Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2008 Hurricane Season - Message from the British Consulate

2008 Hurricane Season - Message from the British Consulate

Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow 2008 Hurricane Season - Message from the British Consulate

The 2008 Hurricane Season begins today. A message from the British Consulate to all British expats is here.

Dean
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:13 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2008 Hurricane Season - Message from the British Consulate

The link you have in your announcement is a very good one

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

These storms are noticed many days, even weeks in advanced, and with advanced computer modeling you can get some fairly accurate predictions.

This is another good one:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

They have a link for Computer Models which shows all the various scenarios, including the UK Met computer model for the storms.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul
The 2008 Hurricane Season begins today. A message from the British Consulate to all British expats is here.

Dean
I wanted to register but it keep's saying to fill in all boxes, some questions are asking about my visit I live here, so leaving them blank the questionnaire will not except.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:32 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i also tried ro register but the visiting bits made it so complicated and 'untrue' i didnt complete it. Its a good system but it needs to have some logic behind the screen to allow uk citizens living abroad for more than a year (and the visa we are on on is renawable up to 7 years) to completet it more easily.

it could still send a reminder every year to say check the details are correct by clicking on this link or they will be removed.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Dean
An excellent idea.
As an Expat working in Australia for Emergency Management Queensland, I try to put storm and cyclone warnings for Qld on BE whenever I can, especially for new expats who really have no idea of what is involved, or of the power of these storms. I'm always interested to see similar initiatives in other parts of the world

If you are interested have a search through the forum archives for Cyclone Larry which hit Qld 2 years back. One longtime poster, Bix, wrote a lot about his experiences at the time.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: 2008 Hurricane Season - Message from the British Consulate

Originally Posted by britvic
I wanted to register but it keep's saying to fill in all boxes, some questions are asking about my visit I live here, so leaving them blank the questionnaire will not except.

Britvic,

Try registering yourself on a "trip" in the USA for a year. The system will accept your details then. If you get stuck, send me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arrow Re: 2008 Hurricane Season - Message from the British Consulate

Originally Posted by MsElui
i also tried ro register but the visiting bits made it so complicated and 'untrue' i didnt complete it. Its a good system but it needs to have some logic behind the screen to allow uk citizens living abroad for more than a year (and the visa we are on on is renawable up to 7 years) to completet it more easily.

it could still send a reminder every year to say check the details are correct by clicking on this link or they will be removed.
Ms Elui,

It's easier for all if you do a renewal every year, and it only takes a couple of minutes to check over or amend. You'd be amazed at what could change in a year (name, address, phone number, email address etc). Can I persuade you to have another go?

Dean
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
An excellent idea.
As an Expat working in Australia for Emergency Management Queensland, I try to put storm and cyclone warnings for Qld on BE whenever I can, especially for new expats who really have no idea of what is involved, or of the power of these storms. I'm always interested to see similar initiatives in other parts of the world

If you are interested have a search through the forum archives for Cyclone Larry which hit Qld 2 years back. One longtime poster, Bix, wrote a lot about his experiences at the time.
I'll check it out. You might also want to let your fellow Expats in Australia know about the on-line registration system Locate. Their details will be managed by the High Commission in Canberra and the Consulate's around Australia.

Dean
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Britvic,

Try registering yourself on a "trip" in the USA for a year. The system will accept your details then. If you get stuck, send me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Thanks for the reply on a Sunday will do.