Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

22 years old moving to america June 14th Just a few questions..

22 years old moving to america June 14th Just a few questions..

Old Apr 18th 2011, 11:03 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 22 years old moving to america June 14th Just a few questions..

Bruce Campbell is a bloke and he is an Ashley in the Evil Dead trilogy.

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 18th 2011 at 11:07 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

ashley Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point

Why should i pay someone found out all the info i need on this site.......
Old Apr 19th 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sarasota Spa

Originally Posted by ericstuart1006
Hello,

You can get all details regarding license, Bank account, and other details from a expert. You can hire services.
slightly strange thing to suggest

Simply walk into a branch and ask them. I bank with Sun Trust, i opened my account before i had the K1 in my passport, on a visit to the US, i had no SSN, they only wanted a US address, ID (my passport) and i believe they put all 0's in place of my SSN on their system, until i got one and updated them with it. So you just never know!

In Georgia, though i'd been driving 17 years in the UK, i walked in to the test place (needed an SSN first) and they made me do a driving and a computer test before issuing a licence, which was only valid until my I-94 expired. Thus, my licence has now expired. I actually have a new i-94 now which is good for a year, but i dont think i'll bother paying the $20 to get the licence updated again, nobody i show it to (supermarket, doctors office etc) care that its expired anyway

Seriously, most info can be found on the web or with a bit of patience and phoning around... dont pay anyone to find these things out for you, its part of the "fun"!!!!!

maddy
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sarasota Spa

Originally Posted by Madelina
I actually have a new i-94 now which is good for a year, but i dont think i'll bother paying the $20 to get the licence updated again, nobody i show it to (supermarket, doctors office etc) care that its expired anyway
You don't drive then? How do you get to the supermarket, doctors office etc?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

i drive
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

i drive
Driving with out a license voids your insurance, so get into an accident, it won't be pretty...and if you do hit someone, you'll be in much worse a situation just for the sake of $20.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

ahhh you lot, i've been here long enough to smile when you all jump on a small detail fairly unrelated to the original topic, just to have a go ... my apologies for mentioning it.

Georgia allows me to drive on my UK licence for up to one year, until i am a permanent resident, which i am not quite yet. I've even presented it to a State Trooper along with the GA licence with no problem. I only have a new i-94 because i travelled to the UK a couple weeks ago. If i hadnt done that, i'd still have an expired i-94, and i still wouldnt be allowed a new licence. My insurance co have the details for both licences, including the GA licence expiry.

I'll be glad when we get our green cards, seems like all this stuff will be easier.

Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:49 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Please ignore the post by ericstuart1006, it was a crafty spammer who has now been canned (pardon the pun )
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

ahhh you lot, i've been here long enough to smile when you all jump on a small detail fairly unrelated to the original topic, just to have a go ... my apologies for mentioning it.

Georgia allows me to drive on my UK licence for up to one year, until i am a permanent resident, which i am not quite yet.
From GA DDS:

Georgia recognizes valid driver licenses issued to and held by residents of other countries as long as the "Out Of Country" license is valid (not expired). Generally, you may drive in Georgia for up to one year on a valid foreign or International license.

You do not need to apply for a Georgia license unless you become a resident of Georgia. If you choose to become a resident, you must meet the following requirements for Identity, Citizenship and Residency:

(emphasis added by me)

Goes on to say:

You must apply for a Georgia driver's license within 30 days of becoming a Georgia resident. All Customer Service Centers can transfer an out of state license to a Georgia license.

Nothing about being a permanent resident here. I was curious because I have a friend from UK, who now lives in Atlanta on an L1-A and he stated that as he residided in GA, he had to apply for GA license within 30 days of establishing residency.

I've never lived in GA, but I would never take the word of a Trooper on traffic law as it applies to non-indiginous. I have many cop friends (my daughter is in the local Sheriff's Office) - none of them have any knowlege of this type of thing.

If I were you, I'd check with DDS, because I don't think you can reside in GA for more than 30 days and continue to drive on anything but a GA license.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
If I were you, I'd check with DDS, because I don't think you can reside in GA for more than 30 days and continue to drive on anything but a GA license.
well thats kinda my point... they would not renew my licence. the DDS. They stated to me that they would not renew my licence past the expired i-94 until i had green card in hand. I went in there on Feb 1st to change the name to my married name, and they printed me a paper licence only, with the same i-94 expiry date of feb 23rd on it. They gave me a 22 day licence, and said come back with your green card.

Now, there is no legal requirement for me to leave the country and come back in just to get a brand new i-94... so the fact that i did in fact travel, does not suddenly make me a criminal. There was nobody at the border saying "hey, now suddenly its not okay to have an expired licence, best go take this new i-94 and see if theyll make you queue yet again for a new one"......

fcol forget i even mentioned my bloody licence. Once again, trying to share experiences and advice with a new member has turned in on itself... OKAY i'm a jerk, my insurance provider, state DDS and a law enforcement officer are all wrong, you are right, and this has helped OP SO much!

going back into my "read forum only" corner for another year.....
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

ashley Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point

This site does appear like this nice genuine woman says..
You ask for some advise from people who have gone through the process before you. You get treated at stupid and not in the same league as them.
Remember one thing you were once in my shoes..

Excuse me the genuine people who have helped me and gave me good advise..
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jeeeezus, don't get your knickers in a knot!
Just a suggestion there - you know, just in case you come to grief and end-up being sued to kingdom come over a misunderstanding over whether you are insured or not. (I think you may find that if you give them the whole story, your insurance company will confirm that you are not) - but why should I care, eh?
You're far enough away from me that I'm in no danger of being injured by you - so you just carry on.

People of GA beware - it's not just PR's, Cubes and Mexicans that add to your uninsured driver premium add-ons!

As you where - and have a nice day.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ashley Murphy
This site does appear like this nice genuine woman says..
You ask for some advise from people who have gone through the process before you. You get treated at stupid and not in the same league as them.
Remember one thing you were once in my shoes..

Excuse me the genuine people who have helped me and gave me good advise..
Back up, Mister Ashley, wth is going on in here? Shall we review your original questions (covered by many previous threads, but people still gave you the time of day..)

Originally Posted by ashley Murphy
Just a few question to ease my worries.

1. What do i need to be able to set up a US Bank account?
For the mean time transferring my money to my partners account.

2. How long is the process to receive a US (maryland) driving license (I have had a Uk driving license for 3 1/2 years.?

3. What is cheaper posting 50 lb in the mail or paying £35 for an extra bag for my flight.

Thanks for your help.

Ashley
Bank.
Driving License.
Postage.

The additional information brought up about driving licenses is very pertinent.
I would think the bank information is something you'd ask your fiancee as well as posting here, and postage.. well, I think you can probably find the UK postal service rates faster than I can.

Get treated like you're stupid? Are you acting stupid? What information did you bring to the table to show what you already knew? Who made you look stupid?

Madelina, I don't know what your issue is. I didn't realize you were on a read-only policy here. Your situation is extremely unique, which is why it is better to keep asking an OP quesitons to lead them to the correct solution for their own state. People brought up what should be a genuine concern for you, which you say you have already investigated.. fine, but how were we to know?

You all may not realize how many people re-use these threads by reading them and not participating.. your answers may influence people yet to come. That's why it's better to have complete answers posted. If it doesn't apply to you, move on, but let others benefit from the information.

I'm closing this thread and suggest that you recompose yourself and any further questions you have in a new thread. Bear in mind that no one is obliged to answer them.