Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$60k salary in Fredericksburg VA?

$60k salary in Fredericksburg VA?

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $60k salary in Fredericksburg VA?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Rete,

Your post contains a lot of good points and arguments that are well made, however there are many good reasons why you shouldn't expect a middle-aged couple from the UK to just slot in to life in the US despite their average/above average income.

Points I would make include, among other things:

The area is not the cheapest, even in Virginia.

Peaches cannot drive, and life in the US is very car-centric outside lf major cities.

They won't have the support network of family and friends.

Lacking knowledge of good and bad areas, and US housing habits, they may end up paying more for their housing than they need to to avoid what might superficially seem to be a "rough" area, whether in or out of town.

They are less likely to be comfortable cutting corners on healthcare, making-do with a visit to the pharmacy and an over-the-counter medication to save the cost of a visit to the doctor and a prescription.

They won't be comfortably with some routine fixes or repairs to plumbing or wiring, so might be more dependant on paying for help, and similarly might be more dependant on a high street car service facility that a neighborhood "guy with an oily rag".

They might rely more on electrical or gas heating and less on a fire or stove for boosting their heating, and conversely be less tolerant of heat and humidity, so use their AC more.

They might want to fund return flights to the UK which a "average" US household wouldn't have to budget for.
Plus her daughter, who lives with her, will not be able to come along. And there will be the expense of shipping two dogs over, I gather, and getting up to speed on all the immunizations that are essential for them in the US. In many places, dogs live far less visible lives in the US than they do in the UK, where one sees them out and about on the high street. (And don't forget to look for pet friendly rentals -- even if places do take pets, they will usually want an extra security deposit over and above the usual one.)
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Personally, and because hubby and I did exactly what the OP is contemplating in our early 50's, I think, if the couple REALLY want to experience life in the US then the job situation is doable based on:

- the salary is more than he is earning now
- they have some savings to fall back on for big expenses like a car
- they will be happy in an apartment for the first year or two
- utility costs will be the same if not more than in the UK
- there WILL be health insurance costs to consider
- there won't be immediate family for support
- they will make friends
- life is different in the US but they are prepared to 'muck in' and adapt.
- they are going to work hard to make it work.

We also don't know the complete picture of the current OP situation. If they are earning 40k in central London, that is hard, compared to earning $60 in some US cities. Except for the car part, you don't need a car in London.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Peaches1960 is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Dorset...
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:55 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peaches1960
We live in Dorset...
Where out of interest?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Peaches1960 is an unknown quantity at this point

Poole
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 10:31 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peaches1960
Poole
I grew up there. I wouldn't leave beautiful Poole for Virginia.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 10:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,Peaches1960
Look at trulia.com, zillow.com redfin.com for areas where you might consider living, this will give you a good idea of rental costs. Do speak to estate agents and ask about commuting times.

Make out a budget on excel listing all your current living expenses and try to match it with costs in the US. We will all help where we can. The healthcare cost is the one which is going to be tricky to figure out just because it is so company policy dependant. At the end of the day, you don't want to move and not have enough money to live the way you want to so it really does come down to budgeting for everything and seeing if it will work. Some things are cheaper here (petrol) , others more expensive ( car insurance, health insurance) so it kind of works out to be about the same.

Try not to dip into your savings too much for this move - a car is going to be the issue here. If you lease a car, then you will need a downpayment and buying secondhand cars is more expensive than the UK. Look on craigslist.com for fredericksburg to get an idea of costs.

There is a forum that I like which has a funny name but it's full of good ideas for living frugally in the USA - mrmoneymustache.

$65k is livable, you don't have kids' university fees to pay for, get cars that are cheap to buy/run. minimise commute time as much as possible.

