Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by civilservant
My wife just said to me 'why are they calling this a terrorist attack?' When I said because it was clearly a bombing she said 'yeah but it could have been an american'.

Unfortunately for many Americans terrorist = muslim.
Yep I agree. One definition of "terrorist" is someone who "terrorizes or frightens others". So Republicans are terrorists - at least to me.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I haven't seen a single post on this thread expressing pleasure in yesterday's terrible events. I think you need to take a deep breath and re-read the thread fully. No-one is saying what you think they are saying.
+1
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
That's like wondering why Palestinians born in Israel have a problem with the Israelis. The fact is The Troubles were directly created by oppression - e.g. religious intimidation, discrimination in jobs and education, gerrymandering of political boundaries, police intimidation and the absence of "one man one vote." That situation of course was borne of a much longer history but let's at least acknowledge the circumstances that ignited the whole thing. I'm not condoning the IRA or their methods (or the loyalist groups either - let's not forget them) but they didn't mount their murderous campaign to preserve real ale, save the whales or bring back red telephone boxes.
Great, but so what? Al Qaeda can make similar rationalizations for their terrorism as well.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
a) I know why the Palestineans have a problem with Isreal.

b) that has nothing to do with what I posted.

Again, the similarity is from both the way it was carried out (widely/well attended public event - i.e. Enniskillen/Omagh) and by the fact that many think it was US nationals involved, rather than Islamists.

I didn't go into the whys and wherefores. Those (wrt the Troubles) are entirely irrelevant here.
See that's the thing. People want to decide for themselves what is and isn't relevant. They think they can mention the IRA because the IRA used bombs and bombs went off in Boston yesterday. And they think they can mention "Irish Car Bomb" and also mention that Americans (including Bostonians) raised money for the IRA. And then they think that should be the end of it because they've had their joke, made their insinuations and snide comments, and now no-one else should take it any further. Er - sorry - but this is an open forum and you don't get to decide what is and what isn't relevant when you start making stupid comments that, ironically, really were not relevant at all to begin with.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Great, but so what? Al Qaeda can make similar rationalizations for their terrorism as well.
And they do and they probably have some valid points. So what?
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

See that's the thing. People want to decide for themselves what is and isn't relevant. They think they can mention the IRA because the IRA used bombs and bombs went off in Boston yesterday. And they think they can mention "Irish Car Bomb" and also mention that Americans (including Bostonians) raised money for the IRA. And then they think that should be the end of it because they've had their joke, made their insinuations and snide comments, and now no-one else should take it any further. Er - sorry - but this is an open forum and you don't get to decide what is and what isn't relevant when you start making stupid comments that, ironically, really were not relevant at all to begin with.
You're only addressing me for half of that post, surely?

All I made mention of was the similarity in style of the attack and how it seems to be of a domestic origin, rather than foreign. That was it. Yeah, I'm backing up a few members because I feel you have popped in with an axe to grind and have in my opinion chosen the wrong thread in which to do so.

I can't, and won't presume to, speak for the others who you are, I assume, addressing in the rest of that post.

It's an open forum to a point, remember. This is not the thread to discuss some of the things we're veering towards. If you were to bring it up elsewhere in the forum, that's different and you'd be within your rights to do so.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned the comparison between yesterday's events and the IRA attack in Warrington. There were 2 bombs in Warrington...both placed in bins...in places they knew would be crowded. I still stand by that. I know you won't agree with me and you'll argue until the cows come home...but hey ho.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

And they think they can mention "Irish Car Bomb"
When i read that statement made by Bob i understood it to be a serious comment about hopefully now people will see it as an inappropriate name for a drink and remove it. I did not see it as an opportunity to throw in an insensitive joke. In the few years I have been on this forum, I have never witnessed any such insensitive jibes from any of the forum regulars.

I think in this case it may be a case of misunderstanding Bobs actual intent.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

They are reporting that the bombs were made from gunpowder and shrapnel which included carpenter nails and ball bearings housed in pressure cookers. Also it is now being reported that there were only 2 bombs.

I guess we have to wait to find out who is responsible and what was their cause :\
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
All I made mention of was the similarity in style of the attack and how it seems to be of a domestic origin, rather than foreign. That was it. Yeah, I'm backing up a few members because I feel you have popped in with an axe to grind and have in my opinion chosen the wrong thread in which to do so.
That's my impression too, especially given his first responses to Bob's "Irish Car Bomb" post and Boiler's post that the bombing reminded him of the IRA.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

I uphold free speech to the very end but one of the saddest things I have seen today is the web image of the unfortunate child who died as a result of these atrocities holding up a sign which said "No more hurting people - Peace."

If only that were true, and wishing were so easy to achieve.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

And JerseyGirl, just because you feel like you're beating your head against a brick wall doesn't make you right. It might actually be a sign that you're wrong. Try to remember that.
Where as you just keep going on and on and on and on.....

Try to remember that.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:19 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

The outpouring of people offering the runners rooms and lifts on this spreadsheet made me smile.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Gc&output=html

A big frowny face as usual goes to Westboro Bastist "church" who plan to protest at the funerals.
http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram/...st-church-says

But a tip of the hat again to Anonymous who hope to pressure them enough to stay away.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3093516.html
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:20 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

And what on earth does any of this have to do with what happened yesterday?

I lived in Northern Ireland through the absolute worst of 'The Troubles' and I experienced things that I'm still trying to forget. I see nothing good in glorifying that period at all and I see no need for sick jokes. I don't even know how we got on this track because the suggestion that the IRA had anything to do with yesterday's events is one of the most ludicrous things I've heard.

My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by yesterday's horror and with the law enforcement officials who are tracking down whoever was responsible. Let them do their job and hope they bring the sick coward(s) responsible to the full force of justice. Let's stop speculating and jumping to conclusions - especially ridiculous speculation that begets really bad and inappropriate attempts at humor.
If you really have the people affected in your thoughts and prayers, stop taking this thread off topic and using it as your own personal soap box and being antagonistic. Luckily for you, the atrocities weren't about you yesterday, although it seems you want this thread to be all about you and your particular take on it.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

On the IRA comment, the PIRA used to use the same technique, pressure cooker bombs in public bins. Not that that tells you much, others have used it too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.