British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Is 100CF (cubic feet) a lot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/100cf-cubic-feet-lot-798380/)

ldollard May 29th 2013 12:33 am

Is 100CF (cubic feet) a lot

I'm planning on sharing a container and I know this question is nigh on impossible to answer, but i'll ask anyway.

Without taking any furniture or electrics. But just kids toys, clothes bedding and kitchen utensils and about 100 books. Would a 100CF shared container be enough space.

How many Cubic Feet, did you all use in the end and what did you put in that space?

Thanks

penguinsix May 29th 2013 12:45 am

Re: Is 100CF (cubic feet) a lot

I think the easiest way is to visualize.

A 10 foot by 10 foot room (basically your basic bedroom). Could you lay out everything you want to ship on the floor and not have it go higher than 1 foot? Another way is carry on luggage. Your basic rollie wheel luggage that you take on a plane can carry 2 cubic feet. Can you fit everything you own into 50? A large suitcase can handle about 4 cubic feet. Can you get it all in 25 suitcases?

As a general note, everytime I've packed for a trip, I've always gone over. You get everything you need and then you think "let's add a tin opener, and that toaster we like, and a rugby ball so we don't have to buy a new one" and it gets bigger and bigger.

You can probably do it with 100 cubic feet. Have you researched the price of "extra baggage" on your flight? Most airlines allow upto 8 extra suitcases (for a fee) but often this fee is comparable to the costs of say adding an extra 100cf to your shipping load. So may 100 on the boat and an extra 10 with a couple of spare suitcases?

ldollard May 29th 2013 1:03 am

it seems our books alone take up that much space. not sure they are worth taking then.

I think we could do it with 200CF for sure with 300CF.

I'm looking on http://www.upakweship.com/cheap-ship.php and if i'm correct 100CF is about $315 so 300CF would be $945 plus about $125 for customs clearence in uk for about $1070 all in if i do everything myself including dropping it all off at Long beach and picking it up at the terminal in the uk.

Does that sound right...?

Cardienscarf May 29th 2013 1:42 am

Originally Posted by ldollard (Post 10729699)
it seems our books alone take up that much space. not sure they are worth taking then.

I'm looking on http://www.upakweship.com/cheap-ship.php and if i'm correct 100CF is about $315 so 300CF would be $945 plus about $125 for customs clearence in uk for about $1070 all in if i do everything myself including dropping it all off at Long beach and picking it up at the terminal in the uk.

I'd get a quote from them and see what the cost is.

penguinsix May 29th 2013 1:43 am

Afraid I don't know the current rates. It doesn't sound all that bad, though you should watch out at the other end picking it up as they can sometimes charge "storage" fees or "handling" fees to bring the cargo from the yard to you.

My moves have been company paid so we got the packing / unpacking service. My last trip was from Washington to Hong Kong in a 20 footer (1,360 cubic feet) at $6,000 USD so I guess your $1070 for 300CF is probably not that unreasonable.

ldollard May 29th 2013 1:48 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 10729722)
Afraid I don't know the current rates. It doesn't sound all that bad, though you should watch out at the other end picking it up as they can sometimes charge "storage" fees or "handling" fees to bring the cargo from the yard to you.

My moves have been company paid so we got the packing / unpacking service. My last trip was from Washington to Hong Kong in a 20 footer (1,360 cubic feet) at $6,000 USD so I guess your $1070 for 300CF is probably not that unreasonable.

thanks for the help, i emailed them for specific info as the website didn't seem that helpful.

happyglow May 29th 2013 6:57 am

Originally Posted by ldollard (Post 10729663)
I'm planning on sharing a container and I know this question is nigh on impossible to answer, but i'll ask anyway.

Without taking any furniture or electrics. But just kids toys, clothes bedding and kitchen utensils and about 100 books. Would a 100CF shared container be enough space.

How many Cubic Feet, did you all use in the end and what did you put in that space?

Thanks

I used about 50 cu ft and with good boxes and careful self-pack you can get a LOT in. Mine was clothes, books, kitchen stuff, tools, random bits, for one person. I didn't plan how much space I needed, just kept buying and filling boxes until the job was done.

Good luck!

windsong May 29th 2013 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ldollard (Post 10729699)

Those rates sound very reasonable to me but I am not familiar with what others charge either.

ldollard May 29th 2013 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by happyglow (Post 10729909)
I used about 50 cu ft and with good boxes and careful self-pack you can get a LOT in. Mine was clothes, books, kitchen stuff, tools, random bits, for one person. I didn't plan how much space I needed, just kept buying and filling boxes until the job was done.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10730168)
Those rates sound very reasonable to me but I am not familiar with what others charge either.

thanks guys, hopefully i'll get a response today so i'll know. its quite amazing just how expensive this move all gets.