British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   12volt power supplies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/12volt-power-supplies-736931/)

Brit In TN Oct 26th 2011 1:54 pm

12volt power supplies

I'm going back to UK for a visit and am intending to take my TomTom gps/sat nav (bought in US) with me. I'm aware that I need to download the relevant maps. However, I cannot find out if the 12v power supply will fit into and work with UK 12v outlets in cars.
Are these fittings more or less globally standard or will I need some kind of adapter?
Any info appreciated.

mikechristina Oct 26th 2011 2:04 pm

Re: 12volt power supplies

All of our 12v car chargers work in the USA and UK, no problem :)

Mummy in the foothills Oct 26th 2011 3:42 pm

We used the same car chargers in US and UK, Ds took his US bought tom tom to UK and uses the car charger with no problem, he did the upgrade and got the maps for Europe while still in the US.

Brit In TN Oct 26th 2011 3:49 pm

Thank you very much. I appreciate you folks taking the time to respond.

discoviking Oct 26th 2011 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by mikechristina (Post 9696885)
All of our 12v car chargers work in the USA and UK, no problem :)

As long as you don't try to plug the adapter into the cigarette-lighter outlet on a Land Rover, yes. For some reason some Land Rovers use a slightly larger outlet.

Bob Oct 26th 2011 8:45 pm

It'll be fine....one problem with EU maps on the TomTom, they're sometimes a smidge to large to fit on if you have the US/Canada/Mexico map combo on some models...which means backing them up, removing them and then sticking on the new map, which is a hassle because you can't just remove say Mexico as it's all one job.

stevebar Oct 26th 2011 9:08 pm

Hi
Usually there is some compatability problem with sat nav's and with the expense of the upgrade to euro mapping it may well be worth just buying a cheap sat nav.
12 volt cig lighters are the same the world over, usually made by Lucas or Mitsubishi.. and vehicle batteries are also the same 12v and an amperage of easily enough t run any sat nav.
Tom Tom at halford's £99.99 but mio nav man with all UK, ROI and EU £69.90, for the hassle of upgrading the memory without problems go for a new pre-programmed nav with warranty and all elec's for £69.

Regards
Steve

stevebar Oct 26th 2011 9:22 pm

Hi
just thought I'd add the Garmin Nuvi, which we prefer and have the Brit / EU and Walmart US version at £69 would be my 1st choice.
We looked at buying the Full US download mapping from Garmin but it was nearly as much as buying a new unit with 12 month Gtee and all bit's from Walmart...no contest...buy new package deal.

Steve

Bob Oct 26th 2011 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by stevebar (Post 9698076)
Hi
Usually there is some compatability problem with sat nav's and with the expense of the upgrade to euro mapping it may well be worth just buying a cheap sat nav.

Cost and hassle are valid points...but, getting it to work isn't a problem, the only problem would be the traffic updates if your GPS has that, as that is done differently in the US to the EU.

stevebar Oct 26th 2011 9:33 pm

you could always buy some maps...take your wife/partner and let the argueing begin.
Get off the plane at London H or G and end up in Brighton by mistake ( two trips ago) took hour's to get back to Dorset, thought I knew better than the Garmin..

Steve