Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

1950s Attitudes

1950s Attitudes

Old Sep 20th 2012, 2:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1950s Attitudes

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Planes do go back to the UK, don't they?
Thank gawd they do..can't wait for my next trip home.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 2:28 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Very interesting. When I (the American) moved to Aberdeen, as an American, I was surprised how many women did NOT work. Its become such a norm here in the US that for economic reasons, women work. I had no problems finding gal pals for things to do during the day.

I'd say for many families here in the US (I'm using New England to the South for my perspective) - the ones with women NOT working were generally more 'religious' - adhering to biblical teaching. You'll hear that down here in Texas a lot... Men provide, women raise kids.

BUT, you'll also find a lot of women not working as their husbands make $$$ and they CAN stay home and raise children. (Or not, whatever the choice.) Many women work simply to afford the daycare or nanny (which has already been discussed.)

My hubby is in Oil and Gas here and has women in his department who are married to men in other O&G companies but they continue to work - for resources reasons. In general, an 'average' American family cannot live comfortably on one paycheck. I grew of age in the late 80s and it was clear to my general a number of facts. 1. Don't depend on Social Security to retire. 2. You cannot move forward without at least a Bachelor's degree. 3. As a woman, plan on working.

The days of going to college to find a husband were GONE by the 80s.

As for religion - I lived years in Pakistan and Sudan. OP needs to spend some time in these areas. Or how about Utah???

I'm sorry the OP finds his environment so oppressing here to his particular moral value set. Planes do go back to the UK, don't they?
My wife is a SAHM for two main reasons:

1) we wanted one of us to raise him and since I make good money, it was sensible for that to be her

2) Childcare is expensive. It doesn't make financial sense for my wife to work. I lose her tax benefits and her entire salary would be taken up in childcare costs (in fact it probably wouldn't even cover it). It makes much more sense for her not to work than to work.

We're fortunate in that she WANTS to stay at home and raise our son. If she wanted a career, then we'd have to re-evaluate. She will go back to work though when the kids are at school even if it's doing something from home.

I also have some very good friends where the wife has gone back to work, primarily because although her husband makes good money, she does too and she also gets medical which her husband does not. It's amazing how much the financial arguments come into play for that decision here.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 3:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
This is good advice and I find packing a lunch easier & yummier in the USA than in England. Little Debbie Snack Cakes, I'm talking about.

The little mini cherry pies those are dangerous...but been put off them since the owner of the company gave the missus a crate of them one Christmas as a gift and I over indulged.

The company is out in Worcester, but he lives in town.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 3:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The little mini cherry pies those are dangerous...but been put off them since the owner of the company gave the missus a crate of them one Christmas as a gift and I over indulged.

The company is out in Worcester, but he lives in town.
I worked at Harvard for five years when we moved here in 1991. At my going away party from that job, my colleagues gave me a mixed box of Little Debbies because I always brought one in in my lunchbox... lasted me a couple of years at my new job, they did. Fortunately you can ignore the "use by" date on those things, they stay "fresh" for ever...

I didn't realise they were from Massachusetts!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 3:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I worked at Harvard for five years when we moved here in 1991. At my going away party from that job, my colleagues gave me a mixed box of Little Debbies because I always brought one in in my lunchbox... lasted me a couple of years at my new job, they did. Fortunately you can ignore the "use by" date on those things, they stay "fresh" for ever...

I didn't realise they were from Massachusetts!
The first time I came out to visit my wife-to-be and saw all the Little Debbies on display at the shop, I will admit I went a bit mad, as you do when you've a few grand in spending dollars and nothing else to buy except cheap fags and a present for your ma ...

For most of that first trip, there were usually a few well-stuffed plastic bags filled with those accompanying my carton of cigs in the cupboard
Old Sep 20th 2012, 3:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The first time I came out to visit my wife-to-be and saw all the Little Debbies on display at the shop, I will admit I went a bit mad, as you do when you've a few grand in spending dollars and nothing else to buy except cheap fags and a present for your ma ...

For most of that first trip, there were usually a few well-stuffed plastic bags filled with those accompanying my carton of cigs in the cupboard
Ah-ha! So it was cupboard love then!!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 4:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Ah-ha! So it was cupboard love then!!
While it may sounds as such - that was just a nice bonus. Though they're no Mr Kipling, they do hit the spot when I'm after sweets. Which is all the time.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I thought the point was to leave behind the things you bitch about in the UK, and go out into the world to find new things to bitch about.
I'm suspecting that sums up the OP perfectly
Old Sep 20th 2012, 4:39 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh yes, those days when you went holiday with a bunch of cash to spend. WTF happened to those days? Oh yeah, kids...
Old Sep 20th 2012, 4:39 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by zargof
Ahh yes, those days when you went holiday with a bunch of cash to spend. WTF happened to those days? Oh yeah, kids...
Got it in one!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 4:46 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Got it in one!
I tell you, when the little fckers get older and leave home, I've giving them each a bill. It's the American way...
Old Sep 20th 2012, 4:48 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I tell you, when the little fckers get older and leave home, I've giving them each a bill. It's the American way...
"This dollar bill is your inheritance child, spend it wisely"
Old Sep 20th 2012, 4:52 pm
I have a comma problem

Make sure they tip you as well ...
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:24 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dlake02;10287409]

Is this some weirdness of the Bay, or has true equality not happened in the US to the same extent that it has in the UK or other parts of Europe that we know (NL, DE, FR).

Not many mums work full-time or at all in the NL. It's almost looked down upon to leave the children with hired help.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/08/19/t...appiness-axis/

Last edited by Mallory; Sep 20th 2012 at 6:27 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I wish, ours may as well send me the bill they are still costing me money and headaches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.