Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:26 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

I seriously think any Americans with the 'greatest country in the world' mentality need to see Will McAvoys rant from 'The Newsroom'.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:39 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I seriously think any Americans with the 'greatest country in the world' mentality need to see Will McAvoys rant from 'The Newsroom'.
"I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!" Great catch phrase and great movie.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 8:00 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Not that one, the TV show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q49NOyJ8fNA

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 21st 2013 at 8:03 am.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 8:06 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Darn, jumped the gun. Was so happy to remember a quote from 35+ years ago. Note to self...read carefully.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ichigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by kimilseung
.....and I hope Peter King does not trot himself out to tell us how terrible terrorism is.
Cheesy
Old Apr 21st 2013, 11:41 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Doubtless, but unless you count these "countless", my view is that, compared to the rest of US crime, its negligible. For a representative statistic, there have been over 3500 gun deaths in the US since Sandy Nook. How many of them were by "recent immigrants" ?
Go tell the families in Boston to cheer up, that their dead family member is only a negligle statistic. Maybe they will agree with you, you think?
Old Apr 21st 2013, 11:59 am
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Go tell the families in Boston to cheer up, that their dead family member is only a negligle statistic. Maybe they will agree with you, you think?
The point of looking at something objectively is that your are dispassionate. Of course for those killed/injured it's a tragedy.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 12:00 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Everytime I hear people doing that damn "USA" chant, I hate it. It horrifies me. I don't even know what words to use to describe how it makes me feel. It's like this childish "we're better than you are" mentality or something. All I can say is, not every native-born USC feels the need to chant "USA" like it's some kind of Walmart cheer (subliminal brainwashing?). It's just so..so...so immature and embarrassing.

Example of a cultural divide. I understood the actions of the crowd's cheering as a way to let off steam. Most american probably spotted that right away.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 12:04 pm
Often not so civil...

Example of a cultural divide. I understood the actions of the crowd's cheering as a way to let off steam. Most american probably spotted that right away.
And yet when someone makes a Black humor joke (the British way to blow off steam' it's 'completely unacceptable'.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 12:26 pm
Banned

And yet when someone makes a Black humor joke (the British way to blow off steam' it's 'completely unacceptable'.
That is not true! Many Americans appreciate the dark, out-there in left field humor of the Brits. It can be a little creepy and often ill timed (by Canadian and American standards) yet the quips can be very funny. I think most north Americans that have British friends understand the sense of humor of the Brits and how it tends to be slanted toward a negative way of thinking, or a glass half empty mentality. Not to say its bad, just quintessentially British.And certainly don't apply to all brits.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 12:28 pm
Often not so civil...

In my experience it is, and I think you'll find others on this thread that would agree. Perhaps youve been lucky
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:25 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It's the national level of fear I don't understand. I lived in London when the IRA bombings were happening, and then there were the July bombings a few years ago. There was no suggestion of a "lockdown" in London, shutting down all public transport or closing the airspace.

Could not find the original post, so pasted the above from a response. You don't remember them closing airspace because you never had anyone hijack 4 planes in one day and crash 3 of them into buildings killing more than 3,000 people. Had you had that experience, you can bet your butt air space might well have been shut down in the wake of a terror attack. Pity the people that make the decision not to shut it down and then see a hijacking or worse. They would be crucified for that failure.

As or locking the city or certain parts of it down, it has a few specific purposes. When you have suspects at large after such an attack you want to isolate them and close off their options for points of exit. Secondly you want the streets clear so that the only vehicular movement will be law enforcement and also so that suspects will find it difficult to drive away without sticking out like a sore thumb on empty streets. Thirdly, you keep innocent civilians out of harms way, particularly when you have no idea if there might be other attacks. It is a totally smart move. Nothing to do with your perception of a "national level of fear". Just sound tactics to minimize the possibility of further casualties and to enhance the ability to track down the suspects.
I understand what you say about 9/11 - but then we did have the blitz. We know a little bit about death from the sky. But does this mean that airspace is now going to be closed whenever anything happens on the ground? And why only for bombs? What about all the mass shootings? Will that level of armed response on the street be seen for all of it now?

I also understand what you say about making it easier to find someone if nobody else is out - on the other hand, the whole city for one man? It is a bit of a different approach.

I realize that one more death would have been politically difficult, and made that point to a friend of mine - other countries just seem to handle these things differently, that's all.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Er, Bluegrass Lass is an American. Of course not all Americans think or behave in the same way, or believe the same things. Why would they.

Having thought about it, I think that the difference between the "USA, USA" chant and things like the "Engerland" of football or Swing Low Sweet Chariot of rugby is that the USA things carries an aggressive feel of "we're the best, nobody is as good as us in any way and we are going to assert our dominance" whereas the others carry more the meaning of "we support our country/team."

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Apr 21st 2013 at 2:32 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Having thought about it, I think that the difference between the "USA, USA" chant and things like the "Engerland" of football or Swing Low Sweet Chariot of rugby is that the USA things carries an aggressive feel of "we're the best, nobody is as good as us in any way and we are going to assert our dominance" whereas the others carry more the meaning of "we support our country/team."
Yes, it's an act of solidarity, rather than a gesture against an external "other". Eg the Yankees playing Sweet Caroline, or in England singing You'll Never Walk Alone in commemoration of Hillsborough. Or the Queen getting the Coldstream Guard to play the Star Spangled Banner at the Changing of the Guard on 12th September 2001.

Last edited by yellowroom; Apr 21st 2013 at 2:53 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

To my mind, the alternative media is the hope of the US. They don't always get it right, but they aren't afraid to ask awkward questions that the MSM generally doesn't do. Might the Twin Towers bombers have had inside help? Might the FBI have been aware of the Boston bombers ahead of time? Might the Boston extreme over-reaction have been a trial run for a Police State? Might Guantanamo be a genuine torture-chamber used for training purposes, with no public-safety justification? Going back a bit, might the CIA have facilitated the murder of JFK?

I think Europeans in general are more open to the possibility that their rulers are jerking them around. Their history is there to remind them of that. For most Americans, fervent tribal patriotism gets in the way of questioning the official version of events.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.