Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

£8.20 UK to US airfares planned

£8.20 UK to US airfares planned

Old Feb 28th 2014, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: £8.20 UK to US airfares planned

They have floated this idea for years, I'm not convinced it will work, many low cost carriers have tried the transatlantic thing, and ended up either bankrupt or having to pull out of the long haul market. From a customer point of view I think the biggest problem will be connectivity to other cities. While a lot of people come to New York for Orlando from a holiday and stay in that area, there are a lot who go to other places. Even when I was just going to the US on holiday I always connected to another city that wouldn't be served by a direct transatlantic route, I would suspect this would be the case for some business travelers too. This type of thing goes against Ryanair's business modal.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 2:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
They have floated this idea for years, I'm not convinced it will work, many low cost carriers have tried the transatlantic thing, and ended up either bankrupt or having to pull out of the long haul market. From a customer point of view I think the biggest problem will be connectivity to other cities. While a lot of people come to New York for Orlando from a holiday and stay in that area, there are a lot who go to other places. Even when I was just going to the US on holiday I always connected to another city that wouldn't be served by a direct transatlantic route, I would suspect this would be the case for some business travelers too. This type of thing goes against Ryanair's business modal.
In order to make it work they'd probably need a partner to run domestic feeder flights from their hub(s). As insane as transatlantic ticket prices have become, their is certainly room to make it work. The service might not be for everyone, but anyone selling tickets for 20% or more below the current prices would attract customers even if it meant taking a connecting flight. The biggest risk to the business model would be how far existing transatlantic airlines might engage in a price war to force them out of business.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 28th 2014 at 2:52 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 3:21 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In order to make it work they'd probably need a partner to run domestic feeder flights from their hub(s). As insane as transatlantic ticket prices have become, their is certainly room to make it work. The service might not be for everyone, but anyone selling tickets for 20% or more below the current prices would attract customers even if it meant taking a connecting flight. The biggest risk to the business model would be how far existing transatlantic airlines might engage in a price war to force them out of business.
Interesting idea, that - the price war.

I'd not fly Ryanair across any body of water if you paid me, but if they force the likes of Aer Lingus or American to drop their prices (even BA but we want to avoid layovers), it might not be a bad thing. IF they can get hold of some 757s or 767s that is. Unless they really are going to try an all-economy transatlantic flight in a 737-800

I might actually try flying a fully loaded -800 from Shannon to Boston in Flight Simulator - see how far I actually get
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Indeed they could, BA use an A319 in an all business configuration. Its not impossible.
flown on it and its great...the 319 can take a maximum of 32 passengers and I suspect few take much baggage. it hops from London City to Shannon and tops up there while you clear immigration.

on the return , due to the Jetstream , they can do the whole JFK-LCY in one (oh plus its hard to take off from LCY fully fuelled without popping through the 50th floor of Canary Wharf )

actually looking it up the 319 has a range of 3700nm so I presume the latter fact is more pertinent than the jetstream
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry lads, but this is driving me nuts. BA uses the A318 on the LCY-SNN-JFK route.

Ahhhh, that's better
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed - I really did think it was a 19 but apparently not.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:40 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by civilservant
Indeed - I really did think it was a 19 but apparently not.
They do use the 319, but for normal short haul jet routes in standard configurations.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I know its not exactly the same, and its Canada, and our low cost carrier is high cost compared to Ryan Air fare wise, but Westjet is trying out their luck to Ireland this summer using a 737-700 and it's not flying as far as its only going from St. Johns, NL to Dublin, but should be interesting to see how it works.

Word is, the flights filled up quickly and have been popular.

But its not a particularly long flight from St. John's either.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:55 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I know its not exactly the same, and its Canada, and our low cost carrier is high cost compared to Ryan Air fare wise, but Westjet is trying out their luck to Ireland this summer using a 737-700 and it's not flying as far as its only going from St. Johns, NL to Dublin, but should be interesting to see how it works.

That flight would be 2,051 miles and the range of a 737-700 is 3,400 miles.

Next Generation 737s are rated ETOPS-180 so there's no reason they can't do transatlantic. Range doesn't always imply suitability though. I love the 757 and it's range is over 4,000 miles but I still prefer a widebody for long-haul. Felt a bit squished on the EGAA-KEWR flight I did with Continental back in '05.

Give me the 777 any day . Though, I will get to try KORD-EIDW on the A330 in the summer, which will be a new experience. I have only every flown on Boeing widebodies before (have done plenty of narrowbody Airbus flights though.)
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:55 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

"Trying" and "interesting" are not words I really want applied to any transatlantic flights I may be on.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:56 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
"Trying" and "interesting" are not words I really want applied to any transatlantic flights I may be on.
WestJet are, from what I hear, a half decent airline. I'd back them for success any day over Ryanair.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 9:03 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
WestJet are, from what I hear, a half decent airline. I'd back them for success any day over Ryanair.
"Better than Ryanair" isn't going to sell it to me either.

Wanted to ask you actually.... I'm on a 747 on my way over in April... Been on a bunch of those, so no mystery there. But on the way back I am on a 777... never been on one, How do they compare? (BA, if it makes a difference).
Old Feb 28th 2014, 9:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.....n Wanted to ask you actually.... I'm on a 747 on my way over in April... Been on a bunch of those, so no mystery there. But on the way back I am on a 777... never been on one, How do they compare? (BA, if it makes a difference).
I'd take a 777 over a 747 every time. BA used to fly CLT-LGW with 777's (BA abandoned the route and took their 777's with them ), and they're the nicest planes I've ever been on, smooth and quiet.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 9:49 pm
I have a comma problem

"Better than Ryanair" isn't going to sell it to me either.

Wanted to ask you actually.... I'm on a 747 on my way over in April... Been on a bunch of those, so no mystery there. But on the way back I am on a 777... never been on one, How do they compare? (BA, if it makes a difference).
I haven't been on a 747 (though they are my favorite plane for looks alone) but I Cath echo what Pulaski said about the BA 777. I flew one to/from Chicago via Heathrow on my first visit to the USA and it is hands down the most comfortable plane I've ever flown on for economy class, which is all I have ever flown.

Air Canada's A320 comes a close second. Mostly because it was the only domestic narrow body flight (Toronto-Calgary) I've been on that had full featured in-seat entertainment. The Top Gear Polar Special at 30,000ft -you can't beat it
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

Nowegian Air Shuttle had $480 US round trip from NY to UK announced last year, to start in Summer 2014. When I tried to buy tickets in early January, they were all gone. Not sure if any other airline will be trying this also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.