Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

** The Official USA job and career thread**

** The Official USA job and career thread**

Old Nov 14th 2005, 2:17 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ** The Official USA job and career thread**

Originally Posted by ricflair
what kind of work do you guys actually do, and how did you get your chance to work in usa?
Many/most people posting here married a US Citizen and can work over here once they receive the appropriate paperwork. From your previous posts, that's not an option for you.

A few of us (including me) are here on H1-B or L1 visas. Personally, I'm in a highly unusual scientific field. There are 3 other people, at most, in North America who work in the same field. Even given that, it was pure luck that I managed to get an H1-B visa before they ran out in the year I applied. And despite my unusual skill set, I'm no closer to getting my Permanent Residency today than I was when I arrived 2.5 years ago.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

what kind of work do you guys actually do, and how did you get your chance to work in usa?
hehe...work...haha...

but here cos of marriage...it's the easiest way....

for you...ditch the wife, log on to msn, find a new bride, after a few years, and if bride 2 is a down grade, ditch her and get the first missus back....long haul, and hardly think it's worth the hassle tbh because after a couple years here you'll probably realise it's just as crap as any other country and not worth the ball ache *l*
Old Nov 14th 2005, 2:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
hehe...work...haha...

but here cos of marriage...it's the easiest way....

for you...ditch the wife, log on to msn, find a new bride, after a few years, and if bride 2 is a down grade, ditch her and get the first missus back....long haul, and hardly think it's worth the hassle tbh because after a couple years here you'll probably realise it's just as crap as any other country and not worth the ball ache *l*

Careful now, Bob - some blockheads might actually take you seriously!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Careful now, Bob - some blockheads might actually take you seriously!
hehe...now that's a scary thought *l*
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

ricflair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
hehe...now that's a scary thought *l*
Bloody hell guys, i was just about to look on the net to find myself an american wife then, didnt realise it was a joke!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell guys, i was just about to look on the net to find myself an american wife then, didnt realise it was a joke!
It was not a joke ... it happens all the time ...
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Originally Posted by lionheart
One of my favorites on the interview tips list is 'Do plan to arrive on time or a few minutes early. Late arrival for a job interview is never excusable.'

On my second or third interview I was an hour and 15 minutes late, a cement truck had turned over on the freeway shutting all lanes down except for the carpool lane.This turned my one hour 55 mile journey( which I had added more time so as not to be late) into nearly 3 hours! My A/C belt also snapped on the same journey. Imagine my surprise when I showed up dripping in sweat and very late only to not get offered the job
Talking about showing up for interviews. You get all dressed up get all your paperwork ready turn up early go over the questions in your head time and time again check yourself over just one more time before you walk in to give a good impression and the person that I was to meet for the interview never even bothered to show up and the staff didn't know were to call her. I did even get a call to say sorry or re schedule. Another one I went to a week later well they got the day wrong and I offered to come back the next day. That is were I got my new job.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

How about some tips on writing the 'perfect' resume/CV? Please...

Annette
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by nethead
How about some tips on writing the 'perfect' resume/CV? Please...
Depends on the field your looking at...but sell yourself, whoring is good...list accomplishments, what you've done to add sales/efficiency...or anything else you can offer them....they don't care what you like to do after hours or anything personal...the problem really is if your pretty fresh out of uni or only have a little experience, then you've got to bulk things up, but they don't really care about education so much, just list the degree...and honours...they seem to have a thing for honours around here, though depending on if there a plank or not, might not have a clue if you say degree cum laude...

Stick to one page, perhaps double sided if you have to, but no more...and ameranise the whole thing, especially corporate jobs because machine readers will probably throw resume's out that use English spelling thinking you've spelled stuff incorrectly...
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Bob, but it's not so much for me but for my husband. He works (usually) in IT, he's been applying to loads of jobs and not yet had an interview. He quit working at IBM to move here, he's a USC with years of IT experience but no degree.

Annette
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
...and ameranise the whole thing...
Americanise or americaniZe?

The chap hasn't got a degree, unfortunately. I could see that this is going to be a problem. They're sooooooooooo hung up about degrees here. US degrees at that... (It appears some recruiters here haven't heard of Leeds University!!)
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

The chap hasn't got a degree, unfortunately. I could see that this is going to be a problem. They're sooooooooooo hung up about degrees here. US degrees at that... (It appears some recruiters here haven't heard of Leeds University!!)
Yep, we think that is the problem, his lack of degree, and if they haven't heard of Leeds Uni, I don't think my degree at Bathy Spa is worth very much

Annette
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Aye....they do like using Z's don't they

And yeah, need a degree pinned to the top of a resume, preferably from the US, even some poxy community college degree seems better than nothing, and better than a degree from abroad, unless it's OxBridge....experience alone doesn't seem to do much good, probably because machine reader bins anything that doesn't have a degree written down...could always try and blag it with "A degree in Life" and see how far that gets him
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:22 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case anyone was in doubt what a f**k up I am, I would like to share yesterday's blog entry on interview number 13;

http://britishexpats.com/blogs/lionheart/

On a more positive note I have got a call back for a second interview for a position I tried for last week............ which means another 150 mile roundtrip drive to Rialto, CA at 7AM tomorrow. I am so tired and bored of this whole process
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:05 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by lionheart
Just in case anyone was in doubt what a f**k up I am, I would like to share yesterday's blog entry on interview number 13;

http://britishexpats.com/blogs/lionheart/

On a more positive note I have got a call back for a second interview for a position I tried for last week............ which means another 150 mile roundtrip drive to Rialto, CA at 7AM tomorrow. I am so tired and bored of this whole process
Tea and sympathy await you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.