Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

10-99 Tax submission on H1B (HELP!!!)

10-99 Tax submission on H1B (HELP!!!)

Old Mar 18th 2004, 3:14 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice
Default 10-99 Tax submission on H1B (HELP!!!)

Up to now I have never had any income apart from my H1B authorized salary...however for this years tax (2004), I will be making a bonus for small company in my local area based on performance and commission (but as I will not be recieving a salary, I understand no INS authorization is necessary for this 'extra' income). The bonus/commission money will be represented on my 10-99 form at the end of this tax year which will be sent to me by the company in Dec2004/Jan 2005 but before I go ahead with this...I realy want it to be all above board, I know it can be if I do it right.

Can I file a 10-99 as an H1B holder?

Is there any limits to the amount I declare?

Am I in danger...?

This is a complex arena and I am having trouble finding anyone with experience in this, please reply if you have personal experience in filing 10-99 on H1B

Many Thanks

Chopper
Old Mar 18th 2004, 7:11 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice
Default Re: 10-99 Tax submission on H1B (HELP!!!)

Maybe I should add another question to this...

will the company gove me the 'bonus' have to submit a 10-99 to the IRS or is that my responsibility?

Are there no accountants out there?

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
Up to now I have never had any income apart from my H1B authorized salary...however for this years tax (2004), I will be making a bonus for small company in my local area based on performance and commission (but as I will not be recieving a salary, I understand no INS authorization is necessary for this 'extra' income). The bonus/commission money will be represented on my 10-99 form at the end of this tax year which will be sent to me by the company in Dec2004/Jan 2005 but before I go ahead with this...I realy want it to be all above board, I know it can be if I do it right.

Am I in danger...?

This is a complex arena and I am having trouble finding anyone with experience in this, please reply if you have personal experience in filing 10-99 on H1B

Many Thanks

Chopper
Old Mar 18th 2004, 7:13 pm
dealing with it

OR...

have any of the H1B holders out there ever made any supplementary income...if so...how did you report this (did you have to report this?)

Thanks...anyone!!!

Am I in danger...?

Many Thanks

Chopper
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

lins77 will become famous soon enough

Maybe I should add another question to this...

will the company gove me the 'bonus' have to submit a 10-99 to the IRS or is that my responsibility?

Are there no accountants out there?
I'm not am H1B holder so I can't comment on anything relating to that.

Both me and my husband get paid as consultants and so get 1099's, though. I believe that the company will also submit the form to show where the money went, otherwise they would be liable for tax on the money.

So if they gave you a 1099 and you didn't submit it, I would think the IRS might get suspiscious.

I'm not an expert on this, though - just how I think it happens.

Lindsey
Old Mar 19th 2004, 3:11 pm
dealing with it

Thanks Lindsey

If I may be so bold, what is your status? I undertand that with H1B I can't work as an independent contractor/consultant....at least as a MAIN income.

C

Originally posted by lins77
I'm not am H1B holder so I can't comment on anything relating to that.

Both me and my husband get paid as consultants and so get 1099's, though. I believe that the company will also submit the form to show where the money went, otherwise they would be liable for tax on the money.

So if they gave you a 1099 and you didn't submit it, I would think the IRS might get suspiscious.

I'm not an expert on this, though - just how I think it happens.

Lindsey