Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

1st US Job blues

1st US Job blues

Old May 7th 2006, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1st US Job blues

I'm sorry you're having such an awful experience but i think we british are too conciencious, I'm a nurse and when we originally got here, I was like you truly miserable, getting calls at 5.30 in the morning to see if i'd work, on days i was supposed to work 12 hrs they would call at 5.30 to say they didn't need me but they would check back with me in 4 hours to see if they needed me then, then again at 9 am they'd say they didn't need me they'd check again for the next four hours, i used to feel guilty not working when they needed me, then i started to talk to some of my collegues , who just didn't pick up the phone when they called, refused to wait 4 hours for a call back stating they weren't getting paid for on call.
I stopped answering the calls, no ones seemed like they think any less of me.
The other thing i noticed is a huge blame culture which i'm sure is where your supervisor has her problem, everyone writes everyone up cause they're frightenen they'll get the blame themselves.
Old May 7th 2006, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I would start looking for a new job. These kind of problems are never going to go away, no matter who you speak with, what you document or what promises are made.

I finished my first job yesterday, after only 6 weeks. It was a temp to perm job. and I told them I didn't want to stay. From day one I knew there were issues going on behind the scenes that I did not understand, couldn't stand the politics and couldn't believe the low standard of accounting practices within the company.

I figure at least if I cut myself loose, I will be able to devote my energies to something more suitable, rather than wasting time with an organisation that is not a good fit.
Old May 7th 2006, 3:57 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

When I read the title I thought I had posted this thread in my sleep!

I have been 4 weeks in my first job here and although I should love it I am scared that I am never gonna get the hang of it. I am home based and dont feel i've clocked off since I started. The company are great but I think learning how things work in the US means I am taking twice as much time and not being as productive as they want.

I'm sure like some of the other posters have said you may be able to find a balance and know when its ok to say no. I think that may be part of the problem, when you are part of a culture you know how things work. I have no idea how things will work out for me but I know I cant continue spending every evening trying to catch up and be prepared for the next day.
As a Yorkshire Lass I know you will want to make the best of things. Hope you can work it out. I just keep thinking of all that glorious down time I had before and never quite appreciated it and no time for BE!
Good luck whatever you decide
Old May 7th 2006, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all of you for your replies. Lots of good advice there. I don't actually need the job, but I did want a little part time job so that I felt productive and the bit of extra cash can be saved up for trips to the UK etc. I am going to give it a little longer but I am not very hopeful that I will be happy working there in the long run. I am not 'on call', was not told that I would be and am only paid by the hour for each hour I am in the office.

I did raise some of my concerns today with the manager who was working along side me and he filled me in a little on the office dynamic that seems to be underlying all of this. There seems to be a communication problem, it is a small office but they don't seem to have agreed on the way they want things to be done, therefore each does it the way they like it to be done. The result is that the office does not run smoothly, things get overlooked because there are no set rules about who is responsible for what, and he told me that people will try to delegate things to me a lot and that I should just do what I can and leave what I can't. I am supposed to run the front desk and do some of the admin, but the admin blurs between what is and isn't my responsibility. I will give it a little more time and see if it settles down. The other part timer who I am supposed to job share with has left now and they still haven't filled her position, maybe when the new person starts things will ease up a little.
Old May 7th 2006, 6:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

This office is not in Scranton, is it?
Old May 7th 2006, 2:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
This office is not in Scranton, is it?
No, it's in DC, and her supervisor's name is Bush.
Old May 7th 2006, 4:52 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lass
I'm sorry guys just gotta vent!!!! It is boring so pls feel free to ignore, I just dunno what the hell is with this company I am working for, is it culture diff's from UK to US? Or am I right in thinking I am being put upon and there are communication probs in the office?

Initially I was sceptical about this job, low pay (they advertised as 'negotiable'), shitty hours, not much chance of career progression, so I said I was withdrawing my application. However, the director said she would really like to discuss it with me further and advised me of the career paths and offered more money, so I attended second interview and got the job. Now three weeks into the job I am again having serious misgivings. They are sending emails to my personal email address, most of which have nothing to do with me, but when I raise the subject they say I need to be informed of all the information that is passing through........ they have my email because I initially applied by email.

Now my supervisor has started to call my cell phone when I am not working. It was supposed to be just 2 nights per week plus one weekend day, but they have had trouble filling the other nights and weekday and I am working far more hours than I ever really wanted to. Today the call was over something I felt was really trivial, and it was a task she felt I had not completed according to company policy, but the routine I had followed was the one I had been taught by the other manager there. I told her that but she seemed to want to make me feel guilty because she said she was having to stay late to put it right. I was at the end of my tether and told her she and the other managers needed to get together and work out exactly how they wanted things doing and then let me know. There was no apology for mixed messages, just a guilt trip for it not being to her satisfaction. Also, I have noticed the other part timer is not completing her tasks on the nights I am not there and I am having to make up for it, I raised this and was just told to check what hadn't been done and take care of it, and then given another task on top of my usual duties that I really had no chance of completing before closing time.

