Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by Bob
I can't imagine doing that in Boston either. Whilst I have left the car unlocked in some parts of the UK too. ......
I sometimes leave things in the bed of my truck while in Lowes, or grocery shopping, and I wouldn't have done that anywhere in the UK (if I had driven a pick-up there ). Last Sunday I left my mower, strimmer, and back-pack blower in the truck while buying groceries.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

I had an uncle who lived in Croydon most of his life. He had a Cortina that was stolen 3 times from outside his house. The last time it was stolen on a Friday night. On Sunday there was a knock on the door and the two guys who stole it had brought it back, said they needed to borrow it for the weekend. Then proceeded to show him how to secure it so it wouldn't get stolen again....LOL.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I sometimes leave things in the bed of my truck while in Lowes, or grocery shopping, and I wouldn't have done that anywhere in the UK (if I had driven a pick-up there ). Last Sunday I left my mower, strimmer, and back-pack blower in the truck while buying groceries.
I do notice that a lot, that people will leave items like that in the back of the truck. I also have a bad habit of not locking my car door when I'm at the shops.

I honestly don't think anyone other than a completely idiodic opportunist would attempt to break into a car/lift stuff out of a truck in broad daylight in either country though.

I need to stop not unpacking my car after gigs though, having all my gear in there is bloody stupid, however unlikely a daylight break-in may be ...
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

My only personal experience was when I had a one week course at the Univ. of Reading. I had an XR3 and first night there someone smashed the drivers window and proceeded to break a screwdriver in the ignition lock. It was a Sunday night and there was a huge storm, my car was soaked inside. I had to deal with getting it towed and the best part of the next morning dealing with the insurance company. What a pain in the rear that was.
We get quite a bit of car break ins here in Gainesville but most seem to be opportunistic, with kids trying the door handles to see if they are open.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nokoman
I'm curious. Do you really think a dedicated thief is interested in whether your car is locked or unlocked?

Same goes for a house. You really think a thief tests doors to see if they are locked or not?
I believe most thieves are opportunists, so will visit houses/cars until they find an unlocked door or open window. They will pick, in most cases, the easiest targets. A couple of years ago thieves went through my neighborhood one night, "breaking into" any unlocked car in a driveway and taking iPods and sat-navs, mostly.

It is for this reason that I always use a steering wheel lock, which is highly visible, to deter would-be car thieves. I don't pretend it makes my car or truck theft proof, but it does make it obviously harder to steal than the next car, which is all I care about!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

I believe most thieves are opportunists, so will visit houses/cars until they find an unlocked door or open window. They will pick, in most cases, the easiest targets. A couple of years ago thieves went through my neighborhood one night, "breaking into" any unlocked car in a driveway and taking iPods and sat-navs, mostly.

It is for this reason that I always use a steering wheel lock, which is highly visible, to deter would-be car thieves. I don't pretend it makes my car or truck theft proof, but it does make it obviously harder to steal than the next car, which is all I care about!
You are probably right. I like the " guide them to the next car " technique
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

You are probably right. I like the " guide them to the next car " technique
Nice to see how this thread has morphed into one about thefts from cars....
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:22 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I have a habit of locking my car doors as I walk away from it, despite the fact that I have left the roof down.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Nice to see how this thread has morphed into one about thefts from cars.....
Yeah, and I never remember a thread going "off topic" before!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
I have a habit of locking my car doors as I walk away from it, despite the fact that I have left the roof down.
It used to be common advice in London to never lock a convertible, because any would-be thief would just cut their way in through the roof if the door was locked.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:42 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be common advice in London to never lock a convertible, because any would-be thief would just cut their way in through the roof if the door was locked.

Mine isn't a soft top (it's a PRHT), but I remember being told the same thing about the MG.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nutek

Mine isn't a soft top (it's a PRHT), but I remember being told the same thing about the MG.
Going even more off topic....anyone remember the craze the yobs had 30 years ago? Stealing the emblem of VW cars.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ichigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really nice

Going even more off topic....anyone remember the craze the yobs had 30 years ago? Stealing the emblem of VW cars.
You have got to fight, for your right, to paaaarty !
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ichigo-chan
You have got to fight, for your right, to paaaarty !

You lost me??
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:19 pm

You lost me??
The VW badges worn as pendants were a Beastie Boy thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.