Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Old Apr 21st 2013, 1:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by yellowroom
The sound made when the letters are chanted - "U ! S ! A !" are very harsh, gutteral and aggressive. I don't think I'd have the same reaction if people sang the National Anthem, or God Bless America or another patriotic song. I do understand people wanting to express relief and gratitude, and expressing it in a patriotic way if it involves the military or police etc, or a reaction to a percieved attack on the nation.
Agreed, one of the patriotic songs would be fine
Old Apr 21st 2013, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Nor was there the equivalent of the "ra ra USA" reaction we're seeing in some quarters. I can understand the relief and gratitude towards the police etc., but wrapping yourself in the flag seems odd and quite disturbing in some ways.
[That's from Post #400 a couple of pages back]

During the London Olympic Games I often had to leave the room when the US athletes wrapped themselves in their bloody flag time after time after time. Not that they're the only athletes that did it - the Brits have adopted the same silly custom - but with such a huge population the USA wins most of the medals, doesn't it? Some time in July I took to my blog and wrote a scathing criticism of all the nationalistic claptrap, and registering the hope that those might be the last Olympic Games. Faint hope, though, eh?
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:00 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The sound made when the letters are chanted - "U ! S ! A !" are very harsh, gutteral and aggressive. I don't think I'd have the same reaction if people sang the National Anthem, or God Bless America or another patriotic song. I do understand people wanting to express relief and gratitude, and expressing it in a patriotic way if it involves the military or police etc, or a reaction to a percieved attack on the nation.
I think it reminds me of a slice from a haka, bended knee, facing the 'other', slapping parts of their body, "U-S-A U-S-A" then tongue pulling.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:03 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I think it reminds me of a slice from a haka, bended knee, facing the 'other', slapping parts of their body, "U-S-A U-S-A" then tongue pulling.
Actually, I would quite like to see that.

Well, once anyway.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you're right! I've been the other side of a group of Kiwis demonstrating the All Black haka, and it was bloody scary!

And Maori culture is more about singing to commemorate events, as people will have seen from that video going round from the NZ parliament vote on gay marriage, and there was a chorus of Pokarekare Ana (video here if you haven't seen it yet). Much more uplifting.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

You really think Swing low sweet chariot or Walk on are that different?

They are tribal chants...different tunes.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:12 am

Yes, you're right! I've been the other side of a group of Kiwis demonstrating the All Black haka, and it was bloody scary!

And Maori culture is more about singing to commemorate events, as people will have seen from that video going round from the NZ parliament vote on gay marriage, and there was a chorus of Pokarekare Ana (video here if you haven't seen it yet). Much more uplifting.
That is nice.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

"Yes, I saw that. It was not a sporting event and that flag-waving and chanting seemed very out of place to me. There are dead and injured people - cheering and doing the "we're number 1" thing doesn't seem to fit."

I agree, but I thought the applause they were giving the police and other officials when it was first over was a genuine touch.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:25 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nokoman
You really think Swing low sweet chariot or Walk on are that different?

They are tribal chants...different tunes.
May I refer the honourable member of BE to previous recent posts by yellowroom and Lion in Winter from today.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by paul32x
I agree, but I thought the applause they were giving the police and other officials when it was first over was a genuine touch.

Yes, I have no problem with that, it seemed real enough.

By the way, if you use the quote button to the right underneath the post it makes quoting someone a lot easier.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

There is sonething about that "USA USA" chat that is particularly repulsive. I just switch off when I hear it, I distance myself from those chanting it. Its sounds so aggressive, I don't know if it is the low tones that the 'U' creates, or the lack of joy in how it resonates.
Yes! Sort of gorilla-like.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It's the national level of fear I don't understand. I lived in London when the IRA bombings were happening, and then there were the July bombings a few years ago. There was no suggestion of a "lockdown" in London, shutting down all public transport or closing the airspace.

Could not find the original post, so pasted the above from a response. You don't remember them closing airspace because you never had anyone hijack 4 planes in one day and crash 3 of them into buildings killing more than 3,000 people. Had you had that experience, you can bet your butt air space might well have been shut down in the wake of a terror attack. Pity the people that make the decision not to shut it down and then see a hijacking or worse. They would be crucified for that failure.

As or locking the city or certain parts of it down, it has a few specific purposes. When you have suspects at large after such an attack you want to isolate them and close off their options for points of exit. Secondly you want the streets clear so that the only vehicular movement will be law enforcement and also so that suspects will find it difficult to drive away without sticking out like a sore thumb on empty streets. Thirdly, you keep innocent civilians out of harms way, particularly when you have no idea if there might be other attacks. It is a totally smart move. Nothing to do with your perception of a "national level of fear". Just sound tactics to minimize the possibility of further casualties and to enhance the ability to track down the suspects.

Last edited by dakota44; Apr 21st 2013 at 6:40 am.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Nor was there the equivalent of the "ra ra USA" reaction we're seeing in some quarters. I can understand the relief and gratitude towards the police etc., but wrapping yourself in the flag seems odd and quite disturbing in some ways.
In the case of terrorism of the foreign kind (and even though these two were mostly raised in the U.S. most will consider them foreign and also supporters of Al Quaeda) it's a way of saying "F@CK YOU we're still here. Not saying that I totally agree with it, but it is really a form of resistance. I will say that even as a Yank I get totally annoyed with the incessant USA chants and the "greatest country in the world" crap. A little humility goes a long way. Particularly when you are out ranked by a lot of other countries in education, health care and more. Not to mention the racism, political insanity and an inability to work together for the betterment of the country.

Last edited by dakota44; Apr 21st 2013 at 6:48 am.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I'm generalising here, but it has long seemed to me that Americans are much more tribal in their thinking and reactions than Europeans. It's as though they're still new in the nation-building business, and correspondingly insecure. Hence all the flag-waving and hand-on-heart stuff that Europeans (and other "old" nations) have out-grown.

Most on this thread will agree with me, I expect. Those who don't, may be insecure themselves with their new loyalty - trying to prove their patriotism with the passion of the newly converted.
Forking to a new thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...3#post10670363
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

When the IRA were busy, amusingly backed financially from Boston, we did not have the 24 hour news media.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...d-name-in-news

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Apr 21st 2013 at 7:00 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.