Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

** The Official USA job and career thread**

** The Official USA job and career thread**

Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all
Default Re: ** The Official USA job and career thread**

Just started the whole job hunt process here after finally receiving my EAD (here on L2 visa with husband). I held various Marketing Manager positions in the UK - just wondering if anyone has experience of the paid for job hunting services like McKenzie Scott? I've been approached my a few via resume on Monster but not sure if it's worth the time, effort or money? Can't say I'm looking forward to getting involved in this whole process!

Old Nov 17th 2005, 10:36 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Yup ... and being that some are reserved for certain sections ..
it was only 58k this year ..
Ray, I have a question. That's the second time on BE I've seen a reference to a subgroup within the 65k annual cap for the H-1B.

What occupations are in this subgroup and, more pertinently, are there any still left for this fiscal year?

OK, that was two questions. Sorry about that.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 12:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveC
Ray, I have a question. That's the second time on BE I've seen a reference to a subgroup within the 65k annual cap for the H-1B.
Cap and Set Asides. Congress has established an annual H-1B cap of 65,000. Of that number, 6,800 are set aside for the H-1B1 program under terms of the U.S.-Chile and U.S.-Singapore Free Trade Agreements. The total H-1B cap number available for FY 2006 is therefore 58,200. The law provides that any of the unused Chile/Singapore numbers be reallocated back to the FY 2006 H-1B cap. These unused numbers will be made available on October 1, 2006, the start of FY 2007. The law authorizes USCIS to make such unused numbers available within the first 45 days of FY 2007 to aliens who had applied for such visas during FY 2006. At that time, USCIS will announce how many Chile/Singapore numbers went unused and can be reallocated. USCIS will announce the process for distributing any reallocated numbers in a future press release.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

thesnowman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am moving over to america with my soon to be American wife in March next year. Thanks for all the tips and it has been handy finding out about that DICE.com as I work in IT Security.

I am a bit worried as I dont have a degree, although I do have some industry specific qualifications and some college diplomas.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where I could get equivalences for my Scottish qualificaions (Standard grades and Highers, effectively English O and A levels). I dont want any potential employer being confused with my resume.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 17th 2005, 1:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

www.wes.org
Old Nov 18th 2005, 5:58 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Tonights top tip is to be sure to check your junk mail when job hunting. I just found an acceptable offer from one of the major companies I was expecting a reply from, filtered into my junk e-mail . It's all such an anti-climax really
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:18 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Cap and Set Asides. Congress has established an annual H-1B cap of 65,000. Of that number, 6,800 are set aside for the H-1B1 program under terms of the U.S.-Chile and U.S.-Singapore Free Trade Agreements. The total H-1B cap number available for FY 2006 is therefore 58,200. The law provides that any of the unused Chile/Singapore numbers be reallocated back to the FY 2006 H-1B cap. These unused numbers will be made available on October 1, 2006, the start of FY 2007. The law authorizes USCIS to make such unused numbers available within the first 45 days of FY 2007 to aliens who had applied for such visas during FY 2006. At that time, USCIS will announce how many Chile/Singapore numbers went unused and can be reallocated. USCIS will announce the process for distributing any reallocated numbers in a future press release.
Thank you, sir.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Tonights top tip is to be sure to check your junk mail when job hunting. I just found an acceptable offer from one of the major companies I was expecting a reply from, filtered into my junk e-mail . It's all such an anti-climax really
So are you gonna take it?

Congratulations, BTW!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:40 pm
Ray

yere come on .... give us the skinny ...
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:43 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
So are you gonna take it?

Congratulations, BTW!
Thanks, I'm waiting for the other company that I drove 150 miles for a second interview. May as well see what they offer since it was my second interview and he promised to call me by the weekend. They are also different sized companies, different industries, it would be nice to go into the weekend with 2 offers to consider
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
yere come on .... give us the skinny ...
What do you want to know?
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:51 pm
Ray

What do you want to know?
Whatever you want to tell .. big relief for you I bet ..
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
Whatever you want to tell .. big relief for you I bet ..
Yes but kind of an anti-climax at the same time.
Big British corporation, similar money to last job( maybe more??), company car and a signing bonus( which I was not expecting??). Medical benefits and 401K. Not as much travel as last job, no Intl travel, which will be good with 2 sons
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Big British corporation, similar money to last job( maybe more??), company car and a signing bonus( which I was not expecting??). Medical benefits and 401K. Not as much travel as last job, no Intl travel, which will be good with 2 sons
Great news lionheart
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:47 pm
Ray

Well as a person who was refused a job as a greeter at Walmart (too old )
sounds bloody fantastic...Congrats ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.