Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The 10 most expensive US neighborhoods for renters

The 10 most expensive US neighborhoods for renters

Old Nov 1st 2014, 3:48 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 10 most expensive US neighborhoods for renters

Two Manhattan neighbourhoods are top of the list (of course)- over $4,000. average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment. But some of the other pricey areas came as a surprise to me. (A few I'd never heard of, actually...)

The 10 Most Expensive Neighborhoods for Renters | Money Talks News
Old Nov 1st 2014, 5:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 10 most expensive US neighborhoods for renters

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Two Manhattan neighbourhoods are top of the list (of course)- over $4,000. average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment. But some of the other pricey areas came as a surprise to me. (A few I'd never heard of, actually...)

The 10 Most Expensive Neighborhoods for Renters | Money Talks News
So reading the rather sketchy explanation, the ranking includes a component related to affordability compared to the income of renters in the area, making it difficult to understand exactly what it means. Separate rankings of absolute rent and of percentage of income would have been clearer, I think.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

None of them really surprised me but I think the list is wrong. Some areas have very few rentals so seem to be not included. For instance in along the peninsula, they are many areas that are significantly more expensive than Palo Alto but have few apartments. I'm surprised there is not even one area in Marin county that is listed and there are quite a few very expensive areas there.

And only one from the greater LA area. How about Malibu (not sure if there are 1 bedroom apartments there), Bel Air, and Santa Monica.

Last edited by Michael; Nov 1st 2014 at 6:25 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
None of them really surprised me but I think the list is wrong. Some areas have very few rentals so seem to be not included. For instance in along the peninsula, they are many areas that are significantly more expensive than Palo Alto but have few apartments. I'm surprised there is not even one area in Marin county that is listed and there are quite a few very expensive areas there.

And only one from the greater LA area. How about Malibu (not sure if there are 1 bedroom apartments there), Bel Air, and Santa Monica.
I was wondering about that too. It appears they also take income into account:

Because the rankings include both average rent and the percent of income spent on rent, you may not see some notoriously expensive neighborhoods on the list, most likely because the renters have higher incomes.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I was wondering about that too. It appears they also take income into account:

Because the rankings include both average rent and the percent of income spent on rent, you may not see some notoriously expensive neighborhoods on the list, most likely because the renters have higher incomes.
When I lived in LA in the 1960s, I was looking for places to rent and I happened to go to Bel Air without knowing it was really expensive area. I walked into an apartment complex and they showed me a studio and the rent was more than my income. I politely looked around and said I'd have to think about it.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in LA in the 1960s, I was looking for places to rent and I happened to go to Bel Air without knowing it was really expensive area. I walked into an apartment complex and they showed me a studio and the rent was more than my income. I politely looked around and said I'd have to think about it.
At least it wouldn't have taken long to look around
Old Nov 1st 2014, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
At least it wouldn't have taken long to look around

After that fiasco, I realized that I didn't know what the hell I was doing trying to find an apartment so I looked in the newspaper for apartments to share and shared a two bedroom apartment with another in beautiful Alhambra. After that one, I then shared another two bedroom apartment in beautiful Monterey Park.

After that, I moved to the bay area and prices were so much cheaper. I found a one bedroom in Sunnavle in a pretty decent area for a good price. At that time, the average price for a house in San Jose was about $15,000 and Sunnyvale was about $20,000 and the real expensive areas were about $25,000-$30,000.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

After that fiasco, I realized that I didn't know what the hell I was doing trying to find an apartment so I looked in the newspaper for apartments to share and shared a two bedroom apartment with another in beautiful Alhambra. After that one, I then shared another two bedroom apartment in beautiful Monterey Park.

After that, I moved to the bay area and prices were so much cheaper. I found a one bedroom in Sunnavle in a pretty decent area for a good price. At that time, the average price for a house in San Jose was about $15,000 and Sunnyvale was about $20,000 and the real expensive areas were about $25,000-$30,000.
I certainly wish I could have kept my first flat in Holloway.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

In West Philadelphia born and raised, on the playground was where I spent most of my days ....

*Fresh Prince*
Old Nov 1st 2014, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hoffage123
In West Philadelphia born and raised, on the playground was where I spent most of my days ....

*Fresh Prince*
Ha ha I was thinking Michael would have been OK if that show had been made earlier.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 11:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Boston, kind of makes sense, though who actually lives in Government Center? It's a ghost town over the weekend...plus parking rental can cost just as much as the apartment
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Boston, kind of makes sense, though who actually lives in Government Center? It's a ghost town over the weekend...plus parking rental can cost just as much as the apartment
About 15 years ago, parking spaces in Manhattan could be bought for about $250,000.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 2:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The San Diego neighborhood listed doesn't surprise me, it's downtown in a central location, mostly newer build condo's, and well San Diego salaries don't really match the cost of living there.

But luckily there are some more affordable regions there, but they are not pleasant places to live if you can avoid it.

My sister lives in one of those, not a nice place to raise kids.