Reload this Page >

$20 Wire Charge by U.S. Government

$20 Wire Charge by U.S. Government

Old Feb 16th 2008, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

zany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $20 Wire Charge by U.S. Government

Hi,
This is my first post. My wife and I recently arrived in the States. We are both retired and discovered (if our information is correct) that every time our pensions are wired from the UK to the US, the U.S. government takes a flat rate $20.00 for each wire. As we have two state pensions and one private that adds up to $720 a year excluding bank charges. My question is, who would I talk to about whether this charge could be waived in the case of pensions? I have thus far been unsuccessful in tracking down who to ask - our bank in the UK and our bank in the U.S. dose not know who to ask. Thought someone may have some knowledge on this subject.

Many thanks in advance.

Zany
Old Feb 16th 2008, 6:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $20 Wire Charge by U.S. Government

Originally Posted by zany
Hi,
This is my first post. My wife and I recently arrived in the States. We are both retired and discovered (if our information is correct) that every time our pensions are wired from the UK to the US, the U.S. government takes a flat rate $20.00 for each wire. As we have two state pensions and one private that adds up to $720 a year excluding bank charges. My question is, who would I talk to about whether this charge could be waived in the case of pensions? I have thus far been unsuccessful in tracking down who to ask - our bank in the UK and our bank in the U.S. dose not know who to ask. Thought someone may have some knowledge on this subject.

Many thanks in advance.

Zany
Presuming it goes bank to bank ..
I can't understand how the goverment is takng it ..
Old Feb 16th 2008, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Presuming it goes bank to bank ..
I can't understand how the goverment is takng it ..
Because they can. It doesn't go to the bank, they take out another fee. 3 wire transfers all received $20 less that was sent, it sucks. It's because all wire transfers go through the FEDWIRE system which I think is run by the Federal Reserve.

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Feb 16th 2008 at 6:42 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 6:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Because they can. It doesn't go to the bank, they take out another fee. 3 wire transfers all received $20 less that was sent, it sucks.
I still don't understand ..educate me ..
Old Feb 16th 2008, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

zany is an unknown quantity at this point

We couldn't understand how the U.S. government were getting the $20 each time either - that's why we asked both the sending and receiving banks to try and trace the missing funds that were disappearing each time a wire was sent. We now have a currency exchange broker trying to get to the bottom of this mystery since nobody seems to know where in the chain the money is taken - both the sending and receiving banks say that they haven't deducted the $20 that is missing with each monthly wire.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 6:44 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zany
Hi,

Many thanks in advance.

Zany
You can have the state pensions payed directly into your USA bank account, no charges, and they claim a better exchange rate because they buy in large bulk.

But I know of no reason for the US Gov to take your money. I had mine paid into my bank account from day1, so I haven't seen it come via draft.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:05 pm
Ray

I wonder if CHAPS is being used by the sender
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

It's because it goes through the FEDWIRE system and they charge for it.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is how it works.

Sending bank > US FEDWIRE system > Receiving bank. The bank sends the money to the FEDWIRE system as a gateway to all US banks. The Federal Reserve who run it take $20 out and then send it on to the receiving bank. That's why neither bank say they took the money because bank A did send the original amount and bank B only gets what the FEDWIRE system sends them and they don't know what was originally sent.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:15 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
It's because it goes through the FEDWIRE system and they charge for it.
Ah .. so it seems

So the OP would be better off having it paid into a UK bank
and then every few months sending it via XE or similar
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

How did you discover this charge? We have never noticed a $20 deduction, and we get monthly xfers.
And when we wired some money UK--US before, the only charge I saw was the $25 that our receiving bank charged.

Am I still not 'getting' it?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know how XE transfers from UK > USA but theres a chance it will still go through the FEDWIRE system.

I noticed it when I compared the paperwork from both banks and saw there was a difference. One said they sent X amount, one said they got X -$20.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:37 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I have mine direct deposit into my account here, quarterly. UK Soc. Sec. claims they get the best exchange rate, but they don't tell me how many GBPs go in, or what the exchange rate is for any particular payment, so I suppose I could be losing $20 to the feds each quarter.

If you can manage, transfer at longer intervals between transfers.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Taking my UK OAP and converting into the $ Exchange rate on XE has never shown a discrepancy of $20. My pension goes in on a Tuesday and I check the exchange rate from the prvious Friday onwards so if it is happening then I have not spotted it.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:34 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I wire back and forth weekly and have never paid a $20 charge--ever.

Maybe time to look for a new bank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.