British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   25 Most Influential Brit Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/25-most-influential-brit-expats-339930/)

dbj1000 Nov 28th 2005 3:55 pm

25 Most Influential Brit Expats

The Times Business Online has a pretty interesting article listing what they think are the 25 most influential British Expats in the US right now.

CarlM Nov 28th 2005 4:00 pm

Re: 25 Most Influential Brit Expats

Originally Posted by dbj1000
The Times Business Online has a pretty interesting article listing what they think are the 25 most influential British Expats in the US right now.

Clearly nobody had told them that i now hold the illustrious Associates Degree.

Manc Nov 28th 2005 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by CarlM
Clearly nobody had told them that i now hold the illustrious Associates Degree.

I didn't make the list neither.

my HND from John Moores ain't worth a toss either.

TouristTrap Nov 28th 2005 4:25 pm

But now Nashville has taken to Reed. In 2003 he beat senators, the governor of Tennessee and the mayor of Nashville to be named both Tennessean of the Year and the most influential person in Nashville.
Was it just me or did anyone else find that amusing? :D

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 28th 2005 4:42 pm

16 MARK BURNETT, president of Mark Burnett Productions, age 45

The billionaire British-born Burnett has America by the eyeballs. The king of reality TV, his hits shows, including Survivor and The Apprentice, regularly pull in audiences of 20m. ... He arrived in America in 1983 with no work permit and took a series of jobs including nanny and chauffeur...

So...how did he get to stay we wonder?

Manc Nov 28th 2005 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

He won immunity.

I'll get me coat.

Ray Nov 28th 2005 4:52 pm

He arrived in America in 1983 with no work permit and took a series of jobs including nanny and chauffeur...

Working for the head of the INS...

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 28th 2005 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
He won immunity.

I'll get me coat.

:D but what challenge did he do for it?

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 28th 2005 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Working for the head of the INS...

could be a good career move

CarlM Nov 28th 2005 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
I didn't make the list neither.

my HND from John Moores ain't worth a toss either.

They wouldnt know quality if it bit them on the arse quite frankly. I happen to be able to influence several student work studies and a secretary - Thats power, lad.

BigDavyG Nov 28th 2005 5:09 pm

Impressive list.
By the way, i'm number 26 in case anyone was wondering.

BigDavyG Nov 28th 2005 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000

I think the question that everyone wants to know the answer to is how many of them post on here ???

NC Penguin Nov 28th 2005 5:18 pm

Huhh. Only one woman in the Top 25.... :(

NC Penguin

BigDavyG Nov 28th 2005 5:26 pm

16 MARK BURNETT, president of Mark Burnett Productions, age 45

The billionaire British-born Burnett has America by the eyeballs. The king of reality TV, his hits shows, including Survivor and The Apprentice, regularly pull in audiences of 20m. ... He arrived in America in 1983 with no work permit and took a series of jobs including nanny and chauffeur...

Here's how he made his dough...

I was racing in these French extreme races called Raid Galuloises. I was with the first American team to compete in this race in the Middle East (in 1993). We were riding camels, Arabian horses, backpacking and mountaineering in 10 days. It was totally crazy. Our team had to get sponsors, and sponsors want exposure. I had no idea what they meant, but I was thinking, I'll just go and make a show. I did it in a totally unique way. I didn't know the rules, so I simply got the French organizers to provide me all the footage from their 20 camera teams in return for exposure in the U.S. marketplace. I got (KCAL-TV) Channel 9 in L.A. to send a reporter and a cameraman, and I got them to edit the footage plus some of their own footage of me and my team into a 90-minute special. They didn't pay me anything, and I didn't pay them anything. They got to air the show on Channel 9, and then the rights reverted to me. At the time, Channel 9 was owned by Disney. I got them to provide on-air talent: Mark Steines (now a correspondent on "Entertainment Tonight"). So then I took the finished show, which was great, and sold it to ESPN. I told them, you give me half the commercials, I'll give you a free show. I sold the commercials at a huge profit, made money and got the exposure for the sponsors. And I saw how easy this business was.
Sounds easy, doesn't it

CarlM Nov 28th 2005 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Huhh. Only one woman in the Top 25.... :(

NC Penguin

Maybe theyll have got rid of her by the time the 2007 list comes out!