British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   £20 Elgar notes not valid as of July 1 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/%C2%A320-elgar-notes-not-valid-july-1-a-659037/)

penguinsix Mar 12th 2010 11:56 am

£20 Elgar notes not valid as of July 1

In case you have a mattress full of the old Elgar £20 notes, you might want to look at exchanging them in the next few months as they will be going out of circulation as legal tender on July 1. After that it's all Adam Smith, which was introduced in March of 2007 I think.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/m...0_1592279c.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...al-tender.html

note, however: "After June 30 if a bank or building society refuses to swap a note, consumers have the right to swap the notes at the Bank of England itself. The Bank promises that it will honour the face value of any note issued, even notes from before the Second World War."

lisa67 Mar 12th 2010 12:07 pm

Re: £20 Elgar notes not valid as of July 1

Thanks for the heads up..about to take a trip home so will check the back of the drawers to see what we have :)

Mummy in the foothills Mar 12th 2010 2:15 pm

Must check my money envelope and send mine home with Mom when she visits.
Thanks for that.
We went for a visit after they had changed out the money another time and tried to use a large bill in Tesco, OMG the uproar, everyone looking and talking :lol: The someone tapped Dh on the shoulder and told him, those are out of circulation take it to the bank and they'll give you a new one. Why couldn't the lady on the till just say that instead of calling the manager :rofl:

Bob Mar 12th 2010 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 8415418)
Must check my money envelope and send mine home with Mom when she visits.
Thanks for that.
We went for a visit after they had changed out the money another time and tried to use a large bill in Tesco, OMG the uproar, everyone looking and talking :lol: The someone tapped Dh on the shoulder and told him, those are out of circulation take it to the bank and they'll give you a new one. Why couldn't the lady on the till just say that instead of calling the manager :rofl:

The missus, her grandmother went for a trip to England a few years back, with a stack of cash from WW2 and the 50's and didn't realise it was all out of date :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Mar 12th 2010 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8415554)
The missus, her grandmother went for a trip to England a few years back, with a stack of cash from WW2 and the 50's and didn't realise it was all out of date :lol:

:lol: At least mine was only just replaced. Too funny, they probably could have made quite a profit selling to collectors :thumbup:

dunroving Mar 13th 2010 7:35 am

Way back I had a similar response when I pulled a bill out of my wallet: "Cor, a one-pound note, haven't seen one of them fer ages ..."

[Was there ever a 50p note? I seem to remember them, but maybe I'm thinking way back to the "10-bob" note]

I wish the UK would reintroduce a one pound note. All those heavy pound coins that end up stuffed in your wallet can put your back out. :rolleyes: Also, ATMs seem to give you almost nothing but 20-pound notes - p*sses off shopkeepers no end when you buy a 50p bar of Cadbury's with one of them.

Elvira Mar 13th 2010 9:22 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 8415116)
In case you have a mattress full of the old Elgar £20 notes, you might want to look at exchanging them in the next few months as they will be going out of circulation as legal tender on July 1. After that it's all Adam Smith, which was introduced in March of 2007 I think.

:thumbdown:

I realise it's to make the note more secure........... but couldn't they have just changed the colour and kept Elgar..

dunroving Mar 13th 2010 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 8417092)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sUgoBb8m1eE

:thumbdown:

I realise it's to make the note more secure........... but couldn't they have just changed the colour and kept Elgar..

It's ironic that a priceless jewel of British culture has been replaced by someone credited with being the founder of free market economics - the same free market economics that seem to be driving down the value of the British £20 note ...

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 13th 2010 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8416957)
Way back I had a similar response when I pulled a bill out of my wallet: "Cor, a one-pound note, haven't seen one of them fer ages ..."

[Was there ever a 50p note? I seem to remember them, but maybe I'm thinking way back to the "10-bob" note]

I wish the UK would reintroduce a one pound note. All those heavy pound coins that end up stuffed in your wallet can put your back out. :rolleyes: Also, ATMs seem to give you almost nothing but 20-pound notes - p*sses off shopkeepers no end when you buy a 50p bar of Cadbury's with one of them.

I think you ARE thinking of the 10 Bob note. Of course neither of us IS really old enough to remember it:lol:

Pharrya Mar 13th 2010 9:07 pm

It's ironic that a priceless jewel of British culture has been replaced by someone credited with being the founder of free market economics - the same free market economics that seem to be driving down the value of the British £20 note ...
...and a Scotsman on a Bank of England note...

mayhemuk Mar 13th 2010 10:13 pm

Also, ATMs seem to give you almost nothing but 20-pound notes

Thing is they can only hold so much paper. If they filled them with fivers they'd run out quicker. (I know I used to have to fill them up)

S Folinsky Mar 14th 2010 6:21 am

The Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank still have the authority to issue banknotes and the Royal Bank of Scotland still issues one pound notes. In my experience, they are hard to use in England.

It seems that only Bank of England notes are "legal tender" in England and Wales. The Sottish notes are not, but rather are in the nature of "promissory notes." ALL notes are "promissory notes" in Scotland, even Bank of England. In other words, no one has to take those one pound notes.

Americans don't really like their own dollar coins, but they can be used. I can't remember the last time I saw a two dollar bill, but they are still around. Most of American tourists do not like the pound coin because of its size, the Euro and 2 Euro coins are fine. So are the Canadian "Loonies" and "Two-nies." But then, I still carry a recent Vietnamese 5000 dong note in my wallet for amusement -- it looks hefty even if it is worth only about 21 US cents [pulled a couple of million out of an ATM in Ha Noi -- otherwise we used greenbacks which were openly much preferred. Hadn't seen that in many years].

Optimus Prime Mar 14th 2010 3:19 pm

Jesus Christ he's a ****ing Jock!!!!! WTF is a Jock doing on a Bank of ENGLAND note???

Whos next on the fiver.... Napolean, Franz Beckenbauer, Marcel fUcking Marceau?? :frown:

traceym Mar 14th 2010 4:05 pm

Also, ATMs seem to give you almost nothing but 20-pound notes - p*sses off shopkeepers no end when you buy a 50p bar of Cadbury's with one of them.

I'm told by a friend who works in a Bank, ATM's have £20 rather than £10 because people will always round up ie you wanted £30 no £10's so make it £40! Another way to get us to spend more money I guess!