Wikiposts

1st post

Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st post

Not having used my GC yet but is it less hassle on re-entry to the USA.?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:13 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by tony126

In theory yes. And depending on the POE you can use the Citizens/PR line....much much quicker than queueing with the tourists.

Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:26 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

i found it a lot less hassle. only took 15mins through immigration rather than the 1hr 30min.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:27 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
I was lead to believe by USCIS that the green card is basically a machine readable passport as far as US customs were concerned. Its what give you your right to present yourself for entry and identification. Of course thats all fine and dandy for US Customs but no other country is gonna recognise it so you'd need your passport anyway unless you just want to sit on the plane and fly straight back to the US.
'xactly!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
In theory yes. And depending on the POE you can use the Citizens/PR line....much much quicker than queueing with the tourists.
I was intending to come thro the US citizens line with my wife as I understood that is what the PRC/GC allowed you to do. Right or wrong?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:58 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I was intending to come thro the US citizens line with my wife as I understood that is what the PRC/GC allowed you to do. Right or wrong?
Thats what I do, whether I'm with the wife or not - never had a problem
Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:24 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside: Last time I flew out of Britain to the USA (Jan 04) I had a strange experience with a rather officious woman at LHR who was checking everyone's passports actually at the door of the plane. The conversation went like this:

(she sees the US visa stamps in my passport)
-do you have a green card?
-Yes.
-Can I see it?
(I get it out of my wallet, she looks at it and hands it back)
(me) can I ask why you need to see that?
-because you're not allowed to leave the country without it.
-really? Even if I have a valid UK passport?
-yes, if you're flying to the US we have to check that US citizens have the right travel documents.
-but I'm not a US citizen.
-Yes you are, having a green card means you're a US citizen.
-no it doesn't, it means I'm a legal permanent resident.
-yes it does.
-no it doesn't.
-yes it does.
This went on for a while before she just waved me onto the plane because a large queue was forming behind me. I still think it's a bit disturbing that someone in her position would be that ill-informed.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on the airport, at Logon, they weren't allowing LPR's through the quick line last year...
Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:32 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Bob
depends on the airport, at Logon, they weren't allowing LPR's through the quick line last year...

As I said...depends on the POE. Some have Citizens/PR (Newark for one) marked and some have a seperate PR line. If PR isnt marked on the notice board (citizens only) you can try it but they will most likely send you to the tourist drones queue.

Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Charlotte, NC is the airport I will be using so I will check it out on my return. Thanks for the comments.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Last time I came in, I asked the immigration officer if I needed a new passport, as mine was issued at the British High Comm in Singapore, and doesn't have the machine readable coding at the bottom of the details page. He replied that the only thing I needed to get back into the US was my green card....don't know if thats gospel, and I can't ever imagine leaving the country without my passport, but thats what the bloke in the box said..

i think that hits it on the head.. if you have a GC that's all they need to see.
with the new GC they place it on the machine and prolly your whole dossier flashes up for them (the info is discreetly hidden from u). frankly, it makes sense that would be all they want. they couldn't give a hoot what kind of passport from some other country you have.
and, it's only the airline that wants to know if you can legally enter the US so
they don't have to fly you back.. they are covering themselves.
and these days the airlines also have those pesky terrorist lists to deal with.
(ala cat stevens etc...)

naturally i would also never leave the US w/out a passport but that has to do with getting into the foreign country, not the US.

next time i'm coming back in i'm going to hand them the GC only and see what happens.. which will hopefully be

immigration: how long have you been away ?
me: since last wednesday
immigration: business or pleasure?
me: business
immigration: welcome back
me: thanks, have a nice day!

Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by elfman
As an aside: Last time I flew out of Britain to the USA (Jan 04) I had a strange experience with a rather officious woman at LHR who was checking everyone's passports actually at the door of the plane. The conversation went like this:

(she sees the US visa stamps in my passport)
-do you have a green card?
-Yes.
-Can I see it?
(I get it out of my wallet, she looks at it and hands it back)
(me) can I ask why you need to see that?
-because you're not allowed to leave the country without it.
-really? Even if I have a valid UK passport?
-yes, if you're flying to the US we have to check that US citizens have the right travel documents.
-but I'm not a US citizen.
-Yes you are, having a green card means you're a US citizen.
-no it doesn't, it means I'm a legal permanent resident.
-yes it does.
-no it doesn't.
-yes it does.
This went on for a while before she just waved me onto the plane because a large queue was forming behind me. I still think it's a bit disturbing that someone in her position would be that ill-informed.

hahahah, that cracked me up! did the person work for the airline?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
i came back through logan last november and the GC line was the same as for
US citizens.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermine
i came back through logan last november and the GC line was the same as for
US citizens.
must have changed it then, but they were having work done on the terminal I guess...was amusing seeing people with greencard being told to get out of the quick line and queue with the rest of us phlebs for 2 hours *l*
Old Mar 16th 2005, 4:14 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I recently encountered someone at check in who seemed to think that every child must now travel on their own passport; no exceptions. This is not necessarily so. My daughter still travels with me, on my passport, not her own. As the passport was issued before the regulations were changed, and it hasn't expired, it's still perfectly valid. It took 15 minutes for this woman to be persuaded otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.