Reload this Page >

1 Year Secondment to USA - Any advice appreciated

1 Year Secondment to USA - Any advice appreciated

Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

BigCraig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1 Year Secondment to USA - Any advice appreciated

Hi,
My wife has been given the opportunity of a 1 year secondment to Boston to do some research at the Harvard Public School of Health. She will continue to be paid by her current university here in the UK.
I am a secondary school science teacher and would hope to work while we are there. We also have 2 children who will be aged 8 and 6 when we go across next year (hopefully Aug 2014 -2015).
I am asking for any advice about everything and anything -
How easy will it be for me to get a job (doesn't have to be teaching)?
How do we go about getting the kids into a school for one year (will we have to pay)?
If my wife is being paid by her University will she have to pay UK tax or USA tax (hopefully the University will sort that out, but any additional information is useful)?
What sort of insurances will we need e.g. medical, etc?
Are there any other questions I should be asking?

Any help, advice, information will be gratefully received.
BigCraig
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 Year Secondment to USA - Any advice appreciated

What visa would your wife be receiving? That is the key issue. On one type of visa you would be able to work, on another you wouldn't.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

I think she will be on a J1 visa.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Teaching wise, generally there's a large demand for science teachers but I don't know about Boston.
Also generally you'd need Teacher Certification and that would take at least a year to obtain although it can be done while on the job...very, very difficult though, you'd have no life.

If the visa allows you to work I think your best bet would be at a private school.

If the visa doesn't allow you to work stay in the UK, or take a long vacation in Boston. (Although it seems a big disruption for the sake of a year.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Aug 15th 2013 at 8:45 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Don't forget that there is a good chance you'll only be able to work as a substitute teacher as well, even if they'll waive the teacher certification or allow you to work on it while you teach.

Subs aren't, shall we say, the best paid teaching positions you can find over here.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigCraig
I think she will be on a J1 visa.
I believe a J-2 visa holder can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) once inside the USA. If that's the case, then you are free to work for any employer.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
..... If the visa allows you to work I think your best bet would be at a private school. ....
But for just one year, even that doesn't seem likely, IMO. If you find work as a teacher, which in itself seems unlikely given the difficulties finding work in the US other British teachers have reported here on BE, it will likely be as a substitute/ temp, perhaps at private schools.

The tax position looks like a minefield, so your wife's employer should be picking up the tab for a tax accountant. You should NOT accept a blanket "don't worry, we're taking care of it" without understanding how they're taking care of it, and that either income and payroll taxes are being deducted and paid OR that a suitably qualified tax professional has confirmed that none are due (some taxes are almost certainly going to be payable in the US).
Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:19 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigCraig
Hi,
My wife has been given the opportunity of a 1 year secondment to Boston to do some research at the Harvard Public School of Health. She will continue to be paid by her current university here in the UK.
I am a secondary school science teacher and would hope to work while we are there. We also have 2 children who will be aged 8 and 6 when we go across next year (hopefully Aug 2014 -2015).
I am asking for any advice about everything and anything -
How easy will it be for me to get a job (doesn't have to be teaching)?
How do we go about getting the kids into a school for one year (will we have to pay)?
If my wife is being paid by her University will she have to pay UK tax or USA tax (hopefully the University will sort that out, but any additional information is useful)?
What sort of insurances will we need e.g. medical, etc?
Are there any other questions I should be asking?

Any help, advice, information will be gratefully received.
BigCraig
As far as schools for your kids go, you would be able to enroll them at the local school once you have a place to live. Each school district is different, but you usually have to take your rental agreement and sometimes a domestic bill, to the district office and fill out all the relevant paperwork, and you will be assigned a school. The school allocation will depend on exactly where you live, a house at the other side of the road could be in a different school catchment area. However, if you move mid-year, there is always a chance your catchment area school will be full, and you will be assigned another school within the district. You won't have to pay.

Your kids will probably need some extra immunizations to attend school, so make sure you have all your medical records, and if they have had chicken pox get something official from your doctor saying this.

Make sure your wife is receiving full medical for all of you, and check out what your co-pay and out of pocket expenses will be. Even with medical insurance, you still pay for doctor visits...

Last edited by N1cky; Aug 15th 2013 at 10:21 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Just a quick note of thanks to everyone's responses so far. They've given me some things to think about and look into.
Many Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2013, 1:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Don't forget that there is a good chance you'll only be able to work as a substitute teacher as well, even if they'll waive the teacher certification or allow you to work on it while you teach.

Subs aren't, shall we say, the best paid teaching positions you can find over here.
Not in Boston. Get put in a pool but will never get a gig in Boston and pay is minimum wage.

There is a very good Brit school in Jamaica Plain, which is on the Orange Line of the T.

Medical insurance is key and maker or breaker. It's also a requirement in MA and you'd not be eligible for state insurance.

Kids schools, in Boston, can be very hit or miss, some amazing schools but also plenty of shit ones and the big difference between a pokey flat being $2k or $3k. But most families live in the burbs, not cheap, but better schools and value for money but a 10 mile drive can take you an hour to drive if you pick the wrong area.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:56 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I believe in some J1 circumstances regarding academics you won't be subject to US taxes if paid by the sponsoring institution back home, however, your visa and working for a US employer might bring up some tax liability issues. This is a highly complicated area though.

As a general note, the US loves to try and get taxes from anyone they possibly can. US citizens, unlike nearly everyone else in the world, are taxed on their income WORLDWIDE, even if they haven't set foot on US soil for decades. You really need some professional advice on the tax issue and as others have mentioned "don't just take the school's word on the matter". An accountant with some cross-border tax issues might be a worthwhile investment, especially if you end up working.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:37 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

My honest advice: stay behind with the kids. A year is a very short time to uproot your family from school and to give up your job for. I live here in Boston, it's a lovely place, your wife will be very happy here!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 3:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
My honest advice: stay behind with the kids. A year is a very short time to uproot your family from school and to give up your job for. I live here in Boston, it's a lovely place, your wife will be very happy here!
+1. Agreed. There is little prospect of you working, and no prospect of you getting work that is interesting or rewarding, financially or emotionally. It is also going to mean two major disruptions to your children's education.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Wondering if it would be possible to apply for a one-year teacher exchange program that would place you in a Boston school. Teacher exchange programs do exist, but I don't know if you could get guaranteed placement in Boston or a specific part of Boston.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 4:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
Wondering if it would be possible to apply for a one-year teacher exchange program that would place you in a Boston school. Teacher exchange programs do exist, but I don't know if you could get guaranteed placement in Boston or a specific part of Boston.
Would be unlikely, with the number of teachers that have been laid off.

Possibly more of a goes way out in the burbs or areas that are struggling to get teachers, but who wants to travel half way around the world to end up in Lowell or Leominster for a year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.