Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 Young Professionals who want to move to the USA

2 Young Professionals who want to move to the USA

Old Jan 16th 2014, 1:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Young Professionals who want to move to the USA

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, a Dutch mate got it in 8 goes, .....
Someone I used to work with in London got it in his early twenties. I'm not sure how many times he'd tried, but I don't believe he was old enough for it to have been as many as eight.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 1:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I admit my comment was a little tongue-in-cheek though I think it's weighted to different countries and regions? So if you were born in some obscure 'stan or Pacific island nation you'd stand a pretty good chance of getting in.
It's here under the Distribution and Lottery Process heading. Nowhere except Oceania has a greater than 2% chance, and 80% of the visas go to Europe and Africa where the odds are 1.3%.and 1.8% respectively. So the odds are "much better" than I suggested above, .... but still rather remote!
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

SSRS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, useful information- even though diappointing!

Guess it's back to the drawing board.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SSRS1
Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to this forum and I would love to get some advice from you guys on the above topic. In short my husband is a project manager/ business analyst for IT within financial services, and I am a learning and development consultant.
What nationality are you? If you're anything other than Canadian or Mexican I'd say the odds are very slim, I'm sure that FAQ mentions the H-1B quota which makes it very hard. Immigration into the US is more family-based than employment-based.

If you happen to be Canadian or Mexican then you could go in under NAFTA as a systems analyst, or rather he could, but dependents aren't work authorized.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

SSRS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are both British. We do not have any family only friends in America, so nobody to sponsor us.