Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

** URGENT REPLIES PLZ ** NEED children Brit passports...

** URGENT REPLIES PLZ ** NEED children Brit passports...

Old Jan 5th 2014, 8:33 pm
longing for Druidia

Spaceball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ** URGENT REPLIES PLZ ** NEED children Brit passports...

Hi all,
I haven't used this forum in a LONG time, as in two years ago, when my Northern Ireland wife (read UK national) and I (a native Texan) decided to relocate our young family from Northern Ireland back to Texas.

Unfortunately, our plans have not materialized as we wanted, and we are now starting the process of making a fairly urgent retreat back to Northern Ireland, much to our collective disappointment.

Anyway - the point - we need to obtain British passports for our 8 yr old (born in UK), 5 yr old (born in UK), and our wee 7 month old daughter (US citizen) born here in Texas.

We would like to know if anybody out there has any knowledge of whether or not it is possible to group several UK passport applications together as a group submission, instead of having to send each individually?

My wife only has one copy of her long-form UK birth cert - but we recognize that you normally have to submit one copy PER application submitted.

Our hope is that since the children are all related - and ours - that we can use her single long-form birth cert for all three applications simulatenously, so we can then have all three resulting Brit passports back at same time.

We have an urgency about our return to Northern Ireland, and so want to obtain the children's Brit passports ASAP - we don't have the time to submit each one and wait out weeks for each one to be delivered before submitting the next application.

Can anyone provide us with a quick answer on this?

I surfed the interwebz last night and came across a page that did refer to a "family" application - whereby several (up to 4, if I recall) applications could be grouped together, but I can't seem to locate that page now. I believe it was included in a Brtish Home Office page and not on another forum on immigration advice site.

This is such a headache - the urgency of our plans doesn't help - but I hope one of you sages out there may be able to help ease it for us somewhat!

Thank you all in advance!
Old Jan 5th 2014, 8:38 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ** URGENT REPLIES PLZ ** NEED children Brit passports...

Make an appointment to appear either at the UK passport agency either in Peterborough or London. You can have passports same day that way.

Expensive, yes, but that's what I would do if I was in your situation you describe.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 8:45 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace View Post
Make an appointment to appear either at the UK passport agency either in Peterborough or London. .....
Er, the OP is in Texas.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 8:46 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Er, the OP is in Texas.
I know. I'd get a flight back to England. Seriously. If they were in that much of an urgent need as described, it's the only way, surely?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 8:47 pm
longing for Druidia

thanks hh; hi.

But can you advise if that is possible under the following circ's:

My wife wants to take the children home via: Austin - London - Belfast.
Literally a ONE-WAY TIX for them.

Our 8 yr old = has Irish and American passports currently.
Our 5 yr old = has American passport currently (Irish passport expired).
Our 7 mo old = has American passport only.

If they are all to leave the USA for the UK, they can only travel on USA passports, correct?

Once they are arrive @ Heathrow, will there not be any immigration issue IF as you suggest, she takes them to the UK passport agency in London following entry into England?

I would have considered that our baby daughter would be disadvantaged because unlike our boys, she was NOT born in the UK. And so, unlike them, she does not have a UK birth cert. She only has her Texas birth cert.

Man - this is such a headache of a situation.

Thanks again for your reply - Im curious to know what else you can add or clarify, along with the views of others.

Last edited by Spaceball; Jan 5th 2014 at 8:53 pm. Reason: I'm an idiot and mis-typed a fact
Old Jan 5th 2014, 8:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
thanks hh; hi.

But can you advise if that is possible under the following circ's:

My wife wants to take the children home via: Austin - London - Belfast.
Literally a ONE-WAY TIX for them.

Our 8 yr old = has Irish and American passports currently.
Our 5 yr old = has American passport currently (Irish passport expired).
Our 7 mo old = has no passports.

If they are all to leave the USA for the UK, they can only travel on USA passports, correct?

Once they are arrive @ Heathrow, will there not be any immigration issue IF as you suggest, she takes them to the UK passport agency in London following entry into England?

I would have considered that our baby daughter would be disadvantaged because unlike our boys, she was NOT born in the UK. And so, unlike them, she does not have a UK birth cert. She only has her Texas birth cert.

Man - this is such a headache of a situation.

