Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Apparently it is where people without drivers' licenses come from.
I seem to remember Rete going on about this as well.

Presumably UKWinds means illegal immigrants who are not permitted to have licences?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
Not been to California then ? (Or taken a class in English Grammar, but that is purely being a pedant).

What do you mean by "not traditionally associated with the western world ?"

The draconian and overly onerous immigration laws that America has put in place make it almost impossible to come here from the "western world." Also, standards of living outside the US in the west are considerably higher - people in Western Europe don't want to come here any more.

If I look at my own workplace (in Silicon Valley), we are now at 73% Asian, of which a slight majority are on H1 Visas from India. The rest are USC - the proportion coming from anything like the West is tiny and decreasing by the day.

Take the immigrants out of the US, and the country would cease to function.

Of course, if that's what you want to do, then I suggest that you divert some of the huge excess of tax income that currently is wasted on propping up a vastly inflated military, and put it into public education and social services to improve the skills and support for your target "local" population.

But, in the meantime, what would the country survive on ? That would take 20+ years to trickle through.

The vast majority of "murdering lunitics" (sic) are in fact USCs.

For the two years we've been here, EVERY night another murder is reported on our local news. EVERY night.

I know of no-other country in the world save maybe North Korea, where a death toll and failure of society on that scale would be tolerated, let alone excused by glib and meaningless statements such as "we're the greatest - it's the foreigners."

Physician, heal thyself.

Well put.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Well put.
Yes
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:17 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I seem to remember Rete going on about this as well.

Presumably UKWinds means illegal immigrants who are not permitted to have licences?
Mm. Mowing people down. I wonder if the data is kept on road accidents cause by immigrants, illegal immigrants, and US citizens respectively.

Who "indangers" [sic] people the most do you think, in terms of numbers?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mm. Mowing people down. I wonder if the data is kept on road accidents cause by immigrants, illegal immigrants, and US citizens respectively.

Who "indangers" [sic] people the most do you think, in terms of numbers?
From a programme I was watching recently, the Amish are pretty bad drivers.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:23 pm

From a programme I was watching recently, the Amish are pretty bad drivers.

Bloody foreigners.

Heretics too, aren't they?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bloody foreigners.

If I follow the thinking here, it's that 2 people born overseas caused this tragedy. Ergo, stop people coming from overseas and you will stop all future tragedies.

It is an understandable train of thought, but a logical fallacy.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The vast majority of "murdering lunitics" (sic) are in fact USCs.

For the two years we've been here, EVERY night another murder is reported on our local news. EVERY night.
This is for California only, but quite interesting:

Among men ages 18 to 40, the group most likely to commit crimes, native-born Americans were 10 times more likely than immigrants to be incarcerated for crimes in California prisons and jails.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/26/us...ml?ref=us&_r=0

No details on methodology etc, but given that immigrants are to some extent screened, I can well believe that they may have lower rates of committing crime.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 20th 2013 at 9:37 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:31 pm

If I follow the thinking here, it's that 2 people born overseas caused this tragedy. Ergo, stop people coming from overseas and you will stop all future tragedies.

It is an understandable train of thought, but a logical fallacy.
It's the national level of fear I don't understand. I lived in London when the IRA bombings were happening, and then there were the July bombings a few years ago. There was no suggestion of a "lockdown" in London, shutting down all public transport or closing the airspace.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's the national level of fear I don't understand. I lived in London when the IRA bombings were happening, and then there were the July bombings a few years ago. There was no suggestion of a "lockdown" in London, shutting down all public transport or closing the airspace.
Nor was there the equivalent of the "ra ra USA" reaction we're seeing in some quarters. I can understand the relief and gratitude towards the police etc., but wrapping yourself in the flag seems odd and quite disturbing in some ways.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
This is for California only, but quite interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/26/us...ml?ref=us&_r=0
And more, on the national level.

"Although the undocumented immigrant population doubled to about 12 million from 1994 to 2005, the violent crime rate in the United States declined by 34.2% and the property crime rate fell by 26.4%. This decline in crime rates was not just national, it also occurred in border cities and other cities with large immigrant populations—such as San Diego, El Paso, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and Miami."

http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/jus...immigrants-are
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nor was there the equivalent of the "ra ra USA" reaction we're seeing in some quarters. I can understand the relief and gratitude towards the police etc., but wrapping yourself in the flag seems odd and quite disturbing in some ways.
Yes I found that distinctly odd.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:40 pm

Yes, I saw that. It was not a sporting event and that flag-waving and chanting seemed very out of place to me. There are dead and injured people - cheering and doing the "we're number 1" thing doesn't seem to fit.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody foreigners.

Actually, this is a serious, but off-topic observation, and one that I am struggling with at work.

There seems to be something in the American pschye that stops people from questioning authority or perceived truisms. I'm finding that my biggest workplace challenge - especially as my team is tasked with thinking the unthinkable, questioning our past and future actions. It's called Long Term Strategy, and it appears to be missing in spades.

It was NEVER so much of a drag to extract any number of "I'll tell you what's broken 'ere mate" out of people in the UK or Europe in general. Here, if you even so much dare to say "well, maybe that's just incorrect" or "is there a better way to do ...." I find people clam up, fail to grasp the moment, get all worried about saying the wrong thing, etc. Stunning insecurity.

I thought Americans were legion for criticising, demanding, questioning, etc. Instead, just as with this topic, they seem very quick to tell me how well THEY are doing, and that all the ills are caused by those without their immediate group....

It seems to me that this lack of detached, critical thinking is a major issue in this country.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually, this is a serious, but off-topic observation, and one that I am struggling with at work.

There seems to be something in the American pschye that stops people from questioning authority or perceived truisms. I'm finding that my biggest workplace challenge - especially as my team is tasked with thinking the unthinkable, questioning our past and future actions. It's called Long Term Strategy, and it appears to be missing in spades.

It was NEVER so much of a drag to extract any number of "I'll tell you what's broken 'ere mate" out of people in the UK or Europe in general. Here, if you even so much dare to say "well, maybe that's just incorrect" or "is there a better way to do ...." I find people clam up, fail to grasp the moment, get all worried about saying the wrong thing, etc. Stunning insecurity.

I thought Americans were legion for criticising, demanding, questioning, etc. Instead, just as with this topic, they seem very quick to tell me how well THEY are doing, and that all the ills are caused by those without their immediate group....

It seems to me that this lack of detached, critical thinking is a major issue in this country.
Interesting. This is certainly part of the problem my husband is having at his workplace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.