Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

3 Questions from someone in Aus.

3 Questions from someone in Aus.

Old Nov 28th 2009, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 Questions from someone in Aus.

Just checking out a few things.... the first could be an Urban Myth or could indeed be true.

Is it true that bar tenders in New York can earn over 2,000 USD per week (mostly tips I'm led to believe) ? Or is it more likely that a young lady would be earning this kind of money via surreptitious means.

Is it true that you can find people that can "assist" in getting green cards or put another way via people that you know ? Or would it be more likely that someone that can more or less guaranty a green card is involved in some kind of crime.

Last question far less innoccuous than the above.... which is the best value US Mail box for buying things in the US and having them sent to the street address and then on from there.

Many thanks in advance.

Concerned of Melbourne.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 28th 2009 at 3:14 am.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Questions from someone in Aus.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Just checking out a few things.... the first could be an Urban Myth or could indeed be true.

Is it true that bar tenders in New York can earn over 2,000 USD per week (mostly tips I'm led to believe) ? "Lol - I see it this way. Only if it were that easy, everyone would just be a bar tender" Or is it more likely that a young lady would be earning this kind of money via surreptitious means.

Is it true that you can find people that can "assist" in getting green cards "Yes, the breed is called 'lawyers' & the only legal way of getting a GC is marriage to USC, employment or lottery. There may be other legal ways too - LEGAL being the key word here" or put another way via people that you know ? Or would it be more likely that someone that can more or less guaranty a green card is involved in some kind of crime.

Last question far less innocuous than the above.... which is the best value US Mail box for buying things in the US and having them sent to the street address and then on from there.

Many thanks in advance.

Concerned of Melbourne.
I wonder why such odd questions....
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are a shit hot bat tender I can well imagine you could earn a lot of money in the right place, mainly tips.

Employer, Immediate Relative, none HAVE to be criminals.

You would double up on shipping, send them direct.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:27 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
If you are a shit hot bat tender I can well imagine you could earn a lot of money in the right place, mainly tips...
I think he's worried that she may be tending bats, not bars, too. Seems like a quick way to earn $2,000 per week!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I think he's worried that she may be tending bats, not bars, too. Seems like a quick way to earn $2,000 per week!
Or spell checker?
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:39 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Or spell checker?
Sorry, did I forget to put enough emoticons in for you?
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:53 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

many online vendors won't deliver to p.o. boxes, besides, even if they would, how would you forward mail overseas w/o the correct postage to do so?

Originally Posted by E3only
I wonder why such odd questions....
well, in Hollywood, much of the waitstaff seem to be actors...

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Unless you were Robin, then you could get away with saying "Batman, a beer if you would..."
Old Nov 28th 2009, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it true that bar tenders in New York can earn over 2,000 USD per week (mostly tips I'm led to believe) ? Or is it more likely that a young lady would be earning this kind of money via surreptitious means.
There are definitely ways that a young lady can make over $2,000 per week (or even in just a few hours) in New York. Some of them may involve working in a bar and some of them may even be legal.

Is it true that you can find people that can "assist" in getting green cards or put another way via people that you know ?
Yes

Or would it be more likely that someone that can more or less guaranty a green card is involved in some kind of crime.
If you are eligible for a green card then pretty much anyone can "more or less" guarantee that you will get one ...
Old Nov 28th 2009, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Like people say, you can earn a ton of money bartending anywhere. However, unlike most other countries bartending is a profession that to earn that money requires specialized training, certifications and experience. You can't just rock up with no experience and expect to a) get a job and b) make much money.

Again, as has been said, mostly you HAVE to have somebody you know to assist you in getting a greencard since you can't just apply for one. It cold be an immediate family member or it may be an employer but I have a feeling that you are describing something a little different and certainly illegal.

The most cost effective mailbox in the US is the one of somebody you know since it's free.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:18 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There is a sliver of truth in a lot of what you are hearing, but it is also true that scam artists will uses stories like this in an attempt to get you some money.

Getting a green card is a true pain. Just getting a visa to come to the US is incredibly difficult for the vast majority of individuals. People will spin these tales of low skilled jobs paying huge amounts of cash with easy paths to visas and green cards, and they'll do it for you for just a small fee. A few hundred pounds and you are set for a job that pays tens of thousands.

