Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

10 Reasons Why I Love America

10 Reasons Why I Love America

Old Jul 20th 2004, 5:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dant3
America is the home of the devil,

Has anybody informed Bush? Let's get the troops home where they are needed.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 5:09 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

It's easy to come up with a list of reasons why America is the home of the devil, but I'm tired of hearing it.

Nah, it's just the White House that's currently playing host to the devil.

Personally I love living in the US. Yes I bitch about some of life's annoyances here, and yes I sometimes get homesick, and of course I miss family and friends, but there is absolutely no way you will catch me returning to England any time soon!
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:05 pm
Visa in hand!!!

sohosid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaflorida
but there is absolutely no way you will catch me returning to England any time soon!
And there is no reason you should be thinking of coming back to this stinkhole....

Just this last week we have had news that Council Tax is on the rise, with the highest rate to be about £6000 a year.....now today we hear that the congestion charge may well go nationwide, and be around £1.34 PER MILE........

This country is really doing it's best to reasure me that I've made the right decision to emigrate!

Mike
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:12 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by sohosid
And there is no reason you should be thinking of coming back to this stinkhole....

Just this last week we have had news that Council Tax is on the rise, with the highest rate to be about £6000 a year.....now today we hear that the congestion charge may well go nationwide, and be around £1.34 PER MILE........

This country is really doing it's best to reasure me that I've made the right decision to emigrate!

Mike
Quite right that some of the bigger, more expensive homes should be taxed more. As for the road charges, I'm sure they're talking about London.

Get ready to pay a lot more for other things if you're coming to the US. Some things are cheaper, others will cost you a lot more, especially moving to somewhere like San Francisco.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:37 pm
Visa in hand!!!

Originally posted by RoB1833
Quite right that some of the bigger, more expensive homes should be taxed more. As for the road charges, I'm sure they're talking about London.
Well, *some* of the bigger homes should pay more, but the system being proposed takes no account of the fact that all houses have risen in value, and even basic family homes are now worth a lot more. The new banding means that most people will be paying, on average, double the amount now.

Originally posted by RoB1833 As for the road charges, I'm sure they're talking about London.
Nope....they are proposing scraping the road tax and duty of fuel, and replacing it with a system to charge you by the mile, with the rate mentioned of £1.34 per mile. If you average 10,000 miles a year (which is just below the national average) then you're going to be paying 13 grand a year....WAYYYY more than you'd ever pay in petrol and road tax. It's only a suggestion right now, and I actually doubt it will ever happen....that wasn't my point....

Originally posted by RoB1833 Get ready to pay a lot more for other things if you're coming to the US. Some things are cheaper, others will cost you a lot more, especially moving to somewhere like San Francisco.
I'm aware of that...by weighing it all up I still can't wait to get out of the UK.

By the way....off the top of your head, what exactly will be more expensive in San Francisco compared to Central London???

Mike

Last edited by sohosid; Jul 20th 2004 at 11:45 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:56 pm
Professional Mover

RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

By the way....off the top of your head, what exactly will be more expensive in San Francisco compared to Central London???

Mike
Never lived in either place.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 12:02 am
Visa in hand!!!

Never lived in either place.
So....to sum up, your statement:

Get ready to pay a lot more for other things if you're coming to the US. Some things are cheaper, others will cost you a lot more, especially moving to somewhere like San Francisco.
was in fact based on no facts known to you at all......or, to rephrase....bollocks.....

Mike
Old Jul 21st 2004, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

was in fact based on no facts known to you at all......or, to rephrase....bollocks.....

Mike
You'll find a lot of bollocks being spoken here, SohoSid! Everyone will tell you that San Francisco is expensive and it is. But anyone who has spent any time trying to live in London will find no surprises at all.

JAMES
Old Jul 21st 2004, 12:30 am
Visa in hand!!!

You'll find a lot of bollocks being spoken here, SohoSid! Everyone will tell you that San Francisco is expensive and it is. But anyone who has spent any time trying to live in London will find no surprises at all.

JAMES
Ha ha!! Well...it's a message board....even the best ones have a ton of bollocks!!

I've been to SF before, so I'm aware of the prices...but as you say, London is in pretty much another league!!!!

Anyway, nice to meet you James........the name is actually Mike, not Sid......(long story!)

Mike.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:04 am
Professional Mover

Mike
Know enough not to live in either place, especially not London!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 2:34 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Living in London - been there done that. Yes, certain parts of the US are more expensive than others, thankfully hubby and I have ended up in one of the cheaper areas with a good quality of life - Central Florida.