Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

1040, and the British State Pension!

1040, and the British State Pension!

Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1040, and the British State Pension!

Back in December 2012, nun was good enough to spell out how to report the British State Pension on the 1040. It should go on line 16, and the whole amount is taxable. Lansbury also contributed good information, thanks guys, I printed off those posts and put them in my pile of notes for tax time. Now that I'm finishing off my 1040, using the tried and true pencil and paper method, it leaves me with a question about the pension and line 16.

Line 16 seems to be a catchall for all retirement income distributions except US SS. For US source income from annuities and 403b and the like, there'll be a 1099-R to back it up. But with the British State Pension (my wife started to get hers last summer), you just have to add it in with other sources of income with no paperwork to back it up, no explanation of source? It just seems odd to me that there is no schedule behind line 16 where you can list out different sources of income (kind of like line 8 and line 9 have the Schedule B to back them up.)

Any enlightenment gratefully received; and btw, I did confirm that the good folks in the UK did not withhold any tax.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1040, and the British State Pension!

Originally Posted by robin1234
Back in December 2012, nun was good enough to spell out how to report the British State Pension on the 1040. It should go on line 16, and the whole amount is taxable. Lansbury also contributed good information, thanks guys, I printed off those posts and put them in my pile of notes for tax time. Now that I'm finishing off my 1040, using the tried and true pencil and paper method, it leaves me with a question about the pension and line 16.

Line 16 seems to be a catchall for all retirement income distributions except US SS. For US source income from annuities and 403b and the like, there'll be a 1099-R to back it up. But with the British State Pension (my wife started to get hers last summer), you just have to add it in with other sources of income with no paperwork to back it up, no explanation of source? It just seems odd to me that there is no schedule behind line 16 where you can list out different sources of income (kind of like line 8 and line 9 have the Schedule B to back them up.)

Any enlightenment gratefully received; and btw, I did confirm that the good folks in the UK did not withhold any tax.
Forms (1099's, w-2's, etc.) are sent to both you and the IRS by US agencies and companies but not required for foreign sources of income. The government normally trusts people that they declared all foreign income but just in case they audit you, you should keep bank statements indicating foreign sources of income.

However even the gain or loss on US stock sales or property are not reported to the IRS so they normally trust people to report that income so brokerage or title company records should be kept for those also.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 2nd 2013 at 5:50 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Forms (1099's, w-2's, etc.) are sent to both you and the IRS by US agencies and companies but not required for foreign sources of income. The government normally trusts people that they declared all foreign income but just in case they audit you, you should keep bank statements indicating foreign sources of income.

However even the gain or loss on US stock sales or property are not reported to the IRS so they normally trust people to report that income so brokerage or title company records should be kept for those also.
Thanks Michael. Further, I was just poking around, looking for further advice, and some folks are advising to fill out a Form 4852 as substitute for 1099R, in these exact circumstances. Rationale is, in some states there is a deduction or exemption for pension income, and explicating the amount received from the UK Dept of Pensions on a Form 4852 would allow one to take advantage of any state deduction or exemption.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:21 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Our CPA hasn't filled out any further forms since my wife got her pension. Now two returns ago. Just puts the amount in the line and leaves it at that. So far no problems have arisen.

Only record of the payments we could produce if necessary would be an online print out from our bank statement to show the amount received.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Michael. Further, I was just poking around, looking for further advice, and some folks are advising to fill out a Form 4852 as substitute for 1099R, in these exact circumstances. Rationale is, in some states there is a deduction or exemption for pension income, and explicating the amount received from the UK Dept of Pensions on a Form 4852 would allow one to take advantage of any state deduction or exemption.
If it helps with state income taxes, then do it. Normally there isn't any penalty for not filing out a form as long as the income is reported and usually if the reported income is higher than what the IRS knows about, this does not normally trigger an audit.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

For stocks purchased after Jan 2011 the cost basis of sales is now reported to the IRS.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
For stocks purchased after Jan 2011 the cost basis of sales is now reported to the IRS.
The cost basis if purchased in that year but not necessarily the gain. Although the gain may be calculated on the year end statement (purchase price and selling price) and possibly even on the 1099, that is not a requirement since the stock could have been transferred from another brokerage and the purchase price may be unknown.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 4th 2013 at 3:20 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 7:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

If it helps with state income taxes, then do it. Normally there isn't any penalty for not filing out a form as long as the income is reported and usually if the reported income is higher than what the IRS knows about, this does not normally trigger an audit.
Just to update, I have decided to go the Form 4852 route for the 1040 line 16, using it essentially as a substitute 1099-R. Reason is, New York State (civilised state that it is) does not tax pension income. Form 4852 will provide a paper trail for my NYS IT-201, indicating that the income is British State Pension and not taxable by NYS.

I'm filing paper snail-mail, using paper & quill-pen method.