Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Old Apr 19th 2013, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by Michael
Like everything on the internet and cable news, there appears to be a lot of conflicting information. CNBC claims there are brothers but the previous article claimed their names were from police scanners but they reported different last names.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...umors_and.html
Old Apr 19th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yeh, it's way too simplistic. By this kind of "logic" BE is full of terrorists...
Yes - it's the kind of "It's not us, it's them" arrogance which contributes to the very isolation that it is claimed causes people to become radicalised !

But radicalised to the point of automatically be a potential terrorist ? Putting two and two together and coming out with ..... 98.6 ...... is several steps too far.

Why does everything have to get boiled down to Right vs Wrong, Good vs Evil, Us vs Them ? Life is not like that.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Their aunt is currently giving an interview. The family were given refugee status...allowing them to live in the US. So this is what they do (the 2 brothers)...the family came here because they did not feel safe in their own country...then blow innocent people to pieces.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 19th 2013 at 6:56 pm. Reason: Grammar
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:26 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Their aunt is currently giving an interview. The family was given refugee status...allowing them to live in the US. So this is what they do (the 2 brothers)...the family came here because they did not feel safe in their own country...then blow innocent people to pieces.
the uncle has said he's disgusted and ashamed, the father has said they were framed
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

One of the biggest problems is the TV stations are falling over themselves to report something new. This results in them spouting out any old junk.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

There is probably going to be fallout from this in relation to immigration reform and current immigration processing. I would expect any reform bill to really struggle now to broaden the number of visas and there are likely to be extra background checks I don't know AP for all maybe (insert joke about senators voting in favor of background checks here).

If you are in process right now, I recommend doing everything you can to expedite paperwork and get finished. I had friends that were in process just after 9/11, files got lost, fingerprints got lost, nightmare.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Their aunt is currently giving an interview. The family was given refugee status...allowing them to live in the US. So this is what they do (the 2 brothers)...the family came here because they did not feel safe in their own country...then blow innocent people to pieces.
So society needs to examine how it can turn two people that should have been naturally well disposed towards their hosts into people willing to kill their hosts.

It says as much about society's broken state as it does about that of the individuals themselves. As I said before, life is not as simple as Good vs Evil or Yes vs No.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
So society needs to examine how it can turn two people that should have been naturally well disposed towards their hosts into people willing to kill their hosts.

It says as much about society's broken state as it does about that of the individuals themselves. As I said before, life is not as simple as Good vs Evil or Yes vs No.
Of course we can only speculate at the moment, but the Chechen leader has said, "The roots of evil must be searched for in America."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ramzan-kadyrov
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:10 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
There is probably going to be fallout from this in relation to immigration reform and current immigration processing. I would expect any reform bill to really struggle now to broaden the number of visas and there are likely to be extra background checks I don't know AP for all maybe (insert joke about senators voting in favor of background checks here).

If you are in process right now, I recommend doing everything you can to expedite paperwork and get finished. I had friends that were in process just after 9/11, files got lost, fingerprints got lost, nightmare.
I agree....

Do you think that this will change for long term green card holders who keep renewing rather than becoming a citizen?
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Of course we can only speculate at the moment, but the Chechen leader has said, "The roots of evil must be searched for in America."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ramzan-kadyrov
Sadly, I agree with him. Especially if these guys grew up here.

i just hope this doesn't create a further divide between naturalized citizens/immigrants and natural-born citizens, but I bet it does for some folks.

I'd like to know why the think this guy is still in Watertown. If I was him, I would have gotten the hell out of dodge, not hung around.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Apr 19th 2013 at 7:14 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass

i just hope this doesn't create a further divide between naturalized citizens/immigrants and natural-born citizens, but I bet it does for some folks.

I'd like to know why the think this guy is still in Watertown. If I was him, I would have gotten the hell out of dodge, not hung around.
The parents could have had a great influence on their sons. Don't know what they thought of the US but they are now living back in Russia.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:19 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass

If you were him you would not have planted a bomb a few miles from were you live, you would have had an escape planed, money and vehicle, and not need to rob a 7-11. On the information available to me now, it does not look like they did much planing. Not in a good frame of mind by the looks of it.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone seen 'Four Lions'?
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
If you were him you would not have planted a bomb a few miles from were you live, you would have had an escape planed, money and vehicle, and not need to rob a 7-11. On the information available to me now, it does not look like they did much planing. Not in a good frame of mind by the looks of it.
All very much true. Gotta plan those escape routes properly. Not to mention I would have wore gloves putting together the bombs and wore a disguise to prevent easy identification.

The parents could have had a great influence on their sons. Don't know what they thought of the US but they are now living back in Russia.
True JG. But it's possible there was still an influence of the US culture that may have sent them back to Russia... Or it simply could have been missing their homeland.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I heard the uncle say that his brother never lived in the US.

Edit: apologies -- I just heard the interview again and when he said "they never lived here" he was referring to the sons never living at his house, I think. He did indeed say the brother just moved back to Russian.

Last edited by Nutmegger; Apr 19th 2013 at 7:46 pm. Reason: Correction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.