Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
and funnily enough, one of the more out spoken against terrorism these days.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
Unfortunately they probably won't link yesterdays atrocity with anything the UK went through at the hands of the IRA.
Why would they? Most Americans don't give a crap about the UK. Many countries around the world have been subjected to terrorist attacks by various individuals and groups. The Boston bombs seem to have been much cruder than anything that more sophisticated terrorist groups would use.

Most Americans aren't aware terrorism even existed before 9/11
Many acts of terrorism occurred in the US *before* 9/11. Including but not limited to these:
- The "Unabomber" attacks dating from the late 1970s.
- The attack on the World Trade Center in 1993.
- The Oklahoma City bombing that killed 168 in 1995.
- The Centennial Olympic Park bombing in Atlanta in 1996.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:50 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Amusing, considering some americans actively supported the IRA with funds during the troubles.

I think some did and do give a crap.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Amusing, considering some americans actively supported the IRA with funds during the troubles.

I think some did and do give a crap.
Although some people might say that you risk a backlash when you invade someone else's country and oppress the population. Both the US and the UK have been guilty of that over the years. It certainly doesn't mean you can justify the killing of innocent men, women and children...even though there are some sick & evil people in the world who think you can.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Not beat on about this, but I did say 'most' Americans and this is from personal experience.
I'm currently talking with a friend from Michigan on skype (as well as surfing the forums) so I asked her to name 4 terrorist attacks on the US. Shes 47 years old so not a kid. Her answers were .. errr 9/11, the Pentagon and yesterdays attack on Boston. When I mentioned Oklahoma to her she said "yes but he was American"
My conclusion is that home grown bombers aren't perceived as terrorists.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:06 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Not beat on about this, but I did say 'most' Americans and this is from personal experience.
I'm currently talking with a friend from Michigan on skype (as well as surfing the forums) so I asked her to name 4 terrorist attacks on the US. Shes 47 years old so not a kid. Her answers were .. errr 9/11, the Pentagon and yesterdays attack on Boston. When I mentioned Oklahoma to her she said "yes but he was American"
I think it gets put in the same bin as all the crazy spree shooters. They are general working alone or close to alone.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Quite a few people here seem to have a selective memory. There are have been many atrocities over the years. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that the UK has a squeaky clean past. It has committed atrocities in Ireland and elsewhere. When you invade a country, oppress the population, partition the country and then continue to oppress the minority inside your part of the partition, shit is going to happen and you'd be foolish to think otherwise. The UK created the Irish mess and plenty of other messes around the world before the decline of the British Empire.

Likewise the US is now a target for some individuals and groups who feel it has done harm to their countries, religions, cultures and rights. Yesterday's events may or may not be another instance of that. We'll find out in due course.

I lived through The Troubles in Ireland. You have to learn to try to forgive and forget the past and try to make the best of your life going forward. Otherwise you let those events consume you and destroy your life. I'm just really surprised that this thread turned out the way it did. Why the IRA issue even came up is simply beyond me.

More concerning is that it seems that some are taking sick pleasure in the people of Boston being victims of a bombing outrage simply because some of them supported the IRA in the past. I wonder how many of those people were actually killed or injured yesterday or even affected at all? Grow up FFS.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
More concerning is that it seems that some are taking sick pleasure in the people of Boston being victims of a bombing outrage simply because some of them supported the IRA in the past. I wonder how many of those people were actually killed or injured yesterday or even affected at all? Grow up FFS.
I don't think anyone has inferred anything of the sort.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 16th 2013 at 7:26 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

And JerseyGirl, just because you feel like you're beating your head against a brick wall doesn't make you right. It might actually be a sign that you're wrong. Try to remember that.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:33 pm
He/him

MaryandNed

You have valid point about both the UK and US reaping what they sow, it is the cost of empire, but you got off to a bad start by coming across as a misery looking for points to pick on. The earlier points seemed to have no validity.

You should also not be surprised that on a British expats page, that things are viewed from a British perspective.

and the plasics here often do not let a chance go by to raise the troubles, (in one form or another) with a Brit. Just last month my sister-in-laws mother said "...and you know how the Irish hate the English" we were just talking about the rules of a game we were playing, she got annoyed and came out with that, it took me aback, never heard such a thing from an Irishman or woman.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

This is getting f***ing ridiculous.

The comparison was made for a couple or reasons. Mainly because it was similar in execution to many IRA bombings. That is a pretty easy observation for any British citizen who was alive between 1969 and 1994 to make.

Secondly, whether they like it or not, most provos were British by birth, geographically speaking and were murdering British citizens - many of us believe that the Boston bombs were planted by domestic terrorists (or maybe a lone nut) as well - rather than an Islamist group.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen a single post on this thread expressing pleasure in yesterday's terrible events. I think you need to take a deep breath and re-read the thread fully. No-one is saying what you think they are saying.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
This is getting f***ing ridiculous.

The comparison was made for a couple or reasons. Mainly because it was similar in execution to many IRA bombings. That is a pretty easy observation for any British citizen who was alive between 1969 and 1994 to make.

Secondly, whether they like it or not, most provos were British by birth, geographically speaking and were murdering British citizens - many of us believe that the Boston bombs were planted by domestic terrorists (or maybe a lone nut) as well - rather than an Islamist group.
That's like wondering why Palestinians born in Israel have a problem with the Israelis. The fact is The Troubles were directly created by oppression - e.g. religious intimidation, discrimination in jobs and education, gerrymandering of political boundaries, police intimidation and the absence of "one man one vote." That situation of course was borne of a much longer history but let's at least acknowledge the circumstances that ignited the whole thing. I'm not condoning the IRA or their methods (or the loyalist groups either - let's not forget them) but they didn't mount their murderous campaign to preserve real ale, save the whales or bring back red telephone boxes.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:56 pm
Often not so civil...

When I mentioned Oklahoma to her she said "yes but he was American"
My wife just said to me 'why are they calling this a terrorist attack?' When I replied because it was clearly a bombing, and that is terrorism she said 'yeah but it could have been an american'.

Unfortunately for many Americans terrorist = muslim.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 16th 2013 at 7:59 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That's like wondering why Palestinians born in Israel have a problem with the Israelis. The fact is The Troubles were directly created by oppression - e.g. religious intimidation, discrimination in jobs and education, gerrymandering of political boundaries, police intimidation and the absence of "one man one vote." That situation of course was borne of a much longer history but let's at least acknowledge the circumstances that ignited the whole thing. I'm not condoning the IRA or their methods (or the loyalist groups either - let's not forget them) but they didn't mount their murderous campaign to preserve real ale, save the whales or bring back red telephone boxes.
a) I know why the Palestineans have a problem with Isreal.

b) that has nothing to do with what I posted.

Again, the similarity is from both the way it was carried out (widely/well attended public event - i.e. Enniskillen/Omagh) and by the fact that many think it was US nationals involved, rather than Islamists.

I didn't go into the whys and wherefores. Those (wrt the Troubles) are entirely irrelevant here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.