British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   14 day isolation? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/14-day-isolation-933149/)

QueenAnaMul Jun 11th 2020 4:31 pm

14 day isolation?

Hello all! I recently traveled back to my residence in New York from Manchester and it is advised to self isolate for 14 days. Does that mean I cannot travel back to UK in those 14 days? Or can I fly back to UK on the 14th day from time of arrival? There seem to be no article about this question online. Best of health!

SanDiegogirl Jun 11th 2020 6:41 pm

Re: 14 day isolation?

How do you self isolate if you are on a plane? Yes, you cannot go ANYWHERE when you are self isolating.

From your last posts it would appear you are applying for a spouse visa, so why would you plan on returning to the UK while your application is being processed - especially when you have left only 14 days earlier....... at that rate the border officials are likely to suspect you are trying to live in the UK under visitor status and deny you entry altogether. Also there is a 14 day quarantine in the UK currently.

Stay in the US ........

QueenAnaMul Jun 11th 2020 10:42 pm

No. I havent applied for a spouse visa. Offices are still closed in America. Im just having separation anxiety as my husband is an essential worker and I feel the need to be with my loved ones during this time of crisis. The reason I went back to New York was to basically get my daughters and stay in UK for the whole summer since theres no school.

On your post, its worrying when you said I wont be allowed in due to intention of living in the UK.

i have been in the UK 13 times from the past 5 years and longest I stayed was 3 months. Is it something I need to worry about?

SanDiegogirl Jun 11th 2020 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by QueenAnaMul (Post 12865434)
No. I havent applied for a spouse visa. Offices are still closed in America. Im just having separation anxiety as my husband is an essential worker and I feel the need to be with my loved ones during this time of crisis. The reason I went back to New York was to basically get my daughters and stay in UK for the whole summer since theres no school.

On your post, its worrying when you said I wont be allowed in due to intention of living in the UK.

i have been in the UK 13 times from the past 5 years and longest I stayed was 3 months. Is it something I need to worry about?

I didn't say you would not be let in....... however, you entered the UK in April, left late May(?) and are intending to fly back to the UK to stay for the whole summer. You obviously have no strong ties such as work or accommodation in the US, so you might be regarded as a bit of an overstay risk.

In the current situation with the virus, flying back and forth might be construed as somewhat unsociable ?

QueenAnaMul Jun 12th 2020 1:23 am

Understood. Work wise, my job isnt operating at the moment tho I do have a long work history in that company. Financing ourselves while in the UK is the least of my worry. Also my daughters go to school in in the USA and obviously cant get into any schools in UK without proper documentation. Is this enough argument if questioned by the officer ?

Been tested before I left UK after a household member tested positive ( which is a bit surprising if virus spreads that bad ) and just recently tested in the USA and both negative. I havent done antibody test just yet which will do very soon.

Im a sauna person and have portable ones at home, i religiously use the equipment especially when advised steaming is helpful to combat virus.

Going back to the topic without immigration process per se it is not mandatory in the USA to self isolate for 14 days, it is just advised and to watch for symptoms. Will they stop you at the airport and not let you fly to UK ?

Anyone had an experience regarding this ? TIA

Former Lancastrian Jun 12th 2020 1:36 am

OP you are asking the impossible questions and you need to take a breath.
As you are not a UK citizen the UK is not obliged under any law to allow you to enter unless holding a document that was issued and is still valid by the UK authorities and this does not include visas, eta's or that allows you to solely travel to the UK.
Even with a valid document you could still be refused entry if any circumstances have changed since that document was issued and you have left the UK and now returning. There are too many what ifs, ands or buts and the final decision rests with the UK officer when you arrive. You have to make the choice as to travel or not. You could be admitted without any problems or be refused entry. Nobody on this forum can give you a definitive 100% answer no matter how many questions you ask.
Sure take proof of employment in the USA and when expected back to work and that you are still employed by them, Take a recent bank account statement, take proof of your daughters admission to school hell even take documents showing you still own property in the USA and that you still have a car registered in your name etc etc etc but even those won't GUARANTEE entry to the UK.

spouse of scouse Jun 12th 2020 4:20 am

Slightly off-topic, but have you been able to get travel insurance for your flights to/from the UK since the emergence of the coronavirus? As the US government has issued a global level 4 'do not travel' advisory for all international travel, I'd be surprised if you found an insurer willing to cover you.

SanDiegogirl Jun 12th 2020 5:21 am

Originally Posted by QueenAnaMul (Post 12865473)

Been tested before I left UK after a household member tested positive ( which is a bit surprising if virus spreads that bad ) and just recently tested in the USA and both negative. I havent done antibody test just yet which will do very soon.

I
TIA

...... and you are going back to a household where someone has already tested positive, with your daughters?

Please stay in the US in quarantine........

civilservant Jun 12th 2020 11:41 am

Honestly, it is people like you that have infected the world. You have no NEED to be in the UK, you just WANT to be. If I was a UK Border Force inspector, I'd bounce you for trying to live in the UK while not having an appropriate visa to do so.

I cannot fathom why you continue to subject yourself and your children to the risk posed by COVID.

QueenAnaMul Jun 12th 2020 11:42 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12865545)
Slightly off-topic, but have you been able to get travel insurance for your flights to/from the UK since the emergence of the coronavirus? As the US government has issued a global level 4 'do not travel' advisory for all international travel, I'd be surprised if you found an insurer willing to cover you.

Yes I was able to and theyre 3 times more expensive. Airlines now have travel waiver as well. Still indecisive cuz of inputs here which I appreciate.

QueenAnaMul Jun 12th 2020 11:46 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12865648)
Honestly, it is people like you that have infected the world. You have no NEED to be in the UK, you just WANT to be. If I was a UK Border Force inspector, I'd bounce you for trying to live in the UK while not having an appropriate visa to do so.

I cannot fathom why you continue to subject yourself and your children to the risk posed by COVID.

Whatever pleases your judgment like I said I appreciate y’all inputs.

tht Jun 12th 2020 2:10 pm

One issue you should also consider is a potential overstay... if you travel now and another wave shuts down flights you may be in a situation where you are stuck and forced to overstay your admission which could lead to future issues.

TexanScot Jun 12th 2020 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by QueenAnaMul (Post 12865473)

As someone who has family members working in front-line NHS roles, it absolutely boggles my mind that you willingly got on a transatlantic flight when you KNEW that you had an immediate household member who had tested positive for COVID-19...

civilservant Jun 12th 2020 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by TexanScot (Post 12865802)
As someone who has family members working in front-line NHS roles, it absolutely boggles my mind that you willingly got on a transatlantic flight when you KNEW that you had an immediate household member who had tested positive for COVID-19...

and even if that were not the case... she resides in the US 'hotspot' for the virus!

Rete Jun 12th 2020 5:10 pm

Think of it this way ... You are no good to your husband or your children if you contract the virus or are dead.

You must quarantine yourself for the full 14 days upon arrival in the states. The second wave of the virus is happening now. Why would you go to the UK at this time to be with a husband that is probably working nearly 24/7? What can you do for him there but make him worry about you and your safety.