British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   14 hours in Atlanta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/14-hours-atlanta-843041/)

rachelk Sep 13th 2014 12:25 pm

14 hours in Atlanta

Hi all

I've never been in the USA before but this week I have a flight which involves a 14hour stay in Atlanta, arriving very early in the morning and leaving around 7pm in the evening.

I have no idea what the rules for transit passengers are in the US - will I be able to leave the airport? And if so, can anyone who knows the city give me recommendations on how to pass the time? I know that it's late summer there and still very warm (or at least much warmer than I'm used to) so nothing too energetic - nice places worth a visit or somewhere pretty to sit and relax.

Any advice/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Guindalf Sep 13th 2014 2:36 pm

Re: 14 hours in Atlanta

Once you have cleared CBP, you are free to leave the airport. It's not in the best part of town, so I would recommend getting some form of transportation and head toward the ATL itself. Remember that when you return, you will have to go through security again, so make sure you leave plenty of time to get through.

I suggest heading to the Aquarium (largest in the world and well worth a visit). There are other things around there within walking distance like World of Coke, the new black heritage museum (forget the name, but it's right there), the big ferris wheel, plenty of restaurants, etc. The good thing is you can do it all (or some of it) at your own pace. It can get quite busy, so again, keep you eye on the clock.

rachelk Sep 13th 2014 2:41 pm

Many thanks - I will have all day but am neurotic so will be back at the airport in plenty of time.

cranston Sep 13th 2014 6:09 pm

I recommend both the CNN and Coke tours

rachelk Sep 13th 2014 6:28 pm

Thank you. I have been warned both that immigration takes a long time and that I will have to collect and re-checkin my bags, but if it can be done, I will get out and see something.
I see that they have the world's biggest aquarium and that you can visit Margaret Mitchell's house, but it depends on the rules when I get there.

Thanks again for the suggestions - I'm not going for the happiest of reasons so would rather get out and do something than sit fretting in the airport all day.

Yorkieabroad Sep 13th 2014 8:10 pm

Agree on both the Aquarium and the CNN tour - both excellent. We do lots of aquarium visits all over the place, so I was a bit "oh no, not another" but it was a blisteringly hot day, so I gave in and went - and I was glad I did - it really is one of the best I've been in anywhere.

CNN tour was very good. Shame they wouldn't let us take cameras. I missed this on my previous visit which was mid sept 2001 and all the tours were cancelled and the whole campus on lockdown.

Coke was so-so - I don't think the new one is as good as the old one used to be, but that's just me, and propbably colored by the fact that when I visited the first time back in 2001. I was about the only person in there, but when I went to the new one a couple of years ago, it was crazy busy - long lines to get in, too many people once you got in, and many of the exhibits were broken. Not the coke machines in the free sampling room at the end though, which was good - divided off geographically and you could sample anything they sell in any market anywhere in the world.

Another place which is nice to wander, and is very close by (to the above) is the Olympic park. We also spent some touristy time in somewhere below ground (or maybe undercover) with lots of bars, restaurants and gift/craft type shops, and street performers - had a bit of a Covent Garden feel going on...Maybe the locals will know where I'm thinking of:o

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 13th 2014 11:16 pm

I'd go to the aquarium, that was my plan 2 years ago when I was flying through, but Delta changed those plans when the first flight became very delayed leaving the west coast leaving barely enough time to connect.