The truth often is that they may submit an application for you, but you haven't a chance in hell of getting it approved. It gets rejected and then you have a little box you have to tick on every form you ever use to visit the US again saying "I've applied for a visa and was rejected" which can often mean the border agent at the port of entry will put you back on the plane and refuse you admission as well.

Be extremely careful following up on this. Many folks come to this board with stories they've heard in a pub about bar tenders/waiters/retail clerks/call center operators/hairdressers being in high demand in the US and thousands of dollars just waiting to be given out. It's just not the case...
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Johnny Blood will become famous soon enough

If you are being recruited by someone who claims they can get you a bartending job that pays $2,000/week, it is 100% a scam/trick/something other than bartending.

Yes, it is probably possible for a woman to make that as a bartender in NYC. The bar owner hardly needs to import someone from Australia to take a job that 99.99% of NYC bartenders would take.

If you are just wondering about being a bartender then you should not expect to make $2,000 a week!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnny Blood
If you are being recruited by someone who claims they can get you a bartending job that pays $2,000/week, it is 100% a scam/trick/something other than bartending.

Yes, it is probably possible for a woman to make that as a bartender in NYC. The bar owner hardly needs to import someone from Australia to take a job that 99.99% of NYC bartenders would take.

If you are just wondering about being a bartender then you should not expect to make $2,000 a week!
My London based Daughter has a New Yorker female friend thats been working as a Bar tender in NYC for a number of years...She's known this girl for around 4-5 years now.... I'd heard about these wages via my daughter and via heresay... I just wanted to know what people that actually lived there said that were independant. So I'm going to stop worrying now.... I'm fairly confident it's 100 pct legit..... In fact this New Yorker claims USD 3,000 at times and has a very central apartment..

Thought I'd explain myself seeing as people responded so well.... Many thanks guys.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 28th 2009 at 11:22 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 11:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My London based Daughter has a New Yorker female friend thats been working as a Bar tender in NYC for a number of years...She's known this girl for around 4-5 years now.... I'd heard about these wages via my daughter and via heresay... I just wanted to know what people that actually lived there said that were independant. So I'm going to stop worrying now.... I'm fairly confident it's 100 pct legit..... In fact this New Yorker claims USD 3,000 at times and has a very central apartment..

She has also been told that a green card will not be a problem for her.... this part worries me slightly. In UK terms she has the equiv of 5 A levels and thats about the only qualifications she has...No uni degrees etc... besides working as a PA in London for the last year or so..

Thought I'd explain myself seeing as people responded so well.... Many thanks guys.

Looks like Nepotism works right around the world.... certainly a major force in Aus.
hi there.. I still don't understand..
Your daughter is being recruited for this position? No one will get a 'green card' (Permanent Residency) for a job like that.

You can look for posts in the USA & Trailer Park forums from user 'penguinbar'. She has been a professional bartender in NYC for a number of years and if you PM, she'll probably give you the low down on wages & tip income, but it's not the same for a greenhorn bartender.

But back to the Green Card, read this wiki entry: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
She can also look at the US Embassy/London website under "Immigrant Visas" to see the ways one gets to apply for an IV.
If someone is promising her a Green Card, you should be more than a little worried, unless there's a wedding scheduled that you don't know about.

PS: I don't get the nepotism comment either.. ?
Old Nov 28th 2009, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
hi there.. I still don't understand..
Your daughter is being recruited for this position? No one will get a 'green card' (Permanent Residency) for a job like that.

You can look for posts in the USA & Trailer Park forums from user 'penguinbar'. She has been a professional bartender in NYC for a number of years and if you PM, she'll probably give you the low down on wages & tip income, but it's not the same for a greenhorn bartender.

But back to the Green Card, read this wiki entry: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
She can also look at the US Embassy/London website under "Immigrant Visas" to see the ways one gets to apply for an IV.
If someone is promising her a Green Card, you should be more than a little worried, unless there's a wedding scheduled that you don't know about.

PS: I don't get the nepotism comment either.. ?
Hopefully it's all bullsheet....

As for any Wedding, I really dont like that idea in any way shape or form... we dont need any more backdoor migrants here in Aus

To be honest I'd much rather my Daughter doesnt end up living in the US.

I'd say thats probably now not going to happen. Which is fine in my book.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 28th 2009 at 11:46 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Most of that money would go on federal, state and city taxes followed by medical insurance unless they like to gamble...

Job that doesn't offer medical insurance usually results in a lower net take once everything is factored in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.