The last time I worked I was doing some routine work and noticed some anomalies in the schedule/bookings and it turned out the director and one of the managers had made mistakes, fairly serious mistakes, but when I told my supervisors she told me to email them both pointing out the mistakes and to stress that more accuracy was needed. Well I dunno what you guys think but I don't see it as my place to go telling the director and manager their mistakes and telling them to be more careful when I am on the lowest rung of the ladder in the office and only just started the job! I didn't send the email and expect I will be berated for that too.

Am I missing the whole point here and is this a US/UK difference in how the work pace operates? I have worked in office jobs and administration prior to becoming a teacher in the UK, but never experienced this sort of confusion before!! When my 'supervisor' explains anything to me she goes into this type of 'corporate speak' and I come away thinking 'What?!?!' but when the other managers explain it it all seems quite simple and clear. I have lots of other examples of things that are pissing me off with this job but don't want to go on any longer than I already have.
Thanks for listening, I needed to vent, any insight would be really appreciated.
I would leave!

I don't think you should be at a job where you are not happy, it's just not worth it, life's too short. Surely you could find another job, one that works for you, it may take time, but it'll be worth it.

I cannot stress enough - life is too short to hate your job, the stress is not worth the money!

Chin up & good luck to you.
Old May 8th 2006, 12:28 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lass
I'm sorry guys just gotta vent!!!! It is boring so pls feel free to ignore, I just dunno what the hell is with this company I am working for, is it culture diff's from UK to US? Or am I right in thinking I am being put upon and there are communication probs in the office?

Initially I was sceptical about this job, low pay (they advertised as 'negotiable'), shitty hours, not much chance of career progression, so I said I was withdrawing my application. However, the director said she would really like to discuss it with me further and advised me of the career paths and offered more money, so I attended second interview and got the job. Now three weeks into the job I am again having serious misgivings. They are sending emails to my personal email address, most of which have nothing to do with me, but when I raise the subject they say I need to be informed of all the information that is passing through........ they have my email because I initially applied by email.

Now my supervisor has started to call my cell phone when I am not working. It was supposed to be just 2 nights per week plus one weekend day, but they have had trouble filling the other nights and weekday and I am working far more hours than I ever really wanted to. Today the call was over something I felt was really trivial, and it was a task she felt I had not completed according to company policy, but the routine I had followed was the one I had been taught by the other manager there. I told her that but she seemed to want to make me feel guilty because she said she was having to stay late to put it right. I was at the end of my tether and told her she and the other managers needed to get together and work out exactly how they wanted things doing and then let me know. There was no apology for mixed messages, just a guilt trip for it not being to her satisfaction. Also, I have noticed the other part timer is not completing her tasks on the nights I am not there and I am having to make up for it, I raised this and was just told to check what hadn't been done and take care of it, and then given another task on top of my usual duties that I really had no chance of completing before closing time.

The last time I worked I was doing some routine work and noticed some anomalies in the schedule/bookings and it turned out the director and one of the managers had made mistakes, fairly serious mistakes, but when I told my supervisors she told me to email them both pointing out the mistakes and to stress that more accuracy was needed. Well I dunno what you guys think but I don't see it as my place to go telling the director and manager their mistakes and telling them to be more careful when I am on the lowest rung of the ladder in the office and only just started the job! I didn't send the email and expect I will be berated for that too.

Am I missing the whole point here and is this a US/UK difference in how the work pace operates? I have worked in office jobs and administration prior to becoming a teacher in the UK, but never experienced this sort of confusion before!! When my 'supervisor' explains anything to me she goes into this type of 'corporate speak' and I come away thinking 'What?!?!' but when the other managers explain it it all seems quite simple and clear. I have lots of other examples of things that are pissing me off with this job but don't want to go on any longer than I already have.
Thanks for listening, I needed to vent, any insight would be really appreciated.

Hi! ,
I haven't read through all of the posts but I do just have to say that I agree with the postings that I have read that tell you life is too short and definately to start looking for something else that will make you happy. However, you do NOT want to alienate your current employer, idiots or not! They will be responsible for giving you a letter of recommendation if not that then they will probably be contacted by your next employer. You DO NOT want it known that you were a difficult employee (their concept of you not actuality!)
and you certainly don't want to be fired from your very first job in the US. You would find it very difficult for anyone else to put their faith in you if all the feedback from your last (first) job is negative.

