British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   2019 England to Texas driving license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/2019-england-texas-driving-license-929799/)

Littlejnic Dec 13th 2019 4:19 pm

2019 England to Texas driving license

Edit: please advise if you have acquired a TX driving license in the last year and can answer based on your experience. Im asking here because I’m not finding specific answers from dps website and have tried calling and was advised to email due to call volume which I have done but looking for anecdotal advice too thanks!

Hi! My husband is From england and has been in Texas since last dec on a green card. We were under the impression he had 12 months to use U.K. driving license before needing to get Texas license. Maybe I should have researched it further because I’ve seen (in older posts) it’s only 90 days.

1) is it 90 days and what do we need to say/avoid to not get in trouble when he gets his license this month?
2) does he need to have a learners permit first
3) is it possible to do the written and practical tests on the same day at short notice?

usually I do all the researching and arranging but after green card/moving from England + buying a house and us having our first baby and me working full time I tapped and his license has fallen in his procrastinating shoulders!

TIA xx

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 13th 2019 4:31 pm

Re: 2019 England to Texas driving license

A year is for visitors, new residents is very different.

1) well I would not say anything and not sure why it would come up, the rest should be on the DMV web site.

Nutmegger Dec 13th 2019 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12778414)

1) well I would not say anything and not sure why it would come up, the rest should be on the DMV web site.

As Boiler said, and ensure that you get your info from a site with a "gov" at the end! It appears to be the Dept of Public Safety for licenses in TX, with DMV for auto registration:

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLice...ingtotexas.htm

Littlejnic Dec 13th 2019 5:59 pm

Yeah I’ve been to the dps site I’m asking to hear from someone who has done it in the last year

Littlejnic Dec 13th 2019 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12778414)

I wouldn’t be asking here if these were specified on the dps site! :)

TexanScot Dec 13th 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Littlejnic (Post 12778469)
I wouldn’t be asking here if these were specified on the dps site! :)

But it is specified on the site, and I don't understand how it could be any clearer.

The website states:

"New Texas residents can legally drive with a valid, unexpired driver license from another U.S. state, U.S. territory, Canadian province, or qualifying country for up to 90 days after moving to Texas."

Your husband has clearly established residency in Texas, which started the 90 day countdown.

"Prior to the end of the 90 day grace period, a new Texas resident must apply for a Texas license in person at any driver license office to continue to drive legally."

The 90 day period has passed and your husband can no longer legally drive on his UK license.

I wouldn't draw anyone's attention to this fact when he applies for his TX license, but as things stand he is currently driving without a license. If he ever gets into an accident or gets pulled by the police for any reason, things are not going to go well for him.

MidAtlantic Dec 13th 2019 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by TexanScot (Post 12778486)
I wouldn't draw anyone's attention to this fact when he applies for his TX license, but as things stand he is currently driving without a license. If he ever gets into an accident or gets pulled by the police for any reason, things are not going to go well for him.

Also any insurance cover is almost certainly invalid, exposing him to major liability.

Littlejnic Dec 13th 2019 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by TexanScot (Post 12778486)
But it is specified on the site, and I don't understand how it could be any clearer.

The website states:

"New Texas residents can legally drive with a valid, unexpired driver license from another U.S. state, U.S. territory, Canadian province, or qualifying country for up to 90 days after moving to Texas."

Your husband has clearly established residency in Texas, which started the 90 day countdown.

"Prior to the end of the 90 day grace period, a new Texas resident must apply for a Texas license in person at any driver license office to continue to drive legally."

The 90 day period has passed and your husband can no longer legally drive on his UK license.

right I have more questions than that, from someone who has done this recently! Have you by chance? If so please feel free to be helpful.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 13th 2019 8:01 pm

People move to Texas all the time. This is not a one off scenario, just follow the normal process.

TexanScot Dec 13th 2019 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Littlejnic (Post 12778533)
right I have more questions than that, from someone who has done this recently! Have you by chance? If so please feel free to be helpful.

Ask your questions and people will be along with the answers.

But to your point... yes, I applied for my original and first TX license a couple of years ago and the process has not changed since then.

petitefrancaise Dec 14th 2019 12:18 am

PM me - I have a pdf with the complete process for LPR.

decided to add some information -
90 days is the limit for using the UK license. The DPS won't ask for his UK license, there is no reciprocity agreement with the UK.
He will have to apply for the permit and pass the knowledge test. The knowledge test can be done in advance by paying for an adult course ( ~$40) or he can take the test at the driver license office after his application has been accepted.
He will also have to watch this Impact Texas Driver's video in advance and be ready to print out the certificate at the end.
https://impacttexasdrivers.dps.texas.gov/ITYD/
This is the form to fill in http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-14A.pdf but do not sign it - it must be signed in front of the officer
eyesight test ( must wear prescription glasses if needed!)
You will need ALL of the following documents:

· Certificate from the Impact Young Texas Driver’s video completion detailed above·
Passport
Green Card
Social Security Card
Proof of Texas Residency of at least 30 days. Choose 2 of the following
Lease agreement or Mortgage documents with his name on it
Renter’s insurance /home owner's insurance document -
Bank statement - less than 90 days' old
Electricity/Gas/Internet bill -less than 90 days
Credit card statement· less than 90 days
If you have taken an online knowledge test, you must bring the certificate

If you own a car then you must bring the county registration documents.

Once the application is approved, the knowledge test passed then he will need to pass the road skills test.

petitefrancaise Dec 14th 2019 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12778537)
People move to Texas all the time. This is not a one off scenario, just follow the normal process.

it's the documentation required which tends to fox people - it's different for USC/LPR and visa holders.

TexanScot Dec 14th 2019 3:20 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12778601)
If you own a car then you must bring the county registration documents.

Are you sure on that one?

I read it to only be a requirement of you were surrendering an out of state license, which OP's husband is not - he's applying for a new license for the first time.

I owned my car at the time I applied and I don't think I was asked for proof of registration, although it's possible that I may have forgotten.

petitefrancaise Dec 14th 2019 3:21 am

Originally Posted by TexanScot (Post 12778643)
Are you sure on that one?

I read it to only be a requirement of you were surrendering an out of state license, which OP's husband is not - he's applying for a new license for the first time.

I owned my car at the time I applied and I wasn't asked for proof of registration.

yes, I'm sure.
If you don't own a car then you can sign an affidavit to that effect.
To elaborate- on the application form, you have to tick if you own a vehicle which is required to be registered in Texas. They will (should ) then ask for the registration proof.

robtuck Dec 16th 2019 8:54 pm

I love the fact that the admin burden is significantly more cumbersome than passing the tests over here. Sarcasm filter fully applied.