Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2nd-grader punished for using word ‘gay’

2nd-grader punished for using word ‘gay’

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:36 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2nd-grader punished for using word ‘gay’

LAFAYETTE, LA. - A second-grader was scolded and forced to write "I will never use the word ‘gay’ in school again" after he told a classmate about his lesbian mother, the American Civil Liberties Union alleged Monday.

According to the ACLU, which filed a complaint with the Lafayette Parish School Board, 7-year-old Marcus McLaurin was waiting in line to go to recess Nov. 11 at Ernest Gaullet Elementary School when a classmate asked him about his mother and father.

Marcus responded that he had two mothers because his mother is gay. When the other child asked for explanation, Marcus told him: "Gay is when a girl likes another girl," according to the complaint.

A teacher, overhearing the remark, scolded Marcus, telling him "gay" is a "bad word" and sending him to the principal’s office. The following week, the school required the boy to attend a behavioral clinic at 6:45 a.m., where he was forced to repeatedly write "I will never use the word ‘gay’ in school again," the civil liberties group said.

A phone message left for James Easton, superintendent of Lafayette Parish schools, was not immediately returned Monday.

The ACLU claims that Marcus’s constitutional rights were violated by the school district.

I really don't think this needs any comment from me!

Patrick
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a copy of the story.

Bigots R Us

I saw this earlier today on the message board of another site for parents Gamerdad and I did feel the need to comment.

It's just wrong, why do they allow children to be treated this way in school? I hope the Mother sues the pants off the teacher for the emotional distress caused to her child.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 3:39 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

If the teacher is a good looking lass then she may well have the pants of her!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 4:09 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scotch03
If the teacher is a good looking lass then she may well have the pants of her!
LMAO
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:45 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I let my kids school know staright away that I wasn't putting up with any BS from them.... in a nice way of course!

It's my opinion that teachers will try to get away with whatever they can. -- So it is nothing unusual for me to call and question anything my children tell me about their day!

At the end of the day it is up to us.... spending 8 hours or so a day with a tyrant is OK when you are an adult, but a grade school child needs support from home too!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:51 pm

cbone is on a distinguished road
Default gay word

talking of emotional distress, what about the fact that the kid has 2 mums and not a dad. We all know how cruel school can be I think he will have a lot worse to come when he gets older and the other kids learn of his dyke mum !!
This is just my opinion !!! so no backlashes !!
He's going to grow up well fu**ed up
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:53 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gay word

Originally posted by cbone
talking of emotional distress, what about the fact that the kid has 2 mums and not a dad. We all know how cruel school can be I think he will have a lot worse to come when he gets older and the other kids learn of his dyke mum !!
Don't you have some witches to burn!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

adamfdz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2nd-grader punished for using word ‘gay’

Originally posted by Patrick
LAFAYETTE, LA. - A second-grader was scolded and forced to write "I will never use the word ‘gay’ in school again" after he told a classmate about his lesbian mother, the American Civil Liberties Union alleged Monday.

According to the ACLU, which filed a complaint with the Lafayette Parish School Board, 7-year-old Marcus McLaurin was waiting in line to go to recess Nov. 11 at Ernest Gaullet Elementary School when a classmate asked him about his mother and father.

Marcus responded that he had two mothers because his mother is gay. When the other child asked for explanation, Marcus told him: "Gay is when a girl likes another girl," according to the complaint.

A teacher, overhearing the remark, scolded Marcus, telling him "gay" is a "bad word" and sending him to the principal’s office. The following week, the school required the boy to attend a behavioral clinic at 6:45 a.m., where he was forced to repeatedly write "I will never use the word ‘gay’ in school again," the civil liberties group said.

A phone message left for James Easton, superintendent of Lafayette Parish schools, was not immediately returned Monday.

The ACLU claims that Marcus’s constitutional rights were violated by the school district.

I really don't think this needs any comment from me!

Patrick
Bloody amazing! But not surprising. America is a puritanical country, which prefers to bury its collective head in the sand on issues such as homosexuality, HIV/AIDS, STD's, teen pregnancy etc etc

While the 'South' remains ferociously heavy-duty christian this will continue day to day....
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:27 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cbone
Give me a break! He'll grow up with two moms that love him. Growing up surrounded with LOVE doesn't ***** a child up.

I hope that teacher gets her sorry arse sued. I really wonder if she grew up on an island and just set foot out in the world.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jcapulet
Give me a break! He'll grow up with two moms that love him. Growing up surrounded with LOVE doesn't ***** a child up.

No but getting his ass kicked and getting teased relentlessly for all his school years will.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:48 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
No but getting his ass kicked and getting teased relentlessly for all his school years will.
Children with gay parents aren't the only ones in school who are targets for teasing and beatings by others.

Unfortunately the ignorant schoolteacher, a supposed role model, set a negative example to other kids by punishing this child for being a part of a family/lifestyle that is not her own.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jcapulet
Children with gay parents aren't the only ones in school who are targets for teasing and beatings by others.
Maybe but it is a huge glaring target for a bully.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 3:06 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
Maybe but it is a huge glaring target for a bully.
Even more reason for tollerance from the school, if the teachers point out he is weird and different then the children have carte blanche to bully the poor mother****er!

And to think I thought my school was intollerant because I was sent home twice for my hair touching my collar!

Patrick
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 3:16 pm

cbone is on a distinguished road

I totally agree!! Kids don't think of morals or compasion when teasing other kids. It's not until they are older and have their own kids that they realise what affect the teasing could have had.

I used to live next door to 2 gay mean and one of those had kids who were being bullied, due to the fact their dad was a poof. I don't think you will ever stop this in schools. You could call it part of the growing up process being teased.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

It's been my experience here with our childrens Elementary school that the whole set up is designed to squash any independent thought you might have as early as possible.

They are the borg and the children will be assimilated. All sing from the same song sheet. Do as you are told, immediately, no matter how stupid the command.

It prepares them all nicely to accept anything they are told by the government etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.