17 year old travelling to Edinburgh ALONE

17 year old travelling to Edinburgh ALONE

Old Jan 24th 2015, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Johnny4123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 17 year old travelling to Edinburgh ALONE

Hey guys

I have a question

Im 19 years old, living in Edinburgh. Ive been dating my girlfriend for just about 3 years old, shes American.

Shes 17 and shes coming to Edinburgh at the end of March. She has applied and been accepted to study in Scotland, and will come in march to visit me but also go on a university visit day.

My question is;

Because this is her first trip outside the USA, unaccompanied and under the age of 18, is she likely to face problems at the border in the UK?

I will be providing her with the following documents to give to the border guard;

Her acceptance letter to the uk university
Her letter showing her place on the visit day
My proof of studying at the university
My last flight ticket showing I visited her only a few months prior
Her bank statement to show she has several thousand pounds
A letter from her mum saying she has given permission
Her flight tickets
A letter from me saying she will stay with me
My flight tickets

The day she arrives in Edinburgh, I will also be flying, back from Amsterdam where I will vacation for 5 days. I will also provide her with my flight tickets, so she can show them that ill be meeting her in the airport.

Can you forsee any issues?

Thanks

Johnny
Old Jan 24th 2015, 5:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 17 year old travelling to Edinburgh ALONE

How did you lose 2 years?
Old Jan 24th 2015, 5:44 am
Just Joined

Good question. When I posted last in December I made my age 2 years higher because I felt you guys would tell me id be at risk because of my age. I was nervous and was realy just looking for someone to tell me I wasn't at risk, so as to alleviate my worries. I am truthfully, 19, and this entire story here is true. Lemme offer you guys an apology for the misinformation in my previous post. Sorry
Old Jan 24th 2015, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnny4123
Good question. When I posted last in December I made my age 2 years higher because I felt you guys would tell me id be at risk because of my age. I was nervous and was realy just looking for someone to tell me I wasn't at risk, so as to alleviate my worries. I am truthfully, 19, and this entire story here is true. Lemme offer you guys an apology for the misinformation in my previous post. Sorry
Teaching moment.

Do not ever consider "misinforming" a Federal agency such as USCIS, DHS, DoS. They generally don't accept apologies as easily as we do.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 6:03 am
Just Joined

You're right. Last valuable learning moment
Old Jan 24th 2015, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

If she'll have a return ticket it sound good. It will be nice if they ignore Theresa May and don't get rid of the post-study work visa, so that after graduation she can stay on in the UK working, by which time you guys will be a better age to marry. You would have to marry to live together in the US, but if you decide to settle in the UK there is a partner visa for those who are lived together at least 2 years. For keeping options open you might want to get and keep any proof of living at the same address such as bank statements.

Good luck, hope she is 'the one.' For lots of us on BE our American partners did turn out to be our soulmates.