Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

18 Shot at Illinois uni

18 Shot at Illinois uni

Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:04 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 18 Shot at Illinois uni

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Absolutely agree. I think NBC disgraced itself by airing the video from the Va Tech shooter. Should have just handed it over to the police.
I can never forget Matt Lauer asking the Postal worker in Blacksburg if the killer sent off copies of his tape to any other networks.

summed it up for me.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:05 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I can never forget Matt Lauer asking the Postal worker in Blacksburg if the killer sent off copies of his tape to any other networks.

Didn't know that.

They've fallen even further in my estimation.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Well its that saying by the media...'If it bleeds, it leads?'

Frankly I think its disgusting and I remember NBC and V Tech and them being so happy they had the tape seeming at the same time to forget that lots of innocent student had just died :curse:
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:10 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
Well its that saying by the media...'If it bleeds, it leads?'
They've got that in spades with accidents.... no need to give someone what is quite literally a bully pulpit.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:17 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
But it doesnt take a genius to work out that there must be some sort of correlation between the amount of guns out there and these school shootings. Then again I guess here they just use knives.
Nope, its just in america

canada has many more firearms per capita

usa has more loonys
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:21 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
canada has many more firearms per capita

usa has more loonys
We have less loonies now given the value of the dollar.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeeDaz
One of the biggest problems in all of these shootings is the media. They unwittingly do exactly what the shooters want, by plastering their names and pictures everywhere, giving them instant fame for the wrong reasons.

Maybe we'd see fewer shootings if the media were forced to never reveal names or pictures.

Sickening.
you are so right, these people are attention seeking skum of the earth......they don't deserve their 5 minutes of fame......the media love a story though eh?
my thoughts are with the witnesses and all those that have lost a loved one.
Kind of puts my bad day into perspective.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I can't comprehend what causes people to do this? I mean, if you need to kill yourself, why do you need to take others out with you?

What are parents and society coming to that we keep breeeding these idiots?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:53 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I can't comprehend what causes people to do this? I mean, if you need to kill yourself, why do you need to take others out with you?
What are parents and society coming to that we keep breeeding these idiots?
I just had breakfast at the company cafe.
Being a friendly bastard, I said to the grill cook "Terrible about the shooting isn't it?"
He replies "I don't know how Biblically aware you are....."
"I'm not"
"What? Not at all?"
"No" (I say that because, an evangelical shpeel is usually inevitable)
So then he procedes anyway to explain that the reason for the shooting is because of Valentines day.
I tell him that Valentine was a Catholic Saint.
"Yes, he was", he says "St Valentine massacred a load of people and then killed himself"
I replied "It might have more to do with the fact that there are guns everywhere"
"Oh, yessir! Yes Sir" he says.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

the gunman was a former student aged 27. They just named him but i didnt catch it. Steven something.

Makes you wonder how many of these loons do this to get media attention once they are gone... kinda going out 'in a blaze of glory' (i dont see any glory in it).

The news networks were rightly criticized over showing the VT killer's tapes. I thought they should have focused more on the tradgedy than the killer.
Now this Steven guy will be on the news for a week solid but we wont hear anything about the victims other than their names.

Such a shame
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Xebedee
he says "St Valentine massacred a load of people and then killed himself"
Utter crap. St Valentine never massacred people. There are at least 3 St Valentines known throughout history and at least 2 are associated with helping people from persecution. 'Saint' is applied after someone is dead, so how would killing people encourage others to recognise him as a saint? Total nonsense.

I think more of the 'St Valentines Day Massacre' orchestrated by Al Capone in 1929.

Darren
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Sophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really nice

Absolutely terrible. Only in America!! Those poor innocent lives cut short!! Very sad indeed....
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia68
Absolutely terrible. Only in America!! Those poor innocent lives cut short!! Very sad indeed....
and finland...