Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 years in - life in Michigan

Wikiposts

2 years in - life in Michigan

Old May 27th 2014, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 years in - life in Michigan

It’s now 2 years since my wife and I arrived in Michigan in a UHaul to start my American adventure.

So far so good - got a house last year which has made life amazing. I’ve discovered the joys of having a porch - see attached pic of my Sunday morning view. Everything green, birds singing, sun shining.

Frogs, tadpoles and snapping turtles in our pond, squirrels and chipmunks running around and all sorts of birds. Yesterday was a snapshot of life in our home - a woodpecker was at the feeder and flew off with a beak full of suet so we ran to another window to see if we could spot its nest. We lost sight of it but saw some deer over the road raising themselves up to eat new leaves so we went out onto the porch to look at them and as we did so our usual hummingbird arrived for a feed. Glorious.

Daily commute is easy and I’ve forgotten what a traffic jam is like. I’m putting money away in a 401k and the company does a share ownership scheme which I’m part of.

We miss being able to go to castles, stately homes and beautiful gardens - but not the traffic to get there and back. We miss bacon sandwiches whilst watching the footy and having a local pub that used to be a hunting lodge for Henry VIII

It can be hard to make friends especially as the main interests around here are religion and hunting and TV without a DVR or VPN for BBC would be unbearable.

I didn’t have much of a life - or future - back in England, now I look around at my property and go Wow almost every day.

Thanks to everyone on BE who helped make my move go well and for the continued advice and stories on here
Attached Thumbnails 2 years in - life in Michigan-porch.jpg  
Old May 27th 2014, 3:27 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years in - life in Michigan

Originally Posted by Philk
It’s now 2 years since my wife and I arrived in Michigan in a UHaul to start my American adventure.

So far so good - got a house last year which has made life amazing. I’ve discovered the joys of having a porch - see attached pic of my Sunday morning view. Everything green, birds singing, sun shining.

Frogs, tadpoles and snapping turtles in our pond, squirrels and chipmunks running around and all sorts of birds. Yesterday was a snapshot of life in our home - a woodpecker was at the feeder and flew off with a beak full of suet so we ran to another window to see if we could spot its nest. We lost sight of it but saw some deer over the road raising themselves up to eat new leaves so we went out onto the porch to look at them and as we did so our usual hummingbird arrived for a feed. Glorious.

Daily commute is easy and I’ve forgotten what a traffic jam is like. I’m putting money away in a 401k and the company does a share ownership scheme which I’m part of.

We miss being able to go to castles, stately homes and beautiful gardens - but not the traffic to get there and back. We miss bacon sandwiches whilst watching the footy and having a local pub that used to be a hunting lodge for Henry VIII

It can be hard to make friends especially as the main interests around here are religion and hunting and TV without a DVR or VPN for BBC would be unbearable.

I didn’t have much of a life - or future - back in England, now I look around at my property and go Wow almost every day.

Thanks to everyone on BE who helped make my move go well and for the continued advice and stories on here

Glad things are working out so well for you.
Old May 27th 2014, 3:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear
Old May 27th 2014, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

WhyteBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your post - I know we make our own future but it does help give me confidence that we are doing the right thing and that we can make it.

Interesting that many of the things you miss are the very things I am worried about missing!
Old May 27th 2014, 5:37 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhyteBoar
Interesting that many of the things you miss are the very things I am worried about missing!
Bacon is the big stumbling block.
Old May 27th 2014, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhyteBoar
Thank you for your post - I know we make our own future but it does help give me confidence that we are doing the right thing and that we can make it.

I have found things to fill in the gaps of what I'm missing - e.g. not having a local pub is replaced by sitting on my porch with a beer looking enjoying the beauty and quietness, taking a lazy canoe trip down a river is as nice as walking round a garden.

Proper bacon though
Old May 27th 2014, 5:50 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Daily commute is easy and I’ve forgotten what a traffic jam is like.
One of the joys of living here I have found as well

We miss bacon sandwiches
There is a cure for that.

http://www.balsonbutchers.com

now I look around at my property and go Wow almost every day.
I do exactly the same

Glad you are enjoying life here.
Old May 27th 2014, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute

Nice update. Thanks for sharing but your
Picture is ruined by the disgusting cup
Old May 27th 2014, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Funstuie
Nice update. Thanks for sharing but your
Picture is ruined by the disgusting cup
The only cup we did get this season

But as it spoilt your enjoyment of my post, have a look at the chipmunk and hummingbird with no cup in view.
Attached Thumbnails 2 years in - life in Michigan-humm.jpg   2 years in - life in Michigan-chip.jpg  
Old May 27th 2014, 7:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Cut it thinner. It's good to have a big ol' hunk of bacon of a size you could trip over, but keep in in the fridge so people don't walk on it.

/helpful

Last edited by Pulaski; May 27th 2014 at 7:47 am.
Old May 27th 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Cut it thinner. It's good to have a big ol' hunk of bacon you could trip over, but keep in in tbe fridge so people don't walk on it.

/helpful
Old May 27th 2014, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I have found things to fill in the gaps of what I'm missing - e.g. not having a local pub is replaced by sitting on my porch with a beer looking enjoying the beauty and quietness, taking a lazy canoe trip down a river is as nice as walking round a garden.

Proper bacon though
Yes - I know what you mean. You find new fun to replace the old. Glad you are enjoying life :-)
Old May 27th 2014, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2 years in - life in Michigan

Philk I know exactly what you mean.....
I sold my tiny one-bedroom maisonette in the UK, and bought a 3-bed 2-bathroom house with a swimming pool and an acre of land. ... and still had money left over.
We put out food for the wildlife, including deer, raccoons, the occasional possum, and wood rats. I love seeing them from my bedroom window.
We've got beautiful birds....cardinals, blue jays, woodpeckers, and a ton I can't name.
I know the US is far from perfect, but here on my front porch, in a quiet subdivision, I can sit and ponder my life before and after 2006, (when I moved) and count my blessings.....
I can't really think of anything I miss about the UK, except free access to healthcare (Only 2 more years to Medicare!! )
Ohhh... and I've grown to like crunchy bacon.... and the weather's much better here!!!
Old May 28th 2014, 8:51 am
Newbie yet to move

Brownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I quite like the crispy strip bacon, I've yet to move mind (still in saving and planning stage pre engagement) But when i do, i will be purchasing a bacon bowl that I saw on the shopping channel!
Old May 28th 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Brownsugarccf
i will be purchasing a bacon bowl that I saw on the shopping channel!
It is good to meet another food connoisseur.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.