Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

12-month posting to the USA.

12-month posting to the USA.

Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of
Default Re: 12-month posting to the USA.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
There, I fixed it for you!

I had the exact same reaction except we had to use Deloitte not KPMG.

I'll admit that our scenario is complicated (British cit, green card holder paid in $, tax equalized in China) but getting the tax 'big guns' to work it out for us was horrifically painful.

Turbo Tax works for me.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by od6600
Sadly the University is not going to get any more involved than letting me go. The rest is up to us.
Check into whether your university has any sort of blanket travel insurance policies. Mine in Australia had an amazing one that was basically custom-built for sabbaticals, field trips and all the other silly academic things that can't be easily shoe-horned into commercial packages. I used it while I was a PhD student on a 6 month visit to the US (I just had to notify them of dates, places, etc.)

If they have one, they may not advertise it well, so ask around!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:18 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Most universities require that you have insurance cover, either through your parents plan (in an American) or through a low-cost school plan they offer. Things you will need to check are the deductible (i.e. the amount you pay before insurance starts to pay) and the copays (amount you pay each time you visit a doctor). While the copay is usually something like $20 per visit to a GP, in case of a major medical emergency it can be 10-20% of the cost, which can add up with major bills.

Also, because it is a school, make sure it is a 12 month and not a 9 month cover (school year only).