Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by Nokoman
I didn't expect anything more than a weak as piss answer. I wasn't disappointed.

There is no problem. I can fully understand and respect your opinion. Sadly you are too blinkered to accept others have equally valid opinions that differ from yours.
There is nothing "valid" about torture.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:15 am
Banned

nateusa will become famous soon enoughnateusa will become famous soon enough

i really feel sorry for that poor kid and the family but i do feel sorry for chechenians who fought for years against the russian suppressors. no one cares about them. no one cares about muslims but you have to they are the fastest growing religion.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:22 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Some wise man has said that nations don't have principles, only national interests. "America" (i.e. the rulers of the USA) couldn't care less about the Chechens or any other foreign nationals, except insofar as their interests coincide. That's just the way of the world.
True, but there are many in the American population that do care about what people have to deal with in their lives out-side of this country.Many Americans have been quite sympathetic toward the Chechens over the years. Then you experience a situation like the Boston attacks and as a citizen, it really can make a person prefer a more insular approach toward immigration. We start to feel that there is not enough benefit to allowing people in this country.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by nateusa
i really feel sorry for that poor kid and the family but i do feel sorry for chechenians who fought for years against the russian suppressors. no one cares about them. no one cares about muslims but you have to they are the fastest growing religion.
Like the Taliban, HiG and Haqquani Networks right?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:34 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the events of today. I think it's interesting that the release of photos of the "suspects" yesterday, was supposed to be an appeal to the public for help identifying them.

As far as I have read and heard in media, what happened was, the suspects freaked out, did something at MIT that got campus law enforcement attention, and only then someone realized that could be "them" and the shit hit the fan.

The decision to release the pics was gutsy in my opinion. With hindsight, it could have ended much worse.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:37 am
Banned

nateusa will become famous soon enoughnateusa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SATX John
Like the Taliban, HiG and Haqquani Networks right?
i don't care about you brit redneck.

come on let us know why you have such an angst lad>

i suspect more.

i paid my respects to the victims have you?

if you did i doubt it is because you care.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:39 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I struggle with this post. You post that you'd close off immigration on a British expats board, where the very nature of the members in the main is that they've immigrated or are in the process of.

I'm thankful that countries will take asylum seekers in to prevent or at least reduce genocide. I agree that the process of that can be misused.

I agree, there are plenty of "nutters" out there. In every country of the world.

If you stopped immigration, how would you deal with those of us who have immigrated because of our American spouses? Those who have special skills that can't be found in the US? Those who are investing in the country?
I am trying hard to be objective, but I can't help how this experience in Boston makes me feel.There is a part of me that views immigration as a positive way to grow a nation and a means to exchange talent and ideas.But this episode also is a reminder of the threats that are associated with letting people into this nation.

It's very scary to allow a person into your home and not know if they mean you harm or good will.Essentially that is what immigration is at the end of the day.When you allow someone into your nation they very well could be a broken person that has suffered harm at the hands of other people.And you might be dealing with someone that can not be repaired, and their main focus in life is to share that pain by doing harm to innocent people.

America gave those young men a haven to rebuild their lives, and in return many innocent Americans lost their lives due to this nation's generosity. That thought stops me cold.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:45 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I am trying hard to be objective, but I can't help how this experience in Boston makes me feel.There is a part of me that views immigration as a positive way to grow a nation and a means to exchange talent and ideas.But this episode also is a reminder of the threats that are associated with letting people into this nation.

It's very scary to allow a person into your home and not know if they mean you harm or good will.Essentially that is what immigration is at the end of the day.When you allow someone into your nation they very well could be a broken person that has suffered harm at the hands of other people.And you might be dealing with someone that can not be repaired, and their main focus in life is to share that pain by doing harm to innocent people.

America gave those young men a haven to rebuild their lives, and in return many innocent Americans lost their lives due to this nation's generosity. That thought stops me cold.

Hundreds and hundreds of people are shot and killed by Americans in every large city in this country every year.

Out of a vast immigrant population, you have had two bombs in how many years?