Good luck honey!
Old May 8th 2006, 12:37 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Hi! ,
I haven't read through all of the posts but I do just have to say that I agree with the postings that I have read that tell you life is too short and definately to start looking for something else that will make you happy. However, you do NOT want to alienate your current employer, idiots or not! They will be responsible for giving you a letter of recommendation if not that then they will probably be contacted by your next employer. You DO NOT want it known that you were a difficult employee (their concept of you not actuality!)
and you certainly don't want to be fired from your very first job in the US. You would find it very difficult for anyone else to put their faith in you if all the feedback from your last (first) job is negative.

Good luck honey!
I would normally agree but... the very fact that this is her first job in the US puts her in the unusual position that if it all goes tits up, and she leaves on bad terms with this employer, she doesn't strictly need ever mention it in her resume again! If there is any chance that their letter of recommendation will be anything less than glowing, she can just omit them from her resume entirely, and explain the break in employment history as (quite correctly) being due to emigrating from the UK.
Old May 8th 2006, 12:57 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I would normally agree but... the very fact that this is her first job in the US puts her in the unusual position that if it all goes tits up, and she leaves on bad terms with this employer, she doesn't strictly need ever mention it in her resume again! If there is any chance that their letter of recommendation will be anything less than glowing, she can just omit them from her resume entirely, and explain the break in employment history as (quite correctly) being due to emigrating from the UK.

That's true, however, I seem to remember (and I could be wrong!) that she had a tough time finding her first job in the states. If this is down to no prior history in the US then if she fails to tell new employers that she has already been working then she would be going back to square one again (does that make sense, it does in my head at least! )
Old May 8th 2006, 2:53 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I agree, at the end of the day the jobs making her unhappy and they will probably give the same reference no matter what. Remember you don't get in trouble for missing things out of your CV just the things you put in it.
Old May 8th 2006, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

Yes that is true, I am concerned that it took me a while to get this job, and I think a lot of that was due to having no work history in the US. I had hoped to be happy here and stay a year or so in order to get a good reference. On the other hand I don't really think this is going to get resolved, they seem to have had a lot of people come and go in this particular position and maybe they left because they didn't like the same things I am not liking.

I am dreading going in tomorrow, yesterday the manager who has been (in my opinion) making things a bit awkward for me was not there, when she is not there things go fairly smoothly and I feel relaxed, but when she is there I feel on edge and am waiting for the next criticism. the issue she called me about and got upset with me over on Friday was a really trivial thing I thought, and when I asked the other manager how it should be done yesterday he said it isn't really important, both ways work fine
I said that I wasn't happy about being called on my cell on my day off over something trivial and he said that he had had the same issue with the same person calling him when he first started. He said just to ignore the phone, that's what he did.

The person I am having trouble with is difficult to understand, she explains minor things in a slow voice making constant eye contact the way we do when we are talking to a small child that might not understand, but when it is a more complex issue she rushes through it and uses company jargon that makes my head spin, and then gives me a wad of stuff to read up on and I don't have time to read it during working hours. I have only been there three weeks so maybe the best thing to do is to leave, i would only be back where I was 4 weeks ago anyway and would just omit it from my resume. How much notice should I give? I know they are short handed and desperate to find another person so I don't like leaving them in the lurch, but they told me to expect it to be June before they get someone because they want the 'right' person for the job.

Should I make up a lie about leaving, or tell them I don't feel this job is going to make me happy, in which case they would ask why and without saying that I feel they are disorganised and have poor communication and that my supervisor is a poor manager of people, I don't know how to explain it. Also, they never told me any of the basics a new employee might expect, such as when I would get paid, how I would get paid, whether I could take breaks, or if I got a lunch break on the weekend day I work (turns out I don't get one cos I am there alone most of the time running the center so no lunch break from 9.30am till 5pm) they didn't tell me there was a dress code. Of course I found all of this out and have also had my first pay, but to me it shows a lack of any real effort to make sure employees are happy. The company is huge but our office is the only one in this state and is a small office, so maybe the company is ok to work for, just probs at this branch.
Old May 8th 2006, 4:21 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Well good luck tomorrow and don't let the bar****ds grind you down, probably find she thinks you threaten her position.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice

Go to the person in charge of the office, and ask if there is a job description. Explain that you want to be clear you are fulfilling all of the duties required of the job and a job description would be a good start.

If they dont have them, offer to get together with some of the existing staff and put something together (i know this is more work, but will be useful in the future).

Good Luck
Old May 8th 2006, 11:40 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Print off a copy of this thread and leave it lying on the photocopier.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.