Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$250k in New York City

$250k in New York City

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $250k in New York City

Originally Posted by london_calling
I get the impression American politicians worry that wanting to invest in mass transit makes you a communist.
That's a pretty accurate impression actually. Americans are very sensitive about their tax dollars being wasted by "leftists". Anyone who extols the virtues of public transit is a leftist apparently. Of course, that rule doesn't apply to roads for cars to drive on - in which case, the more money the better.

I was appalled by the negative reaction caused by suggestions that the rail system needed upgrades after the recent Amtrak crash in Philadelphia. What these anti-transit people don't understand is that America has a crumbling infrastructure that needs billions and billions of dollars of investment just to make it safe. We are still using civil war era bridges and tunnels that are in serious need of repair or replacement.

The irony is that Amtrak's northeast corridor (Boston-Washington) is very profitable and carries millions of people every year. Can you imagine what would happen if all those people were forced onto the roads?
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

We were in a similar position and lived in Murray Hill for a couple of years. Rent in the city is $3000/$3500 for a decent 1 bedroom and $4500 for a real 2 bedroom. Without kids you should reap the benefits of the city!

We moved out to White Plains for around $3000 for a 2 bedroom and easy car ownership, but like us, when you get around to kids you'll want a town with decent schools.

Metro North Express trains do exist (at peak times). You can get to Scarsdale, Hartsdale and White Plains in 35 mins; there's a Chappaqua express in the AM/PM peak that will get you there in 45. For Connecticut, Stamford is the first express at 50 mins. For the most part the trains are comfortable and cheaper than the UK. My monthly ticket is the same in dollars as it was in pounds.

Last edited by jaffy23; Jun 2nd 2015 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaffy23
We were in a similar position and lived in Murray Hill for a couple of years. Rent in the city is $3000/$3500 for a decent 1 bedroom and $4500 for a real 2 bedroom. Without kids you should reap the benefits of the city!

We moved out to White Plains for around $3000 for a 2 bedroom and easy car ownership, but like us, when you get around to kids you'll want a town with decent schools.

Metro North Express trains do exist (at peak times). You can get to Scarsdale, Hartsdale and White Plains in 35 mins; there's a Chappaqua express in the AM/PM peak that will get you there in 45. For Connecticut, Stamford is the first express at 50 mins. For the most part the trains are comfortable and cheaper than the UK. My monthly ticket is the same in dollars as it was in pounds.
To that I'd add that the Hudson line towns are probably even better value. We lived in Tarrytown in a 2/3 bed apt for $2100 a month. Peak hour trains from TT include several non-stop to GCT in about 35 mins, and off peak it has three trains an hour including one non-stop to GCT. We now have a house in Sleepy Hollow (formerly North Tarrytown) and I commute from Philpse Manor, one stop north of Tarrytown - most of the non-stop TT <-> GCT peak hours trains stop there too. Only 1tph off-peak but we usually drive down to Tarrytown and get the train from there if we want to go to the city at the weekend.

Last edited by rpjs; Jun 2nd 2015 at 6:26 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:06 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

My spouse grew up in the area and still has relatives nearby. She is amused that Manhattan got so expensive, that it causes a gentrification of Brooklyn which is now so expensive that people are now looking at Manhattan as more reasonable.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

JuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond repute

It's a nice salary
Old Jun 7th 2015, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It was from my perspective, from Westchester, Putnam, and Dutchess counties. Very poor compared to London. It was so bad from western CT that I decided there was no way for me to commute from there.... Short of habitually arriving in the office 30-45 minutes early, I faced being one delayed train or missed light driving to the station from being unacceptably late to the office. And this was one of several key reasons we left the NY area.

I don't live a particularly luxurious lifestyle, but I found the quality of life I could afford to be much less than in London on a matching salary at the prevailing exchange rate, which was at around $1.4/£1. I have consistently said that I would only return to NYC to work for about 50%-60% more than LondonCalling is considering because I found the cost of living to be that high. ...... Maybe I've just had it too good for the past 12 years down here!
Thanks for the personal insight, which does mirror my impression of commuting into NYC. I guess it depends from where you travel. Friends who commute from Essex County NJ report much the same. For me, being habitually early is great but not without an ability to leave a little earlier too.

I've heard positive things about the quality of life in NC, but it's not an option for us.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I was appalled by the negative reaction caused by suggestions that the rail system needed upgrades after the recent Amtrak crash in Philadelphia. What these anti-transit people don't understand is that America has a crumbling infrastructure that needs billions and billions of dollars of investment just to make it safe. We are still using civil war era bridges and tunnels that are in serious need of repair or replacement.
You're not wrong. The tone of the debate, inc from the public, indicates nothing will be done any time soon.

House panel votes to cut Amtrak budget hours after deadly crash - Heather Caygle - POLITICO
Old Jun 7th 2015, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
My heart bleeds. Yes, I think you could probably just about get by on $250k. You may have to ration yourself to meat only thrice a week though.
I'm well aware it's a decent salary, my point was whether or not it would enable a sufficient uplift in living standards to justify the relocation.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:06 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london_calling
I'm well aware it's a decent salary, my point was whether or not it would enable a sufficient uplift in living standards to justify the relocation.
Since you have given us no indication of your current standard of living I don't know how anyone could answer that. Assuming you rented in the city you would net about $160k filling jointly after federal, state and city tax. Which would be about $13.3k a month. A 1,300 square foot apt in a nice / central Manhattan area could run you anywhere from $20k to $4k / month. So your question really hinges on what your baseline line is.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:44 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously won't starve on $250k, but keep in mind that you will need to pay a city income tax (most US cities don't have one) and it is likely that about half of your take-home pay (net income after tax) will be spent on rent.

Combine that with the cost of eating out (a common sport for New Yorkers, in part because much of the housing is small enough to make most people claustrophobic), and your ability to put away savings won't be as high as the number would suggest.