Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

1950s Attitudes

1950s Attitudes

Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:02 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1950s Attitudes

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
What is a CUP? I've had to do lots of conversions, but that isn't a unit of measure I've seen before. Is it cubic something? I assume you aren't referring to 1 cup = 8ounces that is commonly used in cooking?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_units_of_pressure
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
As an industrial engineer, I had to take an entire class on doing time studies, and I've had lots of practical experience doing them in the real world. I don't think the mistake you mention is one I've ever done before, but I could see how it could be easy to make.

What is a CUP? I've had to do lots of conversions, but that isn't a unit of measure I've seen before. Is it cubic something? I assume you aren't referring to 1 cup = 8ounces that is commonly used in cooking?
It depends - could be A, B, C, DD, EEE, or "more than two handsful"
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:19 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That I didn't realise....so what is it if it isn't 12"?
It's precise definition is 1200/3937 of a meter. The conversion between them is one International foot is 0.999998 US survey feet.

Doesn't come into play very often to be honest but I've done some UTM conversions for Offshore wells where I was scratching my head why my distances were off until I found out that over 100's of thousands of feet from the datum point that 0.000002 difference actually becomes noticeable! That and I didn't know there was such a thing as a US survey foot at the time!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:28 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
When the unit of measurement for cement used in a wellbore is a sack, what do you expect? In the oilfield, I can't stand the full SI system used in some places - why do I want to measure a pressure in MPa. Bar or psi is fine, thanks!

And then there is the difference in stock tank barrel - the temperature differs for "stock" in places.

I must admit, I didn't know the one about a survey foot, and I had not even heard of degrees Rankin until I moved here.
I always laugh when graduates join and expect everything to be neatly in SI units... I'm with you, I actually don't mind the mix and dealing with MPa drives me mad... (kN force too actually)

And we won't get started on using pounds (lb) as a force. (It should be lbf goddammit!)

Ton is the one that I see the the most. People just use xxxt. Tonne would be fine, short ton or long ton would be fine or even ton (US) or ton (UK), but xxxt means sweet FA to me. Sometimes you can tell from where the drawings have emanated from, but sometimes it's not at all clear.

(Can you tell I'm dealing with issues on this at the moment...)

Rant over...!

Last edited by Bink; Sep 26th 2012 at 10:41 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It depends - could be A, B, C, DD, EEE, or "more than two handsful"
Good one. I walked into that one.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 11:09 am
Just Joined

McAllister1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have compassion for you- moving to a new country -as close as it would seem
in language etc-is very different. And you are in the South Bay- which is very different than the North Bay- which is more about peace and love. I know because I'm a lesbian who is in the UK -Leeds- because myself and my British civil partner can't live in the US-since as you know the government doesnt recognise our relationships. Where would we rather be? In San Francisco- or Leeds? In the middle of the country- no water in sight. So I understand your difficulty in transition.
I know plenty of women-straight and gay- who work in the US-most of them do- and some who choose to stay home with their children-or both.
Religion is way too important- and thats where most of the difference comes from.
I think all parts of the US greatly vary- having lived in 5 different states-attitudes vary etc. No matter where Ive lived-and I loved Chicago the most-
nothing compares in openess to San Francisco-so you might try it there if you are unhappy where you are.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 4:56 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
The conversion between them is one International foot is 0.999998 US survey feet.
I've had that problem too, but with inches, the difference is tiny but noticeable.