Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

1st US Job blues

1st US Job blues

Old May 25th 2006, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: 1st US Job blues

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just resigned from my first ever job in the US this morning.

....and it's such a relief!
So that's why we haven't seen you around
Old May 25th 2006, 6:06 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: 1st US Job blues

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Yo go girlie, life is too short, to be stuck in something you really don't enjoy!!!

The sad thing is.....I think I really would have enjoyed the job and would have been good at it.

The reality of it though is that when I came off the training course the terms and conditions were very different to what I was led to believe at the job interview.

What really sucks is that it is a famous British company and the Ts & Cs are far worse for the US based staff compared to those in the UK for doing the very same job.

I lasted just three days and threw in the towel.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:25 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

What really sucks is that it is a famous British company and the Ts & Cs are far worse for the US based staff compared to those in the UK for doing the very same job.

What company was it?
Old May 25th 2006, 7:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The sad thing is.....I think I really would have enjoyed the job and would have been good at it.

The reality of it though is that when I came off the training course the terms and conditions were very different to what I was led to believe at the job interview.

I could never work in the US. I think the way most employers treat their employees is disgracefull. I would last about 30 secs before I told them where to stick their job.
Old May 25th 2006, 7:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: 1st US Job blues

...."The World's Favourite Airline".....

Wish I could work for them in the UK.....only joined to get the travel concessions but you don't get any time off over here to even go anywhere!

I found out at the training school at JFK (from a union rep) that in your first year you don't get the same leave allowance that they tell you at the interview - which is only two weeks (ten days) a year in any case for your first few years of employment.

The rep informed me that all the new staff would have get 1/2 a days leave for each month (the month in which you start doesn't count) so between 1 June and 31 Dec I would have got just 3 days annual leave for this year. It sucks.

You are also told how *bad* it is to go sick....even the union rep says he has amassed 300 sick days (which roll over) in 30 years FFS. He then proceeded to tell me how 'lazy' BA staff are in the UK as they have an 'appalling' sick record. Prat.

Staff doing the very same job in the UK start off with 5 weeks annual leave.

Don't get me started on how they allocated my regular shift just as I was leaving on Tuesday evening.....mulled over it yesterday but v. unhappy so I packed it in. One thing they do offer is free health care for employees (so quite a lot of single people and a few single parents working there) but I'm covered with my husband's job so don't have to rely on it. Morale is bad there though amongst the staff right now.
Old May 25th 2006, 7:40 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could work for them in the UK.....only joined to get the travel concessions but you don't get any time off over here to even go anywhere!

I found out at the training school at JFK (from a union rep) that in your first year you don't get the same leave allowance that they tell you at the interview - which is only two weeks (ten days) a year in any case for your first few years of employment.

The rep informed me that all the new staff would have get 1/2 a days leave for each month (the month in which you start doesn't count) so between 1 June and 31 Dec I would have got just 3 days annual leave for this year. It sucks.

You are also told how *bad* it is to go sick....even the union rep says he has amassed 300 sick days (which roll over) in 30 years FFS. He then proceeded to tell me how 'lazy' BA staff are in the UK as they have an 'appalling' sick record. Prat.

Staff doing the very same job in the UK start off with 5 weeks annual leave.

Don't get me started on how they allocated my regular shift just as I was leaving on Tuesday evening.....mulled over it yesterday but v. unhappy so I packed it in. One thing they do offer is free health care for employees (so quite a lot of single people and a few single parents working there) but I'm covered with my husband's job so don't have to rely on it. Morale is bad there though amongst the staff right now.

The whole vacation issue over here is awful, I can't stand it. Hubby has to "earn" his vacation But apparently thats fairly normal, dont think i will ever quite get used to it.
Old May 25th 2006, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you for having the courage to stand up and say it wasn't for you. Have to say seems like a lot of us have packed it in lately.
Old May 25th 2006, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've just resigned from my first ever job in the US this morning.

....and it's such a relief!
oh err
Old May 26th 2006, 4:28 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I could never work in the US. I think the way most employers treat their employees is disgracefull. I would last about 30 secs before I told them where to stick their job.
I too have that 'problem'!!! However, I have never been fired from a job, despite my 'attitude problem'!!! Mwaaa aaa aaa aaa aaaaaaaa!!!
Old May 26th 2006, 5:29 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Said airline once sent me (here in the US) a credit card offer with a shed load of miles. Was sorely tempted until I scanned the small print on the back - Citizens of the United Kingdom not eligible. [/drift]
Old May 26th 2006, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I have to say that not all employers out there are bad. I was fortunate enough to encounter a decent company yesterday at an interview. They only have 180 employees in total over 4 locations, but their benefits package was so generous by US standards it is embarassing to hear what some of the big boys offer.

If I get the job, not only is the salary great, but they pay car allowance, gas, cell phone, dental, life & disability insurance, 2/3 of medical, anything worked over 40 hours can be taken as time off or they will pay you out once a month. 7 public holidays, 12 days sick leave, 4% match on 401k, only 2 weeks vacation for the first 5 years, but with the comp time it would be easy to get that to 4 weeks. Comp time is so unusual because of the salary level being offered.

So there are good employers out there, just have to be lucky enough to find them.

The encounter has given me some hope that a decent job does exist out there for me. I am going to try looking for employers that have been voted as being a "Best Employer in whatever category" and see if I can get lucky.
Old May 26th 2006, 4:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
Actually I have to say that not all employers out there are bad. I was fortunate enough to encounter a decent company yesterday at an interview. They only have 180 employees in total over 4 locations, but their benefits package was so generous by US standards it is embarassing to hear what some of the big boys offer.

If I get the job, not only is the salary great, but they pay car allowance, gas, cell phone, dental, life & disability insurance, 2/3 of medical, anything worked over 40 hours can be taken as time off or they will pay you out once a month. 7 public holidays, 12 days sick leave, 4% match on 401k, only 2 weeks vacation for the first 5 years, but with the comp time it would be easy to get that to 4 weeks. Comp time is so unusual because of the salary level being offered.

So there are good employers out there, just have to be lucky enough to find them.

The encounter has given me some hope that a decent job does exist out there for me. I am going to try looking for employers that have been voted as being a "Best Employer in whatever category" and see if I can get lucky.

Mmm.....I rather think that's what Englishmum thought too after her interview.

Obviously there are some good jobs and employers out there, but there seems to be a lot that treat their employees like crap.
Old May 26th 2006, 6:01 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Mmm.....I rather think that's what Englishmum thought too after her interview.

Obviously there are some good jobs and employers out there, but there seems to be a lot that treat their employees like crap.
I think it all comes down to one simple thing here - it's because they can get away with it.
Old May 26th 2006, 6:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Partystar
I think it all comes down to one simple thing here - it's because they can get away with it.
Too true.
Old May 26th 2006, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Just goes to show that it pays to ask questions when at interview and do a lot of research about jobs/vacancies.

Sometimes, things are not quite what they seem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.