Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

30 Year Anniversary of Punk!

30 Year Anniversary of Punk!

Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:32 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 30 Year Anniversary of Punk!

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
It was a long time ago but yeah that sounds right...
That was their trademark.
Led by Thomas ' Menzie' Mensi Geordie loonie

http://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/angelicupstarts.htm
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:36 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
That was their trademark.
Led by Thomas ' Menzie' Mensi Geordie loonie

http://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/angelicupstarts.htm
Amazing how it all comes back to you, remember the gig at a pub that later burnt down in suspicious circumstances, avoiding that head as opposed to kicking it was my aim for the evening
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:42 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing how it all comes back to you, remember the gig at a pub that later burnt down in suspicious circumstances, avoiding that head as opposed to kicking it was my aim for the evening
Yeah right, I got his name and nickname wrong, but close enough 25 years later
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:29 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
your are offically the BE queen of punks - a title held by Lionheart before (not sure about Nina Simone though )
Lol...thanks for the title...as a former punk I'd have to spit and refuse it very impolitely in the style of Johnny to Bill Grundy . I actually saw a lot more bands than I listed but cant remember so many of them as they were "one set wonders" I sang in a New Wave band, which will remain nameless lol. Loved the London scene, Wardour Street and look back on it as a very fun time.
Slipped in Nina and Teardrop as both influenced the music I moved onto from punk.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:55 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in 1976
However I did love the Manic Street Preachers during their "You Love Us/ Motorcycle Emptiness" early years and have seen them live 52 times!
I also used to hang out with the lead singer James in a pub in Shepherds Bush for much of my early 20's
Got to see New Order play a couple of Joy Division songs my fave being 'Isolation' after the show had ended, when I was in the audience at TFI Friday.
I was raised on a diet of my Dads Thin Lizzy , Led Zep and Jam records so I didn't have much choice really.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

Sorry they werent normally that kind of band often had strong influences on other bands and as I said earlier the new wave thing spawned lots of bands you will have heard of, guess you had to be there...
I was there!
I appreciate what you are saying although the Sex Pistols made it into the charts didn't they? If something is popular and it sells then it gets into the charts. If it didn't then the movement wasn't as popular as is made out. New Wave yes, I agree that was a big movement. How much of that came from punk I'm not so sure. As a musician I'm well aware of how all music history is described as a neat linear path with musical movement following one strand. It's not true really because there are always lots of musicians taking their influences from lots of places. I just think punk is overated as an influence. Maybe the image, vibe and attitude but musical elements not so much. Rock with a raw edge and attitude was around before punk came along, just look at the Who for instance.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:36 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
I was there!
I appreciate what you are saying although the Sex Pistols made it into the charts didn't they? If something is popular and it sells then it gets into the charts. If it didn't then the movement wasn't as popular as is made out. New Wave yes, I agree that was a big movement. How much of that came from punk I'm not so sure. As a musician I'm well aware of how all music history is described as a neat linear path with musical movement following one strand. It's not true really because there are always lots of musicians taking their influences from lots of places. I just think punk is overated as an influence. Maybe the image, vibe and attitude but musical elements not so much. Rock with a raw edge and attitude was around before punk came along, just look at the Who for instance.
Sorry mate, no offence. I was into punk, new wave and the rock stuff at the same time. I suppose its hard to pinpoint how much influence it had, every generation has its sound and feel to it. I was one of those people who was into rock bands when everyone else was going to see Grease so it appealed to my rebellious nature. I can remember our English teacher showing us a picture in a newspaper of someone with a nose ring with a chain attached and it was totally shocking. But then I remember my parents being shocked by the rolling stones when I was a kid.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:13 pm
Banned

In addition to many of the more popular band I saw such as
The Clash
The Damned
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Buzzcocks
Adam & the Ants

I also saw many hardcore punk bands which have probably been long forgotten by most people, such as

The Crass - One of my favorite bands ever ( about 7 times)
Poison Girls - Usually supported The Crass
The Cramps
Anti - Nowhere League
Discharge
The Exploited
Dead Kennedies
Killing Joke
UK Subs
Stiff Little Fingers
Slaughter & The Dogs
The Slits
The Mekons
Flux of pink Indians
Peter & the test tube Babies
Motorhead - Had a punk following despite being a metal band
Big Audio Dynamite - Mick Jones band after he left The Clash

Local Brum bands/mates were
GBH
Drongos for Europe
Dead Wretched

Also saw many New wave, psychobilly and various other spin-offs from punk
including
Classix Nouveaux
Flock of Seagulls
The Meteors
Devo
Aztec camera
Steven 'Tin Tin' Duffy

These are just some of the bands that I actually remember seeing. The Brum punk rock scene seemed to have gigs playing practically every week at The Cedar Club, Digbeth Civic Hall and various other venues in and around Birmingham.
Unfortunately I was a bit young for Rebecca's and Barbarella's who hosted many of the original punk gigs in 1976/77

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Apr 4th 2006 at 4:25 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to except my reward ba ba bap ba ba ba ba bap ba etc etc
Oh Yeah, that's it. thanks.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we have to hand the title back to lionheart, that's quite a list
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:51 am
Banned

What a coincidence!! A friend of mine ran into the guitarist from GBH in a pub in Los Angeles a couple of nights ago and they got talking.
They got talking about people they knew and my name came up, we are meeting up for a pint tonight.
I have not seen him in close to 20 odd years apart from a brief chat through a chain link fence at a concert 5 years ago.

Punks not dead
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:55 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Punks not dead
its just got a bit of a bad back and is thinning a little ...........
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:59 am
Banned

its just got a bit of a bad back and is thinning a little ...........
..........but can still issue a swifter kick to the bollocks than any sustained in Palm Springs
Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:00 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

..........but can still issue a swifter kick to the bollocks than any sustained in Palm Springs
tell him when you see him I once had a great BJ to City Baby Attacked by Rats.... very romantic
Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:03 am
Banned

tell him when you see him I once had a great BJ to City Baby Attacked by Rats.... very romantic
I think you mean leather, bristles, studs and acne
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

............ sorry, I'm getting confused in my old age, that was the guy that actually gave you the BJ

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Apr 6th 2006 at 1:10 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.