And like the others have said try to get an L1 visa for your husband's move then you can work if you want to. Maybe try to get a green card written into the deal too?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 10:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Thing is though everyone has a different standard of living, some are content and happy at 30,000/yr where others act like they are poor on near 6 figures, its not up to you or I to decide what is an acceptable wage or standard.
Which was why I passed no opinion on the salary, but gave some examples of expenses. .... The result is not much, if any, change out of $50k gross; obviously 60k is better than $50k. Do we live on $50k gross? No, but if we needed to, that is what our budget would look like. I know that some people live on less, but that means some tough decisions, but you know that already.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 23rd 2016 at 10:55 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 10:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... Do speak to estate agents and ask about commuting times.....
No need, just put in to-from addresses into Google Maps - the travel times are real-time estimates, so from the UK pick take a look at around 12:30-1:00pm for the morning commute, and around 10:00-10:30pm for the evening commute. .... I would trust Google over an estate agent's guesstimate.
Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I grew up there. I wouldn't leave beautiful Poole for Virginia.
In many respects Virginia is even better than NC. If I had to leave NC it would most likely be to Virginia, much of the state is beautiful.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 23rd 2016 at 10:58 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The other big difference is food quality/cost, you can buy reasonable food in the UK for reasonable cost, in the US it tends to be cheap low quality food or expensive high quality food, not much in between. Our food bill is $200 to $300 a month for a family of 4. For instance a 6 pint (UK) / 1 gallon of milk is over $5(£4) here, a loaf of bread is around $5 and a box of cereal is about $5. In the UK , the price would be about half that from what I remember.

Last edited by mrken30; Nov 24th 2016 at 2:25 am.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by mrken30
The other big difference is food quality/cost, you can buy reasonable food in the UK for reasonable cost, in the US it tends to be cheap low quality food or expensive high quality food, not much in between. Our food bill is $200 to $300 a month for a family of 4. For instance a 6 pint (UK) / 1 gallon of milk is over $5(£4) here, a loaf of bread is around $5 and a box of cereal is about $5. In the UK , the price would be about half that from what I remember.
That's those crazy PNW prices again! We pay about $2.75 +/- for milk, and about $1.75 for a loaf of wholegrain bread ($3.50 for a twin pack). We don't buy a lot of cereal, but I think the branded boxes are around $4, but we buy the store brand at about $2.50ish.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's those crazy PNW prices again! We pay about $2.75 +/- for milk, and about $1.75 for a loaf of wholegrain bread ($3.50 for a twin pack). We don't buy a lot of cereal, but I think the branded boxes are around $4, but we buy the store brand at about $2.50ish.
We buy organic because we don't want GMO or growth hormones, I think you can probably buy the cheaper stuff for the prices you mention.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Our food bill is $200 to $300 a month for a family of 4.
That is STUNNINGLY cheap. Are two of them tiny babies, or do you eat out for a lot of meals that aren't included in that? We're a family of 4 with teens, so effectively 4 adults, and I can't get the bill much under $800.

Granted, that includes virtually every meal for the month - the kids take packed lunches to school and we don't eat out much. And alcohol's in there too. But $50-60 a week? That's around $2 per day per person. I could achieve sufficient but very repetitive calories on that, but not adequate long term nutrition.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm poor and I thought 60K was low for that part too being so close to 3letter gov agencies.
Driving is more than just socializing you will need to get things done like shopping, going to the doctor or dentist. Even if your husband will spend Saturdays driving there will still be things during the week to. You will have to budget in cab fare.

The folks on here are not being negative towards you husband you have to realistically look at what healthcare and living will cost you. There are a lot of fees on most everything here too the price you see is not the price you walk out of the door with.

I would not do it to that area unless:
They pay for your moving and pay housing & utility cost for the first 3 months. A lot of utilities will want deposits to set it up.
You find out what will your insurance cost both of you and what is your deductible? What is the prescription plan?
They up his salary 15K
Old Nov 24th 2016, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

We also don't know the complete picture of the current OP situation. If they are earning 40k in central London, that is hard, compared to earning $60 in some US cities. Except for the car part, you don't need a car in London.
We know where she is moving too though. It's also much easier for things to be hard in a place you know than a place you don't. Not having a car can be crippling if you don't have money for a taxi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.