British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   ***UK*** Visa question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/%2A%2A%2Auk%2A%2A%2A-visa-question-717578/)

peckythump May 18th 2011 10:23 pm

***UK*** Visa question

(Sorry if this has been asked before I tried searching first)

My wife and I are English who have been living in the year for 10 years (not got US citizenship yet - on green card)

We have two American born children with American passports..

We've not been back to England for 4 years and a friend of mine said that the UK Visa law has changed for English citizens with US children.

Do my kids need a VISA (we staying one month - just pleasure)
Thanks

Squirrel May 18th 2011 10:31 pm

Re: ***UK*** Visa question

US citizens don't need a visa to visit the UK but would usually get a 6 month visit stamp.

However you should be able to get your children UK passports as citizens by descent, which means they are full UK citizens but cannot pass their UK citizenship on to their own children unless they live in the UK for 3 years.

I'm sure somebody else knows how exactly but you can apply for the childrens' UK passports from the UK consulate nearest you in the US.

Noorah101 May 18th 2011 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by peckythump (Post 9373531)
(Sorry if this has been asked before I tried searching first)

My wife and I are English who have been living in the year for 10 years (not got US citizenship yet - on green card)

We have two American born children with American passports..

We've not been back to England for 4 years and a friend of mine said that the UK Visa law has changed for English citizens with US children.

Do my kids need a VISA (we staying one month - just pleasure)
Thanks

Why aren't your children UK citizens?

Rene

peckythump May 18th 2011 10:51 pm

Funny that I never really thought about getting English passports for my kids, I'll look into that.

But it sounds like for my trip in June I'll be OK without a VISA.

Wonder how a 3 and 6 year will do in their own immigration line :-) (Hopefully we just pick the shortest line!)

Thanks
Paul

Jerseygirl May 18th 2011 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9373549)
Why aren't your children UK citizens?

Rene

It sounds like they are but don't have a UK consular birth certfificate or passport.

Originally Posted by peckythump (Post 9373575)
Funny that I never really thought about getting English passports for my kids, I'll look into that.

But it sounds like for my trip in June I'll be OK without a VISA.

Wonder how a 3 and 6 year will do in their own immigration line :-) (Hopefully we just pick the shortest line!)

Thanks
Paul

You will go through EU Immigration...even if your children weren't Brits (which it sounds like they are) they would accompany you.

Bob May 18th 2011 10:51 pm

Your friends are being dicks.

Nothing has changed.

If you are both natural born Brit citizens, you pass it on to your kids, so they're Brit citizens. It's only a problem if you got your Brit citizenship through decent that it isn't automatically passed on.

Mummy in the foothills May 18th 2011 11:31 pm

Before I got my little ones UK passports I took them to UK on their US ones, and took them through the EU line with me, no problems.