Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by SATX John
The elder was a GC holder, the younger naturalized. Like I said, your earlier post had on foreign reference, yes I do know what you meant, just apologize, say you were wrong and move one. Neither was born in the US, much to your chagrin, and Chris Matthews.

You are obfuscating the incident, by saying, in effect, what's the big deal. 3 dead, 30 traumatic amputations, 140 wounded. Very clear to me what you said.

Enhanced interrogations are not torture. Military get water boarded during our survival training. Notice he is not being Mirandized, due to his imminent threat possibility.

How long can they hold you in the UK, under the 2001 terror act:
The Answer is for Foreigners indefinitely.

2006 Act: Detention for 28 days, likely in a very dark hole, like Wandswoth or Belmarsh, or an undisclosed location.

Your high horse has fallen over.
Ah - I get it now. You're a snob !

I have suspected for a long time that the classless, all equal society Americans blather on about is bollocks, but you've articulated that very nicely.

So, a GC is at a lower social stratum and hence less human than a naturalised citizen, who in turn is lower down the list than a natural born yank. And it sounds like you would maybe test and divvy up natural norms as to their racial purity as well ?

At least I know where I shine in your fermament then ! Would you wish that I bow before you ? Cos I ain't licking anything....

Last edited by dlake02; Apr 20th 2013 at 6:33 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Pics can also be greatly enhanced...so no need to show such blurred photos. The FBI allegedly had interviewed the older brother a couple of years ago. If that's the case...surely they would have ran the suspects' faces through the FBI's data base...and with facial recognition...been well aware of his name and background. Unless of course asking for the public to ID the brothers was a ploy to flush them out of hiding.
Facial recognition software is not as good as most people think. It's rather imperfect and actually throws up quite a lot of false positives. The human brain is still much, much superior in terms of recognizing features. The other thing about releasing photos and video to the public is that they might be able to recognize other things e.g. clothing, gait, etc.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:47 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
So.....30,000+ gun deaths, business as usual. 3 dead in a bomb, lets use torture.
It's ok, it's just "enhanced interrogation" and only for "Foreigners". (Even if they are in fact US citizens.)

Fortunately, my American friends don't salivate over the possibility of torturing him like some here do. SATX and Co. do not represent this country, fortunately for all of us.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets start at the beginning.

It only happened in the first pace due to the Sequester.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:45 pm
Banned

nateusa will become famous soon enoughnateusa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SATX John
Like the Taliban, HiG and Haqquani Networks right?

i am done talking to you.

there is no point.

rip to the victims.

hopefully there will be a day all terrorism will not exist any more.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:47 pm
Banned

nateusa will become famous soon enoughnateusa will become famous soon enough

i'm assuming this was for brit-redneck.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:55 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Hundreds and hundreds of people are shot and killed by Americans in every large city in this country every year.

Out of a vast immigrant population, you have had two bombs in how many years?

Let's keep things in proportion. This is a country, not a private house. And it's not hallowed ground - its territory and people are no more or less special than anyone else. This is not meant to be callous, but the situation would profit from a lowering of the emotional heat around how "they" could do this to "us".
That has to be the craziest justification to ignore what took place in Boston at the hands of two murdering lunitics.There are countless instances of Americans being slaughtered by newly arrived immigrants.There are people driving on American roads mowing down the citizens of this country because the immigrants are not even licensed. And their not even legally allowed to have a driver's license yet they still indanger people's lives by driving illegally.

Its so bad in some states that new laws have been put in place to increase the punishment for those violators. Crime levels have risen in certain states because of the actions of these newly arrived people.American citizens have been shot dead by some of those immigrants.Some of these victims have been family members of famous celebrities which made the crime stand out even more so.And please note that I'm not talking about most or all immigrants.Many immigrants are playing by the rules and are full contributors to society. But I honestly do believe we should slow the amount of people allowed into this country. Allready there are calls from politicians to stream line our immigration toward certain nations and to deny entry to those from countries from the east block and not traditionally associated with the western world.There are also calls to screen everyone no matter what country they are from.Some of these calls are very xenophobic in nature, but fear of these trouble makers is understandable to a certain degree. The same conversations are taking place in the UK about immigration. They feel overwelmed, and many Americans feel the same way.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
There are countless instances of Americans being slaughtered by newly arrived immigrants.
Doubtless, but unless you count these "countless", my view is that, compared to the rest of US crime, its negligible. For a representative statistic, there have been over 3500 gun deaths in the US since Sandy Nook. How many of them were by "recent immigrants" ?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that UkWinds5353 was thinking of the events that occurred over the course of a few hundred years after the US was invaded by (mostly) European settlers ...
Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

That has to be the craziest justification to ignore what took place in Boston at the hands of two murdering lunitics.There are countless instances of Americans being slaughtered by newly arrived immigrants.There are people driving on American roads mowing down the citizens of this country because the immigrants are not even licensed. And their not even legally allowed to have a driver's license yet they still indanger people's lives by driving illegally.

