British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   22 years old moving to america June 14th Just a few questions.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/22-years-old-moving-america-june-14th-just-few-questions-713273/)

ashley Murphy Apr 13th 2011 10:19 pm

22 years old moving to america June 14th Just a few questions..

Just a few question to ease my worries.

1. What do i need to be able to set up a US Bank account?
For the mean time transferring my money to my partners account.

2. How long is the process to receive a US (maryland) driving license (I have had a Uk driving license for 3 1/2 years.?

3. What is cheaper posting 50 lb in the mail or paying £35 for an extra bag for my flight.

Thanks for your help.

Ashley

avanutria Apr 13th 2011 10:51 pm

Re: 22 years old moving to america June 14th Just a few questions..

Hi Ashley,

Originally Posted by ashley Murphy (Post 9303742)
1. What do i need to be able to set up a US Bank account? For the mean time transferring my money to my partners account.

It depends on the bank. Contact them and see what they require from you to open an account.

2. How long is the process to receive a US (maryland) driving license (I have had a Uk driving license for 3 1/2 years.)?

The Maryland Department of transportation should be able to tell you, and Google should be able to help you find their site. It will likely not matter that you have had a UK driving license for 3.5 years. Expect to take a written test and a road test, though this does vary by state. The process can be extremely quick - my DH got his within days of obtaining his SSN.

3. What is cheaper posting 50 lb in the mail or paying £35 for an extra bag for my flight.

It depends on what company you want to use to ship it. Get some quotes from sites like UPS, FedEx, and Royal Mail. It'll certainly be a lot quicker to have it with you on the flight.

sir_eccles Apr 13th 2011 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by avanutria (Post 9303795)

The Maryland Department of transportation should be able to tell you, and Google should be able to help you find their site. It will likely not matter that you have had a UK driving license for 3.5 years. Expect to take a written test and a road test, though this does vary by state. The process can be extremely quick - my DH got his within days of obtaining his SSN.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Driver-S...ly/license.htm

scroll down to the bit about exchanging out of country license

IanR Apr 14th 2011 12:31 am

1) You need to get a social security number first.
2) Usually you can skip the physical driving test piece, but you will need to do a short written test (as each State is different read up on the bookelet each State gives for new drivers). And a short eye chart test and away you go.
Oh in order to get a DL you will need to show some paperwork, like your passport and something to show you are a legal immigrant etc.
3) I would take it with you.

pTeronaut Apr 14th 2011 12:50 am

How prepared are you to lose the contents?

If it's just clothing then take it with you. If it is likely to be damaged be the odd fall off of the cart, being thrown onto the conveyors, then I'd pay the extra to ship with insurance.

Bob Apr 15th 2011 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by IanR (Post 9303921)
2) Usually you can skip the physical driving test piece, but you will need to do a short written test (as each State is different read up on the bookelet each State gives for new drivers).

Skipping the physical test isn't the case in most states, there's only a couple of states that will allow you to do that with a UK license. It's different if you have a Canadian or German license though.

Theory test is generally easy, but reading the drivers book is a good idea as it's the stuff that doesn't apply that you'll get wrong such as penalty points for various infractions for under 21/18 year old drivers etc.

rallybug Apr 15th 2011 8:48 pm

And going on the Utah one, also questions like how far behind another vehicle should you be switching to dipped headlights - they don't have the old UK-style stopping distances, but they certainly like distances for other bits, in Utah at least.

ashley Murphy Apr 15th 2011 8:57 pm

Can i apply for a driving license on a K1 visa???

meauxna Apr 15th 2011 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ashley Murphy (Post 9307795)
Can i apply for a driving license on a K1 visa???

Maybe. You need to look up your state's document requirements. If you look up the webpage and post about it here, we can help you decipher it.

One important thing you'll want to do as a K-1 is apply for your Social Security Number. You should apply no LESS than 10 days after arriving (so that your arrival will be entered in the computer system) but you MUST apply within your first 76 days as a K-1.
If you don't, it just means a longer wait for this oh-so-important number; you'll be able to apply when you have your EAD (work permit). You'll get that after getting married and applying for your permanent residence (aka 'filing AOS").

ashley Murphy Apr 15th 2011 9:07 pm

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Driver-S...pply/proof.htm
Link to the proof i need to show??

On my k1 visa application i put down an old SSN i had from working at a summer camp?? Will this number still work?

meauxna Apr 15th 2011 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by ashley Murphy (Post 9307814)
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Driver-S...pply/proof.htm
Link to the proof i need to show??

On my k1 visa application i put down an old SSN i had from working at a summer camp?? Will this number still work?

Ah, yes.. your SSN isyours for life. After you have your green card, you can go get it updated with your new married name. If you do this while you are still a K-1, you may encounter issues.. it can be done, but might be a little hassle.

I'll have to dig further in your link.. you will only have a valid I-94 for your first 90 days in the US. After that you are sort of in limbo, but it looks like if you apply sharply, you can get a DL.

Manc Apr 15th 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by ashley Murphy (Post 9307814)
Will this number still work?

yes. it will almost certainly be yours again.

although to be fair, you don't legaly need to show a SSN to open a bank account am I right??

ashley Murphy Apr 15th 2011 9:30 pm

Sweet....... thanks guys...

So i have my SSN... valid I-94 for my first 90 days in the US... So if i apply the first few weeks in the US i should be able to get my license with no hassle..

Thanks all.

You have eased a major worry x

Oh by the way everyone i am a MALE ..... With the name Ashley.....

meauxna Apr 15th 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by ashley Murphy (Post 9307850)
Sweet....... thanks guys...

So i have my SSN... valid I-94 for my first 90 days in the US... So if i apply the first few weeks in the US i should be able to get my license with no hassle..

Thanks all.

You have eased a major worry x

Oh by the way everyone i am a MALE ..... With the name Ashley.....

lol, well I guess you don't necessarily need to worry about the surname change then! (sorry 'bout that, there's a gender symbol in your profile if you want to use it)

Looks like you'll need something to document residency in state. You might ask your FI to add your name to a utility account and/or her bank account and/or a credit card account of hers. These will all be useful for your AOS application anyway.

Bob Apr 16th 2011 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9307843)

although to be fair, you don't legaly need to show a SSN to open a bank account am I right??

You're right, though you probably will have to ask for a supervisor as it's not something that comes up all that regularly for a teller. Any identifier will do such as a passport, the hassle comes from shoddy software that doesn't give them the space or ability to enter something other than a SSN, which is often why they babble about the Patriot Act and try and put you off, that or they're just plain being dicks :lol: