Reload this Page >

21 and I want to take a giant flying leap

Wikiposts

21 and I want to take a giant flying leap

Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:16 am
Just Joined

happyboyruss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 21 and I want to take a giant flying leap

I have no idea how easy or hard this is going to be, but I want to take this jump.

Me and my girlfriend have been together seven months. I live in London and she lives in South-West Virginia.

The distance is killing us and I think I'm deciding that I want to move over the pond to be closer to her.

I have no idea how to do this, or where to start.

Ideally I want to initially move over there for a few months, get a job and apartment. Then see how it goes and if I want to stay then I will.

But I really don't understand how the visa works in the slightest.

If I get the visitors' visa, am I not allowed to work? To get an employment visa, do I need to get a job first? Is there any other type of visa that is suitable for what I want to do?

I don't currently have a degree of any kind, if I wanted to take some college classes while I was over there, would I be able to go over on a student visa?

I ideally want to get over there after Christmas. My current fixed term contract job ends in December. Am I asking too much?

Apologies if I've come to completely the wrong place to try and find these things out but I really am stuck.

Thanks,
Russ.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:17 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 21 and I want to take a giant flying leap

Originally Posted by happyboyruss
I have no idea how easy or hard this is going to be, but I want to take this jump.

Me and my girlfriend have been together seven months. I live in London and she lives in South-West Virginia.

The distance is killing us and I think I'm deciding that I want to move over the pond to be closer to her.

I have no idea how to do this, or where to start.

Ideally I want to initially move over there for a few months, get a job and apartment. Then see how it goes and if I want to stay then I will.

But I really don't understand how the visa works in the slightest.

If I get the visitors' visa, am I not allowed to work? To get an employment visa, do I need to get a job first? Is there any other type of visa that is suitable for what I want to do?

I don't currently have a degree of any kind, if I wanted to take some college classes while I was over there, would I be able to go over on a student visa?

I ideally want to get over there after Christmas. My current fixed term contract job ends in December. Am I asking too much?

Apologies if I've come to completely the wrong place to try and find these things out but I really am stuck.

Thanks,
Russ.
hiya russ, why not post this in the visa section, they will have some answers....cheers and tons of good luck
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya russ, why not post this in the visa section, they will have some answers....cheers and tons of good luck
Thanks! Just have done.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:30 am
Account Closed

Thanks! Just have done.
tbh i think getting married will be the solution to begin the process and that is one giant flying leap to be sure however wait and see what them in the know says
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:14 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I
Christmas ....2008....no problem ...
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

London to West Virginia. That's a big leap.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 12:39 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
London to West Virginia. That's a big leap.
The OP wrote SW Virginia.

Anyway, read this article about ways to emigrate to the US:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Aug 20th 2007, 1:12 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The OP wrote SW Virginia.

Anyway, read this article about ways to emigrate to the US:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
SW Virginia makes West Virginia look civilized....

Just kidding. It is definitely going to be a culture shock and a half moving to SWVA from London.

That link above is a MUST read on visas. Quite honestly, at 21, with no college and minimal work experience, your options are extremely limited. Marriage is the one most people would suggest, followed by university (if you can afford it). If you do want to try the school route (and are just taking classes to stay in the US and don't really care about the end degree) try to find a very cheap university that has a low tuition for foreign / 'out of state' residents. You could buy yourself a year here (and learn something at school) and get a better feel for things.

One more point: have you been over here for an extended period of time? Before burning your bridges in the UK, might I suggest an 'extended' holiday in the US with your girlfriend? 90 day tourist visa. See the sites, spend some time living with other Americans (not just as a tourist). Get a feel for some of the expenses you'll be dealing with. If you like it, you can go back and prepare for a longer term trip. If you are having questions, than maybe having a 'fall back option' of going back to the UK isn't that bad of an idea.

Good luck.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do this. It's a really big risk. Could your gf not come to the UK? I moved here when I was 23. Sometimes I regret it. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Getting married is probably your only realistic chance, but that's a bit of a gamble ain't it? Anyway, check out the visa section to the site as well as the link someone posted on the ways in for a better idea of things.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 5:55 am
Just Joined

If I don't try it, I'll never find out and spend my life wondering what could have been.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:00 am
Account Closed

If I don't try it, I'll never find out and spend my life wondering what could have been.
exactly and with age on your side, go on, give it your best shot and all the very best!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:18 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

you have no alternative but to have frequent holidays here or just marry her.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:26 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a 90 day trip and really think about it. At 21 you should leave lots of options open.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:12 am
Just Joined

LA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really nice

Hi Russ

I do sympathize as I was in a very similar boat a few years ago.
I ended up doing a few trips on a 90 day Visa Waiver and then took another 6 month visitor Visa. I didn't want to get married and even that process can be horrendous even when you are doing everything by the book. The USA is just not very easy to get in to.
Think about it carefully dude, and take some long trips and see how you like it. You should beable to do this without a problem if you do it with good funds. Be sure its what you want! If need be, have a duel life like I do with part time in each country and still on the right side of the law!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.