Let's keep things in proportion. This is a country, not a private house. And it's not hallowed ground - its territory and people are no more or less special than anyone else. This is not meant to be callous, but the situation would profit from a lowering of the emotional heat around how "they" could do this to "us".
Old Apr 20th 2013, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Hundreds and hundreds of people are shot and killed by Americans in every large city in this country every year.

Let's keep things in proportion. This is a country, not a private house. And it's not hallowed ground - its territory and people are no more or less special than anyone else. This is not meant to be callous, but the situation would profit from a lowering of the emotional heat around how "they" could do this to "us".
100% agree.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

You have to be kidding, right?

So this was not like 7 July? or the 21 July attempt or the 29 June attempts in London?

Are you trying to say their actions are justified? Just checking. Not heat to you since it is not in the mother country, right. I remember all the IRA talk earlier, seemed pretty hot then, ehhh...
Old Apr 20th 2013, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SATX John
You have to be kidding, right?

So this was not like 7 July? or the 21 July attempt or the 29 June attempts in London?

Are you trying to say their actions are justified? Just checking. Not heat to you since it is not in the mother country, right. I remember all the IRA talk earlier, seemed pretty hot then, ehhh...
What was it about the phrase "let's keep it in proportion" that you didn't understand?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 5:52 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/2627.html

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
Mahatma Gandhi
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:06 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nateusa
i don't care about you brit redneck.

come on let us know why you have such an angst lad>

i suspect more.

i paid my respects to the victims have you?

if you did i doubt it is because you care.
British and Redneck.

There's 2 words I've never heard together.

You made your racist and religious xenophobic views clear in another thread, I suggest you take them elsewhere.

I find it sad how this thread has degenerated, and to anyone advocating torture I am appalled. There's no place for the abuse of another human being anywhere in this world. We need to keep perspective here, this wasn't 9/12, this wasn't some massive conspiracy.

The very last thing that the world needs is for the US to become isolatiost again- as for advocating the closing of the borders, I've got news for you. Without immigrants there would be no US, and there are too many people inside already how would like to do harm!

I agree with the poster that asked how 2 people how clearly liked the US could so radically turn against it.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 20th 2013 at 6:11 am.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nokoman
Michael...Thanks for the detailed report. It's way over my head. I'll take your word for it.

Cheers...Neil
Actually if you look at the pictures of them walking, the video appears to be near standard definition (SD) quality and probably not recorded to VHS tape so the quality is good for businesses. However when you blow up SD to try to get a picture of their face which may only be 1/20th or less of the frame, the resolution is too low to get a very clear picture. Even with HD, blowing up a picture by 20 times or more isn't going to produce that clear of a picture of a person's face.

SD is 640x480 pixels (dots) so 1/20th of that is 32x24 dots or 768 dots total to paint the face.
HD is 1920x1080 pixels (dots) so 1/20th of that is 96x54 dots or 5184 dots total to paint the face.

That means that for SD there are 32 dots to paint the width of the face and 24 dots to paint the height of the face if the face was 1/20th of a SD frame. However if there was a close up of the face, then all, half, or a quarter of the 640x480 dots for SD quality could be used to paint the face much like when you use Skype. The default for Skype is SD but can transmit HD but both sides should have high speed throughput for both download and upload speeds for HD or breakup could occur frequently since frames could be dropped with slower speed connections.

SD quality video normally requires maximum of about 2 MBits/sec throughput and HD quality normally requires maximum of about 16 MBits/sec throughput to produce video depending on the amount of movement from frame to frame.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 20th 2013 at 7:52 am.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:58 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That means that for SD there are 32 dots to paint the width of the face and 24 dots to paint the height of the face if the face was 1/20th of a SD frame. However if there was a close up of the face, then all, half, or a quarter of the 640x480 dots for SD quality could be used to paint the face much like when you use Skype.
Is that 1/400 of a frame?

Never mind, I think I see you mean a 1/20 of the width.

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 20th 2013 at 7:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.