Thanks again for your reply - Im curious to know what else you can add or clarify, along with the views of others.
Your offspring are British Citizens so there shouldn't be any immigration issues. I would simply enter the UK with them using their USA passports and head to the nearest passport agency location above for your appointment to receive a UK passport for each child.

Your 7mo can enter with your wife on her passport, so no worries there.

Good luck!

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jan 5th 2014 at 8:52 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

If my wife's experience is anything to go by, obtaining an Irish passport in the US is pretty easy, I suspect easier than getting UK ones. As Irish citizens your children would be entitled to enter the UK free of immigration control and then you can obtain UK passports for them after arrival as and when you wish.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:37 pm
longing for Druidia

@ hungryhorace:

Yes, I assumed that as my two sons have their UK birth certs, there'd be no big deal relying on those if we got pulled from the customs entry line for questioning (i.e. because wifey and kids will be travelling on one-way tix).

But our 7 month old - from all the little notes I've seen online re infants and travel, for children born after 1980-odd, they can no longer travel on their British parents' passports - they have to travel on their own passports.

@ rpjs:

Hi there. Thanks for your comments - we've also been exploring the Irish route, but the issue there is that the baby's Irish passport will take several months to be processed, far too long to wait when our travel needs to be done between late Feb and late March/early April.

My wife rang and spoke with the Irish consulate in Chicago and the lady she spoke with told her that because our daughter was born here in Texas - the process will involve having the application and information contained checked over by both the Irish immigration authorities (bureaucracies, I mean, my bad) in Ireland AND in Chicago, meaning a delay in issuance, as it will be her first passport. I do realize she is a baby, and although she was prone to a bit of naughtiness while encarcerated in the womb, the passport folks due enjoy taking their sweet time in getting anything done.

My apologies for the sarcasm and insipidness of some of my comments - its my way of coping with some of the stress we're enduring through the last few months.

But thank you for your post - the Chicago Irish embassy have not seemed too fussed about giving my wife advice when she's rang them - she jokes that its probably because she's not a Southerner, lol!

Last edited by Spaceball; Jan 5th 2014 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post

My wife rang and spoke with an Irish consulate in Chicago and the lady she spoke with told her that because our daughter was born here in Texas - the process will involve having the application and information contatined checked over by both the Irish immigration authorities (bureaucracies, I mean, my bad) in Ireland AND in Chicago, meaning a delay in issuance, as it will be her first passport. I do realize she is a baby, and although she was prone to a bit of naughtiness while encarcerated in the womb, the passport folks due enjoy taking their sweet time in getting anything done.
That's a shame - my wife says it didn't take too long but she did have to go to the Irish consulate in Boston in person to do it, and before that she had had to get registered as an Irish citizen as she was getting it through her NI-born grandmother which made it a two-step process. And it was getting on for twenty years ago now so no doubt things have changed...
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:46 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I may be missing something but if you're a USC and the baby was born in the US, can't you just get a US passport for her to enter the UK on and then sort out arranging a UK passport when you get here?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:08 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl View Post
Sorry, I may be missing something but if you're a USC and the baby was born in the US, can't you just get a US passport for her to enter the UK on and then sort out arranging a UK passport when you get here?
It does sound like that's all that's needed.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 12:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl View Post
In post #5, the OP states that all three children have current US passports. So really there is no issue. All can enter the UK on their US passports. They are all British citizens. They can then get British passports if desired, but not urgently necessary.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Also, what's this talk of 'Irish' passports? If born in NORTHERN Ireland (or to a parent thereof), surely that's the UK, not Ireland, so no Irish citizenship is available?????
Old Jan 6th 2014, 2:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post
Also, what's this talk of 'Irish' passports? If born in NORTHERN Ireland (or to a parent thereof), surely that's the UK, not Ireland, so no Irish citizenship is available?????
I haven't researched this recently, but I believe when I was going for my Irish citizenship I read that residents / citizens of NI can obtain ROI citizenship with ease due to the historic ties between the two countries.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
In post #5, the OP states that all three children have current US passports. So really there is no issue. All can enter the UK on their US passports. They are all British citizens. They can then get British passports if desired, but not urgently necessary.
Except that he is talking about one-way tickets, so the possible problem would be the airline not allowing them to board with US passports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.