Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

240 volt socket

240 volt socket

Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 240 volt socket

just get a voltage converter -we did and it worked fine!

Not that i sew personally.....not that there would be anything wrong if i did...

and whats with the washer dryer thing, some kind of chauvanistic plan to keep your wife in the kitchen with the white goods?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:01 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Big D
just get a voltage converter -we did and it worked fine!

Not that i sew personally.....not that there would be anything wrong if i did...
I believe you ... that you don't unite or fasten by stitches

Last edited by Franklin; Jul 28th 2005 at 11:16 pm. Reason: Inter alia, changed post!

Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:08 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinyburst
Has any one fitted a UK 3 pin 240 volt electrical socket in their US home? I am thinking of tapping into the cookers or dryers power supply and fitting a UK type socket so that my wife can use her sewing machine. Anyone got any experience or suggestions?

Cheers

Tiny

laughed my tits off at this post!

The U.S runs on different volts and hertz here, save yourself the bother and buy the ball and chain a new sewing machine from best buy.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:04 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser

The U.S runs on different volts and hertz here, save yourself the bother and buy the ball and chain a new sewing machine from best buy.

although to be fair some machines cost an arm and a leg - my mother in law's cost $3000.....
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser

Yes, of course, you are all right, you are all experts after all...

1) The US DOES indeed run off different volts than the UK - in the US they are yellow, in Europe they are purple - won't work at all.
2) Connecting ANYTHING other than a bone-fide made-in-china good ol' US of A plug to a 110V outlet (make sure it's a cheap as shit, non-switched, exposed wire when you take the cover off by 1mm - mind) will, indeed, cause a nuclear explosion.
3) Connecting a cell phone charger up to a 30 Amp circuit will, of course, draw the full 30A thus causing the aforesaid nuclear explosion.
4) All sewing machines in the USA (along with, well, basically anything electrical) cost, well, so close to bugger all you may as well simply throw the lot away and buy new stuff (after all we all earn SO much more here, why not?).
5) Anyone who connects anything to their home electrical circuit is, by definition, a code-avoiding moron who deserves the full weight of the FBI, CIA and insurance companies to be brought to bear.

Now I must go rescue my son from using the 240V black and decker in the garage. The bomb goes critical any minute.

Sensible question...one or two sensible answers...many misleading, sensational or simply wrong answers - about par for the course...
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:30 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndySmithers

1) The US DOES indeed run off different volts than the UK - in the US they are yellow, in Europe they are purple - won't work at all.
2) Connecting ANYTHING other than a bone-fide made-in-china good ol' US of A plug to a 110V outlet (make sure it's a cheap as shit, non-switched, exposed wire when you take the cover off by 1mm - mind) will, indeed, cause a nuclear explosion.
3) Connecting a cell phone charger up to a 30 Amp circuit will, of course, draw the full 30A thus causing the aforesaid nuclear explosion.
4) All sewing machines in the USA (along with, well, basically anything electrical) cost, well, so close to bugger all you may as well simply throw the lot away and buy new stuff (after all we all earn SO much more here, why not?).
5) Anyone who connects anything to their home electrical circuit is, by definition, a code-avoiding moron who deserves the full weight of the FBI, CIA and insurance companies to be brought to bear.

Now I must go rescue my son from using the 240V black and decker in the garage. The bomb goes critical any minute.

Sensible question...one or two sensible answers...many misleading, sensational or simply wrong answers - about par for the course...
OK I give up, which one was the sensible one?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Someone's got their knickers in a twist!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:37 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
For a change it was not me......
Not that I wear knickers anyway......
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:46 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Probably from spin drying them with a 240V plug
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:29 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna start driving on the left again. Should work - same 24-hour average flux either side of the centre line. Peak cycles are about eight hours off, but hey, no biggie.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Tinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for all the replies. I am pleased that I have made a couple of you smile. I am a little concerned about one posters boobs falling off (female very bad, male probably a good thing as long as the beer gut falls off at the same time).

I feel that it will be useful to have the option to bring our UK electrical stuff rather than buying new or having transformers.

I will of course wear rubber soled shoes and close my eyes whilst cutting into the US wiring. I may even turn the power off at the mains. Hopefully I will be able to report the success or otherwise to the group at a later date.

Cheers

Tiny
Old Jul 29th 2005, 11:22 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was not going to leave his hi fi system in the UK at any cost so when we built the house we got the electrician to put a 240 in the living room. He gave us an odd look but did it. I am not sure how they changed the original UK plug but it now has the standard US three pin and has worked well for the past ten years.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to go against the general replies here...
But, if you are let's say "electrically minded" this will work fine.
I have 240V sockets in both my garage (drills, routers, etc.) and my kitchen (coffe makers, electric knives, mixers etc).
I agree with you Andy..its not uncommon here ...but do get it done by an electrician...
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinyburst
Has any one fitted a UK 3 pin 240 volt electrical socket in their US home? I am thinking of tapping into the cookers or dryers power supply and fitting a UK type socket so that my wife can use her sewing machine. Anyone got any experience or suggestions?

Cheers

Tiny

I had a beautiful sewing machine which I bought while living in Germany,did everything but make a cup of coffee!,was going to sell it before moving over here but I got sick and hubby had to do the packing and fetched it over,I was desperate to use it but it just wouldn't work...I called a electrician to see if I could just get a new motor put in it but he said it wouldn't have made any difference,something to do with the power and the voltage,not to mention the cost!....so I had to give up and buy another one,real nice, but can't touch my German one!!!,I still miss it like mad!....all the electrical things over here are SO feeble compared to Europe,even hubby's electric razor sounds pathetic!....good luck...Sophia (Illinois)
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:35 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
I had a beautiful sewing machine which I bought while living in Germany,did everything but make a cup of coffee!,was going to sell it before moving over here but I got sick and hubby had to do the packing and fetched it over,I was desperate to use it but it just wouldn't work...I called a electrician to see if I could just get a new motor put in it but he said it wouldn't have made any difference,something to do with the power and the voltage,not to mention the cost!....so I had to give up and buy another one,real nice, but can't touch my German one!!!,I still miss it like mad!....all the electrical things over here are SO feeble compared to Europe,even hubby's electric razor sounds pathetic!....good luck...Sophia (Illinois)
Its hard work trying to find a good kettle......I have 2 good ones now.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.