Its so bad in some states that new laws have been put in place to increase the punishment for those violators. Crime levels have risen in certain states because of the actions of these newly arrived people.American citizens have been shot dead by some of those immigrants.Some of these victims have been family members of famous celebrities which made the crime stand out even more so.And please note that I'm not talking about most or all immigrants.Many immigrants are playing by the rules and are full contributors to society. But I honestly do believe we should slow the amount of people allowed into this country. Allready there are calls from politicians to stream line our immigration toward certain nations and to deny entry to those from countries from the east block and not traditionally associated with the western world.There are also calls to screen everyone no matter what country they are from.Some of these calls are very xenophobic in nature, but fear of these trouble makers is understandable to a certain degree. The same conversations are taking place in the UK about immigration. They feel overwelmed, and many Americans feel the same way.
Oh for goodness sake. Nobody is ignoring or justifying anything. All I said was that it would be a good idea not to heat up anti-immigrant rhetoric precisely because of the xenophobia you mention. The vast majority of violence in this country is perpetrated by native born Americans, as you would expect, so this whole "keep them out" thing is nonsensical and out of proportion.

Honestly, I despair. Between Thatcher's death and the Boston bombing people's brain cells seemed to have stopped functioning properly.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Apr 20th 2013 at 8:46 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by steveq
Doubtless, but unless you count these "countless", my view is that, compared to the rest of US crime, its negligible. For a representative statistic, there have been over 3500 gun deaths in the US since Sandy Nook. How many of them were by "recent immigrants" ?
Now you're being all rational. That may not go down well, I'm warning you.

Of course the bombing was horrific. Being rational about it does not imply that it was any less horrific, something which some people seem to have trouble understanding.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

But I honestly do believe we should slow the amount of people allowed into this country.
The problem is not the number of immigrants - it's the type of immigrants. US immigration is too slanted towards family-based immigration (e.g. reunification, asylum, etc). Family-based immigration outnumbers skills-based immigration by a factor of 2:1. We should be bringing in people with the skills to help our economy. In Canada, it's the complete opposite - skills-based immigration outnumbers family-based immigration by 2:1. Foreign students graduate from US universities with valuable skills and then find it difficult to obtain permission to stay after they graduate. Many end up in other countries such as Canada (part of the reason why Microsoft has a large presence in Canada).

Unfortunately getting anything done in this country is difficult because of the political gridlock that the founding fathers designed into the system. They thought it would foster compromise but it's not happening at the moment. The country is polarized politically and that is reflected by the fact that we have a Senate controlled by Democrats and a House controlled by Republicans. No-one wants to help the other side get anything done because they want ammunition for the next election. They are putting party (and in some cases, their own asses) before country which is simply disgusting.

If they can't even pass a very reasonable, bipartisan proposal to expand background checks for gun sales in the wake of Sandy Hook (something that is supported by 85-90% of Americans depending on which poll you read) what hope is there for getting something done on immigration control where there isn't the same level of agreement?

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 20th 2013 at 9:03 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I suspect that UkWinds5353 was thinking of the events that occurred over the course of a few hundred years after the US was invaded by (mostly) European settlers ...

What is 'the east block'?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

What is 'the east block'?
Apparently it is where people without drivers' licenses come from.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Not been to California then ? (Or taken a class in English Grammar, but that is purely being a pedant).

What do you mean by "not traditionally associated with the western world ?"

The draconian and overly onerous immigration laws that America has put in place make it almost impossible to come here from the "western world." Also, standards of living outside the US in the west are considerably higher - people in Western Europe don't want to come here any more.

If I look at my own workplace (in Silicon Valley), we are now at 73% Asian, of which a slight majority are on H1 Visas from India. The rest are USC - the proportion coming from anything like the West is tiny and decreasing by the day.

Take the immigrants out of the US, and the country would cease to function.

Of course, if that's what you want to do, then I suggest that you divert some of the huge excess of tax income that currently is wasted on propping up a vastly inflated military, and put it into public education and social services to improve the skills and support for your target "local" population.

But, in the meantime, what would the country survive on ? That would take 20+ years to trickle through.

The vast majority of "murdering lunitics" (sic) are in fact USCs.

For the two years we've been here, EVERY night another murder is reported on our local news. EVERY night.

I know of no-other country in the world save maybe North Korea, where a death toll and failure of society on that scale would be tolerated, let alone excused by glib and meaningless statements such as "we're the greatest - it's the foreigners."

Physician, heal thyself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.