Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 pieces at Heathrow, Stansted, Manchester etc.

2 pieces at Heathrow, Stansted, Manchester etc.

Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation 2 pieces at Heathrow, Stansted, Manchester etc.

Not sure if this has been posted already:

"Airline passengers have been warned to expect disruption next week as cabin baggage restrictions are lifted at some of Britain's biggest airports while a more stringent regime remains elsewhere.

Limits will rise to two pieces of hand luggage at Heathrow, Stansted, Manchester and 19 other airports from Monday. However, restrictions will remain in place at Gatwick, Luton and about 50 other airports until improvements are made to screening machines and more security staff are hired. Adding to the confusion, some big airlines, including easyJet, are sticking to the one-bag limit."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...try.travelnews
Old Jan 5th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 pieces at Heathrow, Stansted, Manchester etc.

About time they tried to get back to normal - its only as it was before that numpty took his ipod bomb on.

Confusion and delay is usually down to people not understanding, not listening and then arguing cos they dont like the info they are given. Airports tend to turn reasonably intelligent people into complete ****wits and ignorant muppets!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:41 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

A few months back I was talking to a lady who worked for TSA. She told me a couple of stories about how she deals with these people.
One B list celebrity, who was upset he was not being given special treatment, asked her "do you know who I am" - she responded by walking over to the P.A. system and announcing "could I please have your attention, this gentleman has forgotten who he is, if anybody knows could they please come forward"
After queueing for about 20 minutes but only progressing half way through the security line another celebrity complained she should not have to queue with all the other people, she said they should have separate lines for important people. By all accounts she was very rude and persistent. Ginny told me one of her colleagues told the disgruntled 'star' he would take care of her, and she should follow him. He directed her through a door and closed it behind her. The door led back out in to a part of the airport where she would have to join the start of the security line once more. She passed through the second time in near silence, only speaking when spoken to, and not maintaining eye contact.

Originally Posted by Big D
Airports tend to turn reasonably intelligent people into complete ****wits and ignorant muppets!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

SueM is just really niceSueM is just really niceSueM is just really niceSueM is just really niceSueM is just really niceSueM is just really niceSueM is just really niceSueM is just really niceSueM is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira

"Airline passengers have been warned to expect disruption next week as cabin baggage restrictions are lifted at some of Britain's biggest airports while a more stringent regime remains elsewhere.

Limits will rise to two pieces of hand luggage at Heathrow, Stansted, Manchester and 19 other airports from Monday. However, restrictions will remain in place at Gatwick, Luton and about 50 other airports until improvements are made to screening machines and more security staff are hired. Adding to the confusion, some big airlines, including easyJet, are sticking to the one-bag limit."

I just got back from a visit home last November and was totally unaware of the one bag restriction. I had my normal handbag and my carry-on...Luckily, when I saw notices about this rule I managed to stuff my hand bag in my carry-on.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:44 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Just got this from my AA rep-

Dear Travel Professional Partner,

FYI.

American Airlines is pleased to confirm that LHR, MAN, and STN Airports will allow originating and connecting customers to have two pieces of carry-on cabin baggage beginning Monday, January 7, 2008. These three airports will once again be aligned with AA’s carry-on policy of one cabin bag plus one personal item.

Please note that Gatwick (LGW) Airport will not be ready for the new policy on January 7. Customers departing from Gatwick, or connecting through, will still be subject to the current strict limit of only one IATA-sized cabin bag, and nothing else. Gatwick Airport is currently redeveloping the security product to improve capacity and also the physical environment and therefore is aiming to lift the one bag restriction in March 2008.

All BAA airports with the exception of Gatwick Airport will remove the cabin baggage restriction on January 7, 2008, which means that passengers departing from and transferring through Heathrow, Stansted, Southampton, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen airports can take one cabin bag plus one personal item through security.

The restriction on carrying hand luggage through security was imposed to ensure that cabin baggage could be screened to the highest standard. With the introduction of new x-ray technology, improved security processes and additional security staff across the BAA airports, the UK Department for Transport now believes the same high standards of security can be delivered without the need for the one bag limit.

For more information about the new policy, visit the UK Department for Transport website: http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyo...y/cabinbaggage
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:36 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Great news! Got a surprise, short-notice business trip home in a week or so and this will help on the way back!