Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 BritishExpats views of America

2 BritishExpats views of America

Old May 14th 2004, 8:16 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by veryfunny
I have a question for you right wingers. Can you define what you call liberal?
"If you want to take my guns away from me, and you’re all for murdering fetuses, and love it when homosexuals marry each other, and want to give them kitchen appliances at their showers, and you’re for the poor, you’re a liberal.

If you are against those perversions and for the rich, you’re a conservative.

What could be simpler?" - Kurt Vonnegut
Old May 14th 2004, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2 BritishExpats views of America

Originally posted by Gross50
is that to say you are mentally disturbed?
Sweetie, I guess it takes one to know one.
Old May 14th 2004, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

daveuk1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hm, that`s interesting - tell me, are your parents a little upset that they went off to fight Hitler and then gave birth to him a few generations later ?
Old May 14th 2004, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nxylas
"If you want to take my guns away from me, and you’re all for murdering fetuses, and love it when homosexuals marry each other, and want to give them kitchen appliances at their showers, and you’re for the poor, you’re a liberal.

If you are against those perversions and for the rich, you’re a conservative.

What could be simpler?" - Kurt Vonnegut
Funny you should say that because Liberals in this country see you as Money greedy, bible bashers, intolerent, bigots and insensitive.

So where do you stand on stem cell research?
Old May 14th 2004, 10:22 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by veryfunny
Funny you should say that because Liberals in this country see you as Money greedy, bible bashers, intolerent, bigots and insensitive.

So where do you stand on stem cell research?
Are you talking to me or Kurt Vonnegut?
Old May 14th 2004, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
Straight to the firey pit below she is.
with her millions in her rucksack I must add.

anyone ever heard of tangents?
Old May 15th 2004, 12:22 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Polaris_x
I agree that American history is interesting, and I'm amazed at how many people are ignorant of it, as well as other history. But, it's not exclusively an American "disease". Most people are ignorant of their history.
I never mean to imply that it was

I just personally think it's a shame that so few of the Americans I meet are familiar with the foundations of their country. so few even know what the Articles of Confederation are! Or can name the first 11 Presidents of the US prior to the Constitution
Old May 15th 2004, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally posted by lairdside
I never mean to imply that it was

I just personally think it's a shame that so few of the Americans I meet are familiar with the foundations of their country. so few even know what the Articles of Confederation are! Or can name the first 11 Presidents of the US prior to the Constitution
Hehe, do you just go up to people and ask them those questions or what?
Old May 15th 2004, 1:18 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Steff
Hehe, do you just go up to people and ask them those questions or what?
It comes up in conversation. Very few have even the slightest clue what I am going on about

Generally in relation to the naturalization questions -- or re: education in schools.
Old May 15th 2004, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

It comes up in conversation. Very few have even the slightest clue what I am going on about

Generally in relation to the naturalization questions -- or re: education in schools.
OK well I will admit I don't know the answers either.

But do Brits really know so much more about their history?
Old May 15th 2004, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I know some.. but nowhere near all.. the main thing with the US is.. there aint much of it... US history could be absorbed in a few short weeks of reading
Old May 15th 2004, 2:33 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by USBound
the main thing with the US is.. there aint much of it... US history could be absorbed in a few short weeks of reading
I could challenge you on that one

This site is a decent place to start. My interest was sparked admittedly because my husband is from an old CT family and most of the prominent figures in early American history are his ancestors. I continued to learn more though because it's actually very interesting, more scandal than a soap opera too!

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/chrono.htm

It's just a collection of relevant documents in chronological order but provides an outline of events in sequence. I've been reading this stuff in my spare time for three years now and there is so much more to learn!
Old May 15th 2004, 2:40 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by Steff
OK well I will admit I don't know the answers either.

But do Brits really know so much more about their history?
Hmm... in general? They teach history at school I thought - at least as far back as the Roman occupation.

I enjoy reading history, strange because I went right off it at school when we started to study WW2. It seemed they were most interested in the brute memorization of dates
Old May 15th 2004, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nxylas
Are you talking to me or Kurt Vonnegut?
You.
Old May 15th 2004, 4:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... in general? They teach history at school I thought - at least as far back as the Roman occupation. ....
Yes, but in depth studies of history rarely cover more than a few of the numerous epochs of British history - at high school I studied the Roman occupation, and tribal history that ran up to it, the dark ages, and the Norman conquest.

Though I had the greatest respect for my history teacher, his teaching style was dull as ditch water and I refused to take history at O' level - and in any case the selected epoch for O' level at my school was the Napoleonic wars to WWII, which didn't interest me either. Since I left school I have become much more interested in history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.