Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

£20 Elgar notes not valid as of July 1

£20 Elgar notes not valid as of July 1

Old Mar 12th 2010, 11:56 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default £20 Elgar notes not valid as of July 1

In case you have a mattress full of the old Elgar £20 notes, you might want to look at exchanging them in the next few months as they will be going out of circulation as legal tender on July 1. After that it's all Adam Smith, which was introduced in March of 2007 I think.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...al-tender.html

note, however: "After June 30 if a bank or building society refuses to swap a note, consumers have the right to swap the notes at the Bank of England itself. The Bank promises that it will honour the face value of any note issued, even notes from before the Second World War."
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £20 Elgar notes not valid as of July 1

Thanks for the heads up..about to take a trip home so will check the back of the drawers to see what we have
Old Mar 12th 2010, 2:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Must check my money envelope and send mine home with Mom when she visits.
Thanks for that.
We went for a visit after they had changed out the money another time and tried to use a large bill in Tesco, OMG the uproar, everyone looking and talking The someone tapped Dh on the shoulder and told him, those are out of circulation take it to the bank and they'll give you a new one. Why couldn't the lady on the till just say that instead of calling the manager
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Must check my money envelope and send mine home with Mom when she visits.
Thanks for that.
We went for a visit after they had changed out the money another time and tried to use a large bill in Tesco, OMG the uproar, everyone looking and talking The someone tapped Dh on the shoulder and told him, those are out of circulation take it to the bank and they'll give you a new one. Why couldn't the lady on the till just say that instead of calling the manager
The missus, her grandmother went for a trip to England a few years back, with a stack of cash from WW2 and the 50's and didn't realise it was all out of date
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The missus, her grandmother went for a trip to England a few years back, with a stack of cash from WW2 and the 50's and didn't realise it was all out of date
At least mine was only just replaced. Too funny, they probably could have made quite a profit selling to collectors
Old Mar 13th 2010, 7:35 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Way back I had a similar response when I pulled a bill out of my wallet: "Cor, a one-pound note, haven't seen one of them fer ages ..."

[Was there ever a 50p note? I seem to remember them, but maybe I'm thinking way back to the "10-bob" note]

I wish the UK would reintroduce a one pound note. All those heavy pound coins that end up stuffed in your wallet can put your back out. Also, ATMs seem to give you almost nothing but 20-pound notes - p*sses off shopkeepers no end when you buy a 50p bar of Cadbury's with one of them.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:22 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
In case you have a mattress full of the old Elgar £20 notes, you might want to look at exchanging them in the next few months as they will be going out of circulation as legal tender on July 1. After that it's all Adam Smith, which was introduced in March of 2007 I think.

I realise it's to make the note more secure........... but couldn't they have just changed the colour and kept Elgar..
Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:33 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sUgoBb8m1eE

I realise it's to make the note more secure........... but couldn't they have just changed the colour and kept Elgar..
It's ironic that a priceless jewel of British culture has been replaced by someone credited with being the founder of free market economics - the same free market economics that seem to be driving down the value of the British £20 note ...
Old Mar 13th 2010, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Way back I had a similar response when I pulled a bill out of my wallet: "Cor, a one-pound note, haven't seen one of them fer ages ..."

[Was there ever a 50p note? I seem to remember them, but maybe I'm thinking way back to the "10-bob" note]

I wish the UK would reintroduce a one pound note. All those heavy pound coins that end up stuffed in your wallet can put your back out. Also, ATMs seem to give you almost nothing but 20-pound notes - p*sses off shopkeepers no end when you buy a 50p bar of Cadbury's with one of them.

I think you ARE thinking of the 10 Bob note. Of course neither of us IS really old enough to remember it
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

It's ironic that a priceless jewel of British culture has been replaced by someone credited with being the founder of free market economics - the same free market economics that seem to be driving down the value of the British £20 note ...
...and a Scotsman on a Bank of England note...
Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Also, ATMs seem to give you almost nothing but 20-pound notes
Thing is they can only hold so much paper. If they filled them with fivers they'd run out quicker. (I know I used to have to fill them up)
Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank still have the authority to issue banknotes and the Royal Bank of Scotland still issues one pound notes. In my experience, they are hard to use in England.

It seems that only Bank of England notes are "legal tender" in England and Wales. The Sottish notes are not, but rather are in the nature of "promissory notes." ALL notes are "promissory notes" in Scotland, even Bank of England. In other words, no one has to take those one pound notes.

Americans don't really like their own dollar coins, but they can be used. I can't remember the last time I saw a two dollar bill, but they are still around. Most of American tourists do not like the pound coin because of its size, the Euro and 2 Euro coins are fine. So are the Canadian "Loonies" and "Two-nies." But then, I still carry a recent Vietnamese 5000 dong note in my wallet for amusement -- it looks hefty even if it is worth only about 21 US cents [pulled a couple of million out of an ATM in Ha Noi -- otherwise we used greenbacks which were openly much preferred. Hadn't seen that in many years].

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 14th 2010 at 6:27 am.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus Christ he's a ****ing Jock!!!!! WTF is a Jock doing on a Bank of ENGLAND note???

Whos next on the fiver.... Napolean, Franz Beckenbauer, Marcel fUcking Marceau??
Old Mar 14th 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Also, ATMs seem to give you almost nothing but 20-pound notes - p*sses off shopkeepers no end when you buy a 50p bar of Cadbury's with one of them.
I'm told by a friend who works in a Bank, ATM's have £20 rather than £10 because people will always round up ie you wanted £30 no £10's so make it £40! Another way to get us to spend